Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frost warning

Options
Snow to the South, frost warning here, WTF??? Not cool at all right now. Family is camping down in the mountains right now, nothing but snow. Just an OT post, because "rum". 
County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    No frost in Dixie. It's hot in the shade here. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    SGH said:
    Was 30c plus 2 weeks ago!!! (86F) or so...
  • SGH
    Options
    SGH said:
    Was 30c plus 2 weeks ago!!! (86F) or so...
    We are still smoking hot. It will be hot here until December. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bigalsworth
    Options
    Do you know anyone that needs refinery operators down there @SGH sounds like I could handle that weather
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • SGH
    Options
    Do you know anyone that needs refinery operators down there @SGH sounds like I could handle that weather
    Brother that I know of, Chevron in Pascagoula has a freeze on hiring due to low oil prices. But I will certainly keep my ear open. Same thing at Shell in Mobile. Until oil skyrockets again, most are cutting back personel. But I will let you know if I hear of them looking for operators. 

Status- Standing by.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    We've had a few cold nights. I could see a dusting of snow in the mountains a few days ago. My son lives at about 8,000 ft and has had some  38°  nighttime temps. Won't be long until fall.  

I'm just hoping we don't get another September snow storm this year. My trees have taken a beating from them early storms the last few years. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    SGH said:
    Brother that I know of, Chevron in Pascagoula has a freeze on hiring due to low oil prices. But I will certainly keep my ear open. Same thing at Shell in Mobile. Until oil skyrockets again, most are cutting back personel. But I will let you know if I hear of them looking for operators. 
    I'm not sure if my qualifications would transfer to the US and I doubt I could get my wife to move south, even with warm weather as the carrot lol.  Canadian oil companies are tightenung as well.  We do have a refinery being built near Edmonton Alberta that is hiring for the commissioning/startup and then ongoing operations but they seem to be only only place doing any hiring.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Snow to the South, frost warning here, WTF??? Not cool at all right now. Family is camping down in the mountains right now, nothing but snow. Just an OT post, because "rum". 
    Just an early harvest of ice wine......no prob :o
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    SGH said:
    I got sick from the heat today. Frigging summers in the south SUCK. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Send this blue wing talk on down for the opener!

Gracias, eh?
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Spent the whole day with big people in little clothes at a water park. No frost. 
  • SGH
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    SGH said:
    I got sick from the heat today. Frigging summers in the south SUCK. 
    Brother Miah, it's the high humidity that makes it so bad. I was looking at the weather app last night and temp was 89, but due to the humidity the feels like temp said 102. At night. Pitiful.  

Status- Standing by.

• clifkincaid
    Options
    I wish we had rain. Washington state is on fire all over.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @AlbertaEgger   I'm from your neck of the woods, now in phx.   I'm probably the only person in the state currently having a bonfire.  It's 103 @ 10pm.

Bonfire is my clean burn on the UDS I'm building - had to clarify, so ya'll don't think I'm more nuts than I really am.
    Phoenix 
  • SGH
    Options
    blasting said:
    Bonfire is my clean burn on the UDS I'm building - 
    Are you using a 55 or 30 for your drum?

Status- Standing by.

• blasting
    Options
    SGH said:
    blasting said:
    Bonfire is my clean burn on the UDS I'm building - 
    Are you using a 55 or 30 for your drum?
    55 gallon.  As you know, it's a ridiculously simple project, but for some reason I'm having a lot of fun sourcing the parts and putting it all together.

Phoenix 
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    23C today, just getting ready to take the kids lake fishing. 
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    I wish we had rain. Washington state is on fire all over.
    We have been getting haze and smoke the last few days from the fires in California and Washington here in Albuquerque. 

Luckily so so far so good and no major fires here in NM
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Nice here in Ontario low 20 c (72-76) f
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    We're still in the 40s for our lows.  The leaves have begun starting to fall, though.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options
    Check out flint hills and Valero in Corpus Christi for refinery jobs, rarely does it cold and when it does it is just like the tourist, they leave after a few days....
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • SaskNortherner
    Options
    We got down to 1C for three hours from 4 to 7 this morning. I was out at 8 and everything had a white shine to it. So far the garden has not turned black. Time will tell.
    LBGE,Mini Max,Stoker Meadow Lake Sask.
  • SGH
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Still no frost in Dixie yet.

Status- Standing by.

• erniemcclain
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    We've had a few cold nights. I could see a dusting of snow in the mountains a few days ago. My son lives at about 8,000 ft and has had some  38°  nighttime temps. Won't be long until fall.  

I'm just hoping we don't get another September snow storm this year. My trees have taken a beating from them early storms the last few years. 
    I have friends in Lost Spring (about half way between Douglas and Lusk) he posted a pic on FB from his truck thermometer this morning at 5:45 and it was 27*.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• SGH
    Options
    at 5:45 and it was 27*.
    I would give anything to wake up to cool weather like that just one time in Dixe. Especially in August. Our only chance (and it's very slim) is in January.  Even then it's subject to hit 90 before the day is done. 

Status- Standing by.

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Like @clifkincaid said, no frost in Oregon, either.  Wildfire smoke all over the state, from the Pacific Coast to the eastern border.  Suck in the Willamette Valley.    D:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    Texansurf said:
    Check out flint hills and Valero in Corpus Christi for refinery jobs, rarely does it cold and when it does it is just like the tourist, they leave after a few days....
    Sweet, thanks.  A quick search brought up a few options.  I would never be able to talk my wife into moving to the US tho.  It is nice to see some opportunities in that sector though since it is getting hit so hard.  I wonder what the pay is like compared to the refineries in Canada.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• SaskNortherner
    Options
    94 F wow. We were at 32 C a week ago which in the old farenheit scale is about 89. You could not even work in the garage without breaking a sweat. Today was much nicer about 18 C which in the old scale is about 64 F. I keep my house at 19 C so that is the perfect temp for me!
    LBGE,Mini Max,Stoker Meadow Lake Sask.
  • blasting
    Options
    94 F wow. We were at 32 C a week ago which in the old farenheit scale is about 89. You could not even work in the garage without breaking a sweat. Today was much nicer about 18 C which in the old scale is about 64 F. I keep my house at 19 C so that is the perfect temp for me!

I'd kill for a Regina summer right now! (where I grew up).

The pool is too hot to enjoy - it's like warm bathwater.  Even a "cold shower" using all cold water is still warm and not refreshing.  The only chance to feel cool right now is the cooler at Restaurant Depot or Costco.  Enjoy your weather to the fullest, and we can talk again in about 4 months when tables have turned.

Phoenix 
  • VANcouverEGG
    Options
    In Canada, the myth is true. We all live in igloos. Air conditioning is suspect. No reason for anyone to move here.