Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butts Bone in

Options
Thanks again all for the warm welcome this week! These butts are going to be my first experiment on the Egg. Here goes nothing. 

XLBGE /MiniBGE / Maverick 733 x 2/ Woo2 / CGS 17.5 Stone

North Carolina land
pig.jpg 88.8K

Comments

• AaronH
    AaronH Posts: 145
    Options
    Quick Question before I start. Should I use the Rockwood or the BGE bag that came in the bundle? Looking for longer burn time because these are huge. 

North Carolina land
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    You'll be fine with either, but many prefer RW because of nuetral flavor that allows the wood smoke to take center stage 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • AaronH
    Options
    Also, for a 10-11 hour cook, Do I fill the coals all the way to the top of the firebowl? 

North Carolina land
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Fill it beyond. Only leave enough room for your platesetter and you'll have more than enough 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,035
    Options
    You might want to save the Rockwood lump for cooks that you want with less smoke. BGE lump (Royal Oak) will be good for this cook.  It's really hard to pick up the smoke flavor with this cut of meat. It will take 2-3 wood chunks before you get that smoked flavor with a pork butt. You won't get much if any with just the charcoal. I'd save the Rockwood for more of a delicate meal 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • AaronH
    Options
    I always get great smoke flavor with Boston butts with my old smoker. I am going to use Apple chunks on top of the lump after they are good and hot.  So with the Xl, I'd estimating that it will take a good half bag right? 

North Carolina land
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    ArronH...do a search on the "Turbo" method of doing butts. Used to fill the egg to the top of the fire ring with lump and spent half the night checking temps. Butts turned out great but I could get 2 8 pounders done in about 5 hours to 200* IT doing the turbo method. 350* dome indirect works for me.

Opelika, Alabama
  • AaronH
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I like the low and slow. Around 225-230 for 10-11 hours and pull it around 195 IT.  

North Carolina land
  • BIll-W221
    Options
    Good luck, i'm sure you'll do great !!!!
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    I'm a low and slow guy too.  I'll do turbo if I'm in a time crunch, but I prefer the low method.  Nothing wrong with a turbo butt, but I prefer the bark on the low and slo cooks.  Good look on the XL maiden cook.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Instead of just dumping the wood chunks on top of the lit lump, mix some chunks in with the lump. Once it is started you can toss a chunk on top as well if you want. That way as the fire burns, it will keep giving off smoke.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    Half a bag of Applewood chunks is just about way too much.  I'd add maybe 4 chunks and don't add them all on top, bury a couple.
  • AaronH
    Options
    sorry, I meant half a bag of coal

North Carolina land
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
  • AaronH
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Man, these Butts are stalling big time.  Threw them on at 9 last night at 240 and they are only at 183 internal......

North Carolina land
  • AaronH
    Options
    bumped the temp up to 260 and they hit 195 in the last 2 hours. They are resting right now in foil. I'll post pics as soon as I can! 

North Carolina land
  • AaronH
    Options

North Carolina land
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Well, you shouldn't have any more "butt" questions.
    Looks like you nailed it!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • AaronH
    Options
    Thanks man

North Carolina land
  • AaronH
    Options
    I should have wrapped them like I usually do at the 5 hour mark. Lesson learned. 

North Carolina land
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    AaronH said:
    I should have wrapped them like I usually do at the 5 hour mark. Lesson learned. 
    Why??
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • AaronH
    Options
    To get through the stall period a bit quicker. 

North Carolina land
  • Durangler
    Options
    Gotcha.
    Thought maybe the bark was a lil rough. :)
  • AaronH
    Options
    I'll be honest, previously on my old smoker I NEVER used a thermometer, I just new my smoker very well and went on hours cooked. Always turned out excellent , juicy pork.  This first batch on the egg was a little drier than my other smoker and by no means do I blame that on the egg.....I blame that on me. I am going to cook this again soon but one on my old and one on the egg with both grills probed this time. That's how i am going to dial this egg in. 

North Carolina land
  • Durangler
    Options
    Sounds like a plan.
    My XL likes 240-260 for low n slow.
    225ish is a bit sketchy for a long cook.
    FYI, grid temp will be lower than dome temp for quite awhile, but will come together after a few hours.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    AaronH said:
    I'll be honest, previously on my old smoker I NEVER used a thermometer, I just new my smoker very well and went on hours cooked. Always turned out excellent , juicy pork.  This first batch on the egg was a little drier than my other smoker and by no means do I blame that on the egg.....I blame that on me. I am going to cook this again soon but one on my old and one on the egg with both grills probed this time. That's how i am going to dial this egg in. 
    Totally way to do it. These things seem to have a very distinct personality.  By the way, welcome to the machine.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky