Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

20 Pound Packer

Options
picked up a 20 lb packer at Walmart today. Rubbed qnd smoking away at 260. I've sobs a few briskets but have not had great results. Hoping this one is the one. What temp do you all shoot for. My plan is 185 in the flat. I'll cit the point off for burnt ends when the flat teaches 185. Thoughts?
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'd start probing at 185-190 In the thickest part of the flat. I've had some done at 190, some at 200ish. The key isn't temp but a nice jiggle and probing like butter.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited October 2015
    Options
    For the most part, I'm going to leave you in the very capable hands of the Brisket Gods. However I would like to point out that there are a couple of real common preferred methods for separating the flat and the point when the point is going to be used for burnt ends. First is to separate them before cooking. Second is to separate them when the internal temp is 160-165 degrees. And last, to separate them when the packer is done. Each has their advantages and disadvantages. I feel that most folks already know these and as such I will not debate the merits of each method. With that said, and for obvious reasons, I always separated when the brisket was done. These days I use either pork or beef shoulder meat for burnt ends. I leave the point intact and serve it as the star of the show. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Probe tender in the flat and then do the burnt ends.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    As above, the finish-line is all about the feel in the thickest part of the flat.  I learned that from a wise 'ol buffalo  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    Nailed it!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Looks like a banquet waiting to happen.  Enjoy...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    The point didn't chip into chunks as much as I expected a it was more stringy like pulled beef, but man is it delicious!
    Mark Annville, PA