Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lost 3 hours of my life

Options
On the Snake River Farm webpage.

I need this.

http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-kobe-beef/gold-grade/american-kobe-gold-grade-cap-of-ribeye.html

Please post your pictures of cooked SRF products so that I may drool over them and praise you as a god of meat. Need to see some wagyu on some eggs. 
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Didn't you cook a SRF brisket at the camp??  BTW-I am not a big fan of pics so once I post them ( and few they are) I delete them so only NSA has them now.
    Edit:  Agree that it is quite a website to peruse although can be expensive. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    I know SRF is pricey so excuse my ignorance here. Is that $199 for ONE rib eye steak 20-28 ounces?
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Didn't you cook a SRF brisket at the camp??  BTW-I am not a big fan of pics so once I post them ( and few they are) I delete them so only NSA has them now.
    I did, it was a SRF "Competition" Brisket. It was great. @JohnInCarolina cooked a SRF Wagyu Gold grade which was incredible.

I cooked another one of those SRF Comp brisket last weekend too and it was the best brisket I have ever done. It's why I'm suddenly so obsessed with SRF
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited October 2015
    Options
    busmania said:
    I know SRF is pricey so excuse my ignorance here. Is that $199 for ONE rib eye steak 20-28 ounces?
    It's not a ribeye per say. It's a full steak of just that incredible tasting rim of a ribeye. It's an entire cap, and it's wagyu gold grade. But, the price is prohibitive. And you need to buy two (or at least that's what I would tell the wife) so it's only $179 each then!
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    McStew said:

A true meat god HATH SPOKEN!  All rise for the honorable wagyu!
  • busmania
    Options
    busmania said:
    It's not a ribeye per say. It's a full steak of just that incredible tasting rim of a ribeye. It's an entire cap, and it's wagyu gold grade. But, the price is prohibitive. And you need to buy two (or at least that's what I would tell the wife) so it's only $179 each then!
    I gotcha but damn. Now I don't feel so bad buying the Whole foods 28 day rib eyes for $29/pound. I gotcha though on it being a slightly different cut. Someday maybe....
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    busmania said:
    busmania said:
    I gotcha but damn. Now I don't feel so bad buying the Whole foods 28 day rib eyes for $29/pound. I gotcha though on it being a slightly different cut. Someday maybe....
    I can't imagine buying one of those knowing the wagyu gold brisket is the same price and I can feed 15 with that and sides as opposed to just me on that ribeye cap. That's why this post says I want it, not I ordered it. But I bet it's farking delicious.
  • busmania
    Options
    busmania said:
    busmania said:
    I can't imagine buying one of those knowing the wagyu gold brisket is the same price and I can feed 15 with that and sides as opposed to just me on that ribeye cap. That's why this post says I want it, not I ordered it. But I bet it's farking delicious.
    Feed 15 off of one 20-28oz steak? Now I am even more confused. Where did I go wrong?
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    busmania said:

Feed 15 off of one 20-28oz steak? Now I am even more confused. Where did I go wrong?
    @busmania - You went wrong thinking he was still talking about the rib eye cap :)  He was talking about buying brisket for the same price and feeding 15, vs buying the cap and just having a large meal for one
    New Orleans LA
  • busmania
    Options
    Dondgc said:
    busmania said:

@busmania - You went wrong thinking he was still talking about the rib eye cap :)  He was talking about buying brisket for the same price and feeding 15, vs buying the cap and just having a large meal for one
    Thanks. I knew I was off somewhere. and I was thinking the same thing about buying the brisket vs this cut. Although it looks incredible.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I thought, after I read the thread name, that this was about a trip to the DMV....
    Options
    And Brisket Clause said all through the night HO HO HO and have a tender goodnight!  That looks delicious.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I did, it was a SRF "Competition" Brisket. It was great. @JohnInCarolina cooked a SRF Wagyu Gold grade which was incredible.

I wish we'd gotten more pics of that one!  I don't remember it having much of a smoke ring, but the flat was near perfect in tenderness.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina I didnt get many pics and I damn sure didn't get enough of the point!
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    I thought, after I read the thread name, that this was about a trip to the DMV....
    Come to CA you could cook a whole packer quicker than a trip to the DMV here.  

I drool over SRF but can't bring myself to jump in yet, my next is to try the rib eye cap at Costco, I just wish they sold it whole instead of pieces from each individual steak.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Damn you all!  So I'm gonna host a Waygu only egg fest at my house during the first week of March 2016.  Start planning.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    ^^^ that's how we roll in the Dirty South
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Manhattan Filet?  Looks incredible!
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I have now cooked 3 types of SRF Kobe Gold steaks.
    8oz center cut ribeyes, flat iron and tri-tip. 
    As far as tenderness the flat irons were hands down the best and flavor was good. The flavor in the tri-tip and little ribeyes were very good. 
    That said I just don't feel they were much, if any, better than a high end cut of meat from any quality store. I have found many great flat iron steaks at Kroger for $7-$8 a pound that rival SRF at almost 10 times the price. Granted, I did catch a sale at SRF but it still cost over $400 for 2 tri-tip, 2 flat irons and 5 8oz ribeyes. To me, the texture was to soft and mushy. I like tender, but for me the lack to bite texture was not there. Hard to explain, sorry.
    Not sorry I tried them but not sure I will spend the money to do it again.
    Hope this helps.
    Check a couple of my recent posts for photos if you like.
    The tri-tip cook yesterday on this page now was SRF Kobe Gold. It looks very pretty.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @Photo Egg-  I have only purchased two product lines from SRF-their black grade brisket on a repeat basis and some high end ribeye steaks once.  With brisket you can really taste the difference, for me, less so with the steaks (and all are from SRF not Double R).  
    I save the brisket cooks for special occasions (okay-sometimes it's just time).  But to each their own-and I have had Costco prime brisket that was every bit as good as an SRF.  (Must have been a lucky cook :) . FWIW- 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
     I just don't feel they were much, if any, better than a high end cut of meat from any quality store.

To me, the texture was to soft and mushy. I like tender, but for me the lack to bite texture was not there. Hard to explain, sorry.
    Brother Photo, you are not alone in this assessment. As with most things, taste and texture are perceived different from person to person and each has their own individual preferences. While there is no doubt a different taste and texture between top grade Wagyu Gold and select, no everyone prefers it. My daughter does not. She says the texture feels wrong and the taste is to beefy if you will. On the other hand, i absolutely love it. I prefer it by miles over everything else when it comes to brisket. Beef ribs or clod, not so much. I have often wondered if this is why Aaron Franklin chose Prime as his grade. Kind of middle of the road if you will. Something to appease everyone. Prime has the more traditional or common taste that everyone is accustom to. Wagyu has not been available to the general public for real long. As such, no one has an aquired taste for it. It seems to be a almost love or hate thing with very little middle ground. At the end of the day, folks should cook what they themselves like best. Not what so and so is cooking or is popular at the moment. The only exception i can think of to this is in competition. It doesnt matter if you like it or not, only that the judges like it. Short of this, a man should cook and eat what he enjoys. Above you said "Hard to explain". Really it is not. A man likes what a man likes. Plain and simple my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Photo Egg
    Options
    @SGH...

Nice way to word it.
    The brisket photos and reviews I have seen look stellar.
    I did not notice a "beefier taste" but the very high fat content did give it a slight buttery taste. 
    Better to have lived and learned for myself. Now I know. I like it but don't love it for the price but I'm willing to try anouther brand to compare some more.lol

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Photo Egg-  I have only purchased two product lines from SRF-their black grade brisket on a repeat basis and some high end ribeye steaks once.  With brisket you can really taste the difference, for me, less so with the steaks (and all are from SRF not Double R).  
    I save the brisket cooks for special occasions (okay-sometimes it's just time).  But to each their own-and I have had Costco prime brisket that was every bit as good as an SRF.  (Must have been a lucky cook :) . FWIW- 
    I had a small bite of the brisket at Salado Eggfest and it was melt in your mouth goodness...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas