Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kamado Joe Craig Tweets Again!

Options

Comments

• clifkincaid
    Options
    Oh you're a Packer fan? Now I can't stand you and now all your food sucks. Last week was ok but not meow! 
  • SantaAlex
    Options
    Speaking of Komodo Joe, we have a garden shop in the town I work in that was a KJ dealer for two or three years.  The owner told me that every KJ grill he sold came back cracked within the warrenty period, mostly in the winter.  He became a BGE dealer five years ago, sells lots of eggs, and never had one come back.  I don't know if KJ has improved their ceramics, but their reputation here in connecticut is not good.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    SantaAlex said:
    Speaking of Komodo Joe, we have a garden shop in the town I work in that was a KJ dealer for two or three years.  The owner told me that every KJ grill he sold came back cracked within the warrenty period, mostly in the winter.  He became a BGE dealer five years ago, sells lots of eggs, and never had one come back.  I don't know if KJ has improved their ceramics, but their reputation here in connecticut is not good.
    Reminds me about my dealer in a way. For a couple years he was a dual BGE and Primo dealer. He only sold one Primo the whole time even though it was cheaper, but the side by side display allowed potential buyers to see and compare the two products. In spite of increased sales BGE had a come to Jesus meeting with him to dump Primo or else! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Not even BGC can make Machine Gun Bacon! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• BigGreenPackerFan
    Options
    SantaAlex said:

There is certainly some truth to your statement. The ceramics on the KJ are not equal in quality to the Egg. As a matter of fact the KJ is made of a very porous grade ceramic that can create problems in colder climates. The KJ does not sell very well in Canada because they simply do not hold up. If a person does a low n slow cook in the winter on a KJ the ceramic will retain most of the moisture in the ceramic. After the KJ cools down the moisture in the ceramic will freeze if the temps fall below freezing and this can cause problems. I have heard of several cases where a person has been cooking on a KJ in the winter at a higher temperature (500+) and it literally splits in 2. This is likely caused by the frozen moisture in the KJ expanding too quickly with the higher heat. Not worth the risk in my opinion. 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    SantaAlex said:

There is certainly some truth to your statement. The ceramics on the KJ are not equal in quality to the Egg. As a matter of fact the KJ is made of a very porous grade ceramic that can create problems in colder climates. The KJ does not sell very well in Canada because they simply do not hold up. If a person does a low n slow cook in the winter on a KJ the ceramic will retain most of the moisture in the ceramic. After the KJ cools down the moisture in the ceramic will freeze if the temps fall below freezing and this can cause problems. I have heard of several cases where a person has been cooking on a KJ in the winter at a higher temperature (500+) and it literally splits in 2. This is likely caused by the frozen moisture in the KJ expanding too quickly with the higher heat. Not worth the risk in my opinion. 
    This is the first piece of data I've ever heard comparing quality differences between the two.  Thank you.

Every other posts just talks about you get a better warranty with the BGE which offsets the lower price and increased options with a KJ...   (I don't know if that is true, just the impression from what I've read)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SunDeviledEgg
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    SantaAlex said:

This is the first piece of data I've ever heard comparing quality differences between the two.  Thank you.

Every other posts just talks about you get a better warranty with the BGE which offsets the lower price and increased options with a KJ...   (I don't know if that is true, just the impression from what I've read)
    This is totally wrong information, and KJ actually outsells BGE in Canada by a fairly wide margin.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    The ceramics on the KJ are not equal in quality to the Egg. As a matter of fact the KJ is made of a very porous grade ceramic that can create problems in colder climates. 
    First let me say that I'm not trying to compare the two as far as quality. I own both and like them both. With that said, I think quality can be luck of the draw with either manufacturer. Take a look at the link below. This is my large big green egg. I discovered this during my first gasket replacement.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1168071/does-anyone-elses-egg-have-holes-in-it-like-this#latest

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited August 2015
    Options

SantaAlex said:
    Speaking of Komodo Joe, we have a garden shop in the town I work in that was a KJ dealer for two or three years.  The owner told me that every KJ grill he sold came back cracked within the warrenty period, mostly in the winter.  ...
    This coming winter will be my first one with the KJ Jr.  We'll see how it goes but one thing that I would add regarding the reference to the 'warranty period' above, this taken from the KJ website, is 'Kamado Joe comes with a Lifetime Warranty on ceramic parts and free shipping on all warranty parts.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Did you guys know lump burns hotter in a BGE? A dealer told me that so it's true. A KJ won't get hot enough to sear a steak. On a serious note the quality of the ceramics on the BGE have gone way down. I was given a ceramic BGE that was almost 20 years old when I got it and the ceramic was much better quality. Solid and smooth and not porous. Even the ceramics in a 10 year old egg you can tell the difference from the new eggs just by touching it. If you don't think the egg is porous let it sit outside for a month then fire it up. It will leak moisture from the pours for 30 minutes. Check out some of fishlessmans posts with funk coming out of the ceramics. I have 3 egg bases crack in the last couple years I am pretty sure it's theheat you need to worry about not the cold.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    @Big_Green_Craig - I thought you were going to do some kind of side by side comparison between the BGE and the KJ.  Did you ever get around to that?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • BigGreenPackerFan
    Options
    Lit said:
    Did you guys know lump burns hotter in a BGE? A dealer told me that so it's true. A KJ won't get hot enough to sear a steak. On a serious note the quality of the ceramics on the BGE have gone way down. I was given a ceramic BGE that was almost 20 years old when I got it and the ceramic was much better quality. Solid and smooth and not porous. Even the ceramics in a 10 year old egg you can tell the difference from the new eggs just by touching it. If you don't think the egg is porous let it sit outside for a month then fire it up. It will leak moisture from the pours for 30 minutes. Check out some of fishlessmans posts with funk coming out of the ceramics. I have 3 egg bases crack in the last couple years I am pretty sure it's theheat you need to worry about not the cold.

I didn't get my information from a dealer but from my own research, testing, and first hand accounts from people who own or have owned the KJ. I disagree with your statement on the quality of the ceramics on the BGE going down. Are they different now than they were 20 years ago? Of course they are. They have actually improved the ceramic over time. The ceramics have changed, the color has changed, the texture on the outside of the Egg has changed and all to improve the performance of the product. The Egg has been made in the same plant in Monterey Mexico for 25 years so it is not like they have been outsourcing in the last 20 years to find a cheaper way to make it or better yet have it made in China like other knock offs. As far as the porous part, of course the Egg is porous. All ceramics are porous. My statement is that the KJ is much more porous than the Egg. They will all take on rain through the pours on the outside. The KJ holds more of the moisture inside which can create more issues in the winter months in harsh climates. I agree that heat is more of an issue than cold but when you have a piece of ceramic that has absorbed a ton of water and froze you are certainly going to have issues when you then hit it with a 1400 degree fire (fire box of course). I also look forward to seeing results from @Big_Green_Craig 's testing especially if he still does testing this winter. You can prove the difference in the 2 pretty fast with a hot fire and pitcher of cold water applied to various locations.
  • SunDeviledEgg
    Options
    Lit said:

I didn't get my information from a dealer but from my own research, testing, and first hand accounts from people who own or have owned the KJ. I disagree with your statement on the quality of the ceramics on the BGE going down. Are they different now than they were 20 years ago? Of course they are. They have actually improved the ceramic over time. The ceramics have changed, the color has changed, the texture on the outside of the Egg has changed and all to improve the performance of the product. The Egg has been made in the same plant in Monterey Mexico for 25 years so it is not like they have been outsourcing in the last 20 years to find a cheaper way to make it or better yet have it made in China like other knock offs. As far as the porous part, of course the Egg is porous. All ceramics are porous. My statement is that the KJ is much more porous than the Egg. They will all take on rain through the pours on the outside. The KJ holds more of the moisture inside which can create more issues in the winter months in harsh climates. I agree that heat is more of an issue than cold but when you have a piece of ceramic that has absorbed a ton of water and froze you are certainly going to have issues when you then hit it with a 1400 degree fire (fire box of course). I also look forward to seeing results from @Big_Green_Craig 's testing especially if he still does testing this winter. You can prove the difference in the 2 pretty fast with a hot fire and pitcher of cold water applied to various locations.
    what in the world are you talking about?  and what testing have you done?
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    @Big_Green_Craig - I thought you were going to do some kind of side by side comparison between the BGE and the KJ.  Did you ever get around to that?
    Yes, I am. It's hard to tell any difference after one cook. I plan to cook on the KJ and the FLO long enough to make a valid comparison. This may run into the cooler weather just to test efficiency and performance. 
  • Lit
    Options
    Lit said:

I remember now you were the guy that inspired my side by side test of the MM and KJ JR when you said the KJ ceramics didn't hold heat as well and the outside temp would be hotter than the BGE which proved it was inferior. I calibrated both thermometers and set them both at 250 and after a couple hours the outside of the KJ was Arielle a couple degrees cooler. Myth busted. I didn't pour a bucket of ice cold water in either of them I have never to this day had the need to be able to do that so it doesn't really prove much.
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Lit said:

Smh...no problems here with either of my joes
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Joes.  Eggs.  They're all kamados.  Just make tasty food & be happy.
    +1
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Cats
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Lit
    Options
    It's the weekend blotches we just chillin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited August 2015
    Options
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I can't post a gif for sh¡t
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options