Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vacuum sealers better than ziplocks?

Options
Really...are they?
I have considered buying one, but always stop before I do. It seems like a big expense, and where to store the thing?
However...I'm tempted again. Sam's Club has a Foodsaver V4825 for $119.98 after $30 instant savings starting on 10/28. 
But, really...are they worth the expense?
Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    itsmce said:
    Without question or doubt they are worth it my friend. There is no comparison.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    The food keeps a great deal longer when vacuum sealed.  We use ours all the time with leftovers now.  It does not take very long to recover the cost.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    OK, I'm getting the idea. Does anyone have experience with this particular model?
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    I've had two food saver brand vacuum sealers and had good luck with them, no idea what model numbers.
  • Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
    Options
    I have that one and have not had any issues with it, use it all the time.

Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    I have the foodsaver gamesaver, and I have been very happy with it, I have used it for a lot more then I originally thought I would have.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Vacuum sealers are definitely much better than plastic bags.  My foodsaver is so old that the foodsaver site doesn't even recognize the model number.  

At at one point, the foodsaver machines all used the same guts (motor etc).  Model differences were in features, accessories and shape.  Actual performance in drawing a vacuum were the same.   I don't  know if that is still the case, but I would suspect that most of their models are using the same vacuum motor.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I agree with everyone else that they are worth it. If I were to get a new one, I would make sure it is not a vertical one, rather a horizontal one where you "lock" the bag in place then manually start the vacuum process.   I find getting the automatic one to trigger is sometimes a pain, as well as it being larger. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    They're fantastic, you almost eliminate freezer burn and no more moldy cheese in the frig.  I've had the Foodsaver V3860 for 6 years or so with only one issue.  They sent me a replacement no questions, actually sent me two by mistake and didn't want the second one back, so I gave it to the kids.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    It's a must for freezing food, packaging cheese or bacon and it works great for quick marinating your veggies.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Try a straw and a Ziplock freezer bag.  Very inexpensive, very effective!!~~
  • pjs883
    pjs883 Posts: 15
    Options
    love mine, and they make air tight marinating containers that make quick marinating easy. 
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I have had the V2222 for about 10 years and few years back had to buy the foam ring around the sealing area.  I have picked 2 others up at  estate sales for $20 or less each.  Great for a back up or the other house.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

One of the biggest benefits nobody has even mentioned, and that is reheating.   Foodsavered brisket or pork butt heated up in hot water is darn near as good as fresh.

I've got the cheapest one they make - Costco about $60.  I use no name rolls off amazon, and I suspect it doesnt cost much more than using zip loc freezer bags.

Phoenix 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    you betcha! Had one for 15 years now and can't live without it. The day this one breaks I will buy a replacement immediately!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    blasting said:

I use no name rolls off amazon, and I suspect it doesnt cost much more than using zip loc freezer bags.

Got a link to the ones you buy? I've never seen anything even remotely close to zip loc prices. Thanks!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    I agree with everyone else that they are worth it. If I were to get a new one, I would make sure it is not a vertical one, rather a horizontal one where you "lock" the bag in place then manually start the vacuum process.   I find getting the automatic one to trigger is sometimes a pain, as well as it being larger. 
    I have had to replace two of the horizontal ones. I finally bought a vertical one and haven't had any issues. Mom is getting thr replacement horizontal one die Christmas this year haha
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • logchief
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I just bought some of these, hell of a lot cheaper than Foodsaver

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUT9DXK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

14.99 for 2 8" x 50' rolls.  Foodsaver 18.99 for 2 8" x 20'.  $0.015 per ft. versus $0.047 per ft.

Only draw back is the big rolls don't fit in the machine so you have to reroll them on an old tube, take minutes
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I end up vacuum sealing more for organization than preserving.  Love it!!
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • 78 T140E
    78 T140E Posts: 110
    Options
    I just got my Costco sale flyer for Nov in the mail. The FoodSaver 4980 Automatic Vacuum Sealing System will be on sale for $119.99 in Nov.  This sale price is not shown on the website yet.  This model sells for about $185 on Amazon Prime.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I think about getting a food saver from time to time but still haven't purchased one. I have a lot of ziploc bags still on the shelf. I saw the idea of using a straw to get the air out of ziploc bags but that isn't very appealing for freezing raw meat. Is there any way to use ziploc bags in a food saver until I use them up?
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    blasting said:

I use no name rolls off amazon, and I suspect it doesnt cost much more than using zip loc freezer bags.

Got a link to the ones you buy? I've never seen anything even remotely close to zip loc prices. Thanks!
    @Carolina Q 
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUT9DXK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

(2) 50' rolls @ $14.99 will make 150 bags at 8" (.10 cents per piece)

I also stock the larger size bags but don't use them near as much as the smaller ones.

http://www.amazon.com/Vacuum-Sealer-Bags-Commercial-DESIGN/dp/B00I1OM7TO/ref=pd_sim_79_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=31NXTqja0rL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR151,160_&refRID=0MFV71Q4G6H3MHJCK8HQ

OP - yesterday I had foodsavered brisket chili for lunch and foodsavered pulled pork for dinner.  Today I'm unthawing raw chicken wings for lunch which I buy in bulk from RD in 40lb boxes and repackage.  I'm also defrosting pure lemon/lime ice cubes that I foodsaver 4 at a time for water flavoring.  I use the thing constantly.  I'm always just a few minutes away from a great meal, and I buy in bulk a lot more.  Get one for sure.
    Phoenix 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Shiff said:
    I think about getting a food saver from time to time but still haven't purchased one. I have a lot of ziploc bags still on the shelf. I saw the idea of using a straw to get the air out of ziploc bags but that isn't very appealing for freezing raw meat. Is there any way to use ziploc bags in a food saver until I use them up?
    No, but a vac sealer won't completely replace ziplocs. I use a lot of both. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Shiff said:
    Is there any way to use ziploc bags in a food saver until I use them up?
    There are several YouTube videos showing various methods. None of them worked for me. The only time a method seemed to work, the seal failed (not my vac seal, the zip loc edge seal) so I decided it was pointless and gave up. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• logchief
    Options
    You can even get an attachment that will vac seal mason jars with the hose attachment or reusable zip lock bags.  I don't think the zip locks hold the seal as long as regular, but for cheese they're great. 
  • logchief
    Options
    Shiff said:
    No, but a vac sealer won't completely replace ziplocs. I use a lot of both. 
    Very true
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Blasting, thanks. Bookmarked. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    itsmce said:
    Really...are they?
    I have considered buying one, but always stop before I do. It seems like a big expense, and where to store the thing?
    However...I'm tempted again. Sam's Club has a Foodsaver V4825 for $119.98 after $30 instant savings starting on 10/28. 

Good price .I use the next model up from that with the extra control for pulse sealing .More control . Been using Food saver since they first came on the market ,must use mine at least 2 or 3 times a day .Would not be without it .Once you have one you won't know what you did without it .No more wasted food .NO freezer burn.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I don't think you can find it anymore, but we have a Wolfgang Puc Vacuum sealer.  We like it because it was easier to clean than the others.  We use it to buy bulk meats and portion it out ourselves and vacuum seal it. Works GREAT.