Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Taiglting

Options
All, 

I am doing a little bit of research to see if I am alone in this department. Personally I hate the planning process and only enjoy the community and eating but everything else is a struggle for me. 

Can you help me with the following questions: 
1. Where do you need help in planning a tailgate? (Timing, Recipes, Planning etc) 
2. What has helped you the most during tailgating season? (Product, Plan, etc) 
3. What stresses you out the most through the tailgating process?

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I assume you mean Tailgating.....not sure what  taiglting is.

1) Have this down to a science
    2) Past experience and love the Tailgaters Magazine on line periodical is free https://cloud.3dissue.com/96043/96462/113567/Tailgater0615/?utm_source=TGMAug2015A&utm_campaign=Aug+A+Enewsletter&utm_medium=email  
    3) This is a stress relief.....not a stressful experience....except when my team looses. Then it can suck, but we still generally win at tailgate. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Hands down the most important thing is don't run out of beer! I've had more fun at tailgates with just brats and burgers than the times I've done steaks and more elaborate cooks. Don't stress... just have a good time. You'll have to draw your own line on where that happens. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Come on big guy, you're taking this too hard and serious.  Cook, eat, and be happy.  

+1.

It sounds like you're working too hard.  It's supposed to be fun.  Relax and enjoy it. 

Are you straying too far from the basics of meat, fire, and beer... and maybe some bags of chips?  The only thing that stresses me out is my wife making me make sure we have sides (particularly if they require preparation) and tablecloths and stuff.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options

"What stresses you out the most through the tailgating process?"....Being a Texan Fan...lol 

Tailgating is very similar to cooking at an Eggfest. 
    Prep is the name of the game. Prep as much before you leave home. All the little things that you put off add up when you are trying to cook and have fun on game day. 
    Plan quick cooks that you can get on and off the grill fast. Sliders, grilled shrimp, beef or pork on skewers that are already stuck, and or marinated in food saver bags. 
    Or one larger cook like fajitas.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options

Prep and planning are essential to any great tailgating event. If you plan on starting early for a late game, the sky is the limit. If it is show up, grill, drink and head to the seats, make it quick and easy.

Make a checklist of the essential things you will need. Don't fret too much if you forgot something, add it to the list for the next time. Usually, there are enough tailgaters that have whatever you may have forgot and will help you out.

Have fun. I have a check list, for either scenario, which I use for every trip. I always find just one more thing, each time, I will add for the next trip. CDO requires that of me.

I abide.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    YukonRon said:

Good win for your Cats this past weekend.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Interesting questions - book? article? tailgating app?  Doesn't sound like you're looking for help, looking for the problems?

I'm in the keep it simple camp.  If you want to go big, do it with just one item, keep everything else simple.  I like to eat standing up at tailgates, so nothing that needs a knife.  I can't stand seeing the amount of wasted food at tailgates because everyone wanted to bring something or wanted to impress everyone else - take turns, skip a week.  Clean up and storage for tailgate food is a pain in the ass, I suspect most of what gets brought home gets thrown out.

Most stressful for me is finding a good spot, getting there in time, finding everyone we're meeting up with, and then where are the bathrooms!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @northGAcock Hey thanks! I wish we had used the OL we used against MO, when we played the Gators. It would have made a huge difference and may had changed the outcome of the game. Well, why not wait for another year, we are 0-29 against them, 30 will be no problem.
    USC looked really, really good Saturday. I noticed the made some changes on both sides of the ball. That was a big win. Pharoh is a freaking stud.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • tailg8ers
    Options
    All, 

I am doing a little bit of research to see if I am alone in this department. Personally I hate the planning process and only enjoy the community and eating but everything else is a struggle for me. 

Can you help me with the following questions: 
    1. Where do you need help in planning a tailgate? (Timing, Recipes, Planning etc) 
    2. What has helped you the most during tailgating season? (Product, Plan, etc) 
    3. What stresses you out the most through the tailgating process?
    In response to your questions:
    1.  Areas of needed help -  bottom line it we always try to keep it simple - but the biggest issue is diversity - we have it down as far as timing - planning isn't much of an issue except waiting on the conference to announce game times - could anyone fix this?! - have to know what time kick-off is in order to figure out what to bring.  Having been a college football parent - and being part of a parent group - we all became advanced tailgaters while our sons were playing - maybe that is the area we needed help -how not to worry about your boys!!   -
    2.  What is most help? - Having a great group of people excited about hanging out despite the weather! - and everyone pitching in - either eating or at a minimum bringing the beverages!!!!
    3.  Stresses most - knowing that you have to cram it all back in the car when you aren't necessarily sober - nor is anyone else in your group!! (and I'm not being a wise cracker.   Despite having little food leftover and really very little beverages left - hard to get it neatly packed. 

Bottom line - our overall philosophy- just have fun - surround yourself with some great folks and turn the individual tailgates are really just one big party - even if the week's competition is set-up next to you!  The only thing to really get stressed out about is how the game is going to go!!!  Even if it is just a game!
    Cary, NC    LBGE & Mini Max
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    All depends on how big you are going.

Simple burgers and chips vs generator with TV, music, fans, multiple tents, several main dishes and multiple sides.

Remember, whatever you bring and set up, you must take it down and pack it back in the vehicle as well!

If you can stage cooks, that'd be easier.  If I'm doing pulled pork like I'm doing for a buddy coming from MS to Athens for the UGA vs AL game on Saturday.  the butt will be cooked on Friday night, turbo style, and foiled.  She will rest on the way to the parking deck.  Pulled on the spot.  Sides will be something easy for a cheap throw-away stamped metal charcoal grill - I will stull use lump in side it!

Drinks - definitely a cooler-mandated environment.  It can cover the soda for the kids to the longnecks for the adults, to the hard stuff for soothing a bad evening on the field.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• shubydoobydo
    Options
    All thank you for the feedback... i need to ease it down a bit. I am definetly in the mindset that i have to have the best tailgate with the best food. Sounds like it all comes down to planning/prep. Thanks if anyone else has any further feedback im all ears!