Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Pork Butt video

Options

I made this quick video on Smoked Pork for some friends that requested a quick guide. 
I hope you like it !

Comments

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Very, very nice video.
    Thanks for posting this.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    I'll buy a butt, by the single, on sale for $1.69 or less. A few years ago I was able to get them for $0.99 a pound while working in Virginia.
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options
    IMO you do not need water in drip pan nor do you need to add water to drip pan after 10 hours. 

Cool video 
    Brandon, MS
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Outstanding video.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    Wow great video
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Pretty post brother EAT!  Very nice!  Just another thought. Fluid in the drip pan is both unnecessary and puts your egg at risk of temp spike if and when your fluid evaporates. The ceramic cooker insures your moisture.  Great rub, L & S and your in. Can FTC 4-6 hours if necessary.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Very nice quality of video - well done.

Why is that butt priced at $685.04?  

Phoenix 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @EAT - Brother, you did a great job on the video. Impressive my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    Nice video! That is some fine grub right there. My local Meijer store has Boston butts for 0.99/lb through this Wednesday. Needless to say… it was time to stock up over the weekend!
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Great video and the pork looks perfect.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Perfect!
    However, I do one thing different.  I always light my lump in three spots no matter what my target temp is. 
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    blasting said:

Pricing error?

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    blasting said:

Pricing error?
    Hopefully.  PB are my fav, but that puts them out of my price range.

The tag isn't in English - I was thinking it may be another currency and was curious.
    Phoenix 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Nice vid.  

For overnighter cooks on the WSM and BGE, I always add some water to the drip pan at about the plateau.  Not a full pan, just enough to keep the rendered grease from burning away.  

Have learned that smell, and taste, is not appealing.  Happened alot when I used to cook chicken indirect on the BGE.  Putting a glass of water in the pan at the halfway point, and as necessary, helped tremendously with flavor.  

Dump a little water in the pan approaching the later stages of a rib cook too.

This doesn't happen on the Weber kettle because of a two-zone fire, with the drip pan being completely away from, and not directly above, the fire/heat.  Some still do add water though, more for a heat sink and better control.  Sorry to ramble, I really enjoy the "my egg ensures moisture" train of thought.    

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Nice job on the video! 
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• EAT
    EAT Posts: 39
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments and suggestions !!!.
    regarding the price on one of the pics, dont be alarmed, price is shown in Pesos and not in USD. I bougt these Butts at H.E.B. Super Market, they have stores in Texas and also some in Mexico. HEB has the best quality Pork Butts I have found so far. 
    I have always prefered some water on the drip pan to avoid the grease from possibly burning.
    I would like to do more videos later on, any suggestions welcome !!!
    Thanks
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @EAT,
    Will get you setup with a treestand, gear, for the upcoming archery deer season.  You can crash at my place.  Food, booze provided prn.   

We will start shooting in Oct.  

Only request is either "Superbeast", "Dragula" from Hellbilly Deluxe, or "More human than human" from Astrocreep: 2000.  You decide.  

I will get started scouting two tree spots  ;)  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Nice video.  I have to agree with the others though - water isn't needed in the egg.  I suggest trying a couple more butts without the water in a drip pan.  I have probably cooked 75 pork butts and never had an issue with burning grease causing a bad taste.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.