Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many of you you are serial copycat cooks?

I know the purpose of this forum is to share cooks and knowledge with each other. I just find that lately I see someone's post such as @henapple http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1185457/blt#latest and I think, "Dang, that looks great! I think I'll make that tomorrow!" Are you that way also? It's not bad; I've learned a ton in the weeks I've been hanging out here.

Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    I should be in jail at this point
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited August 2015
    I have copied many a cook!  I work from home most of the time and there have been a couple of times where I have run out to the store during lunch so I could copy cat someone that same day.  

The bread and BLT looks awesome.  @henappleshould be proud.  The highest form of flattery is imitation. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
     I am guilty! 
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • I used to try and copy @SGH but, gawd, that man eats a lot! I had to take a weekend job just to keep up.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Guilty as charged!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Depends on the cook. If it's a great/new idea that interests me, I'll bookmark it for later.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I get ideas from everywhere. The bread came from a book @Girl_on_Grill suggested at Salado. Great pizza dough also. I can only think of a few things I did on "my own". Smoked chicken salad...hardly new but I put my twist on it and hadn't previously heard of it and mpd's. The family never asked where the recipe came from.  =)
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GuitarEC
    GuitarEC Posts: 122
    I'm of the opinion that a recipe is a good starting point.  Sometimes you can learn things from other people's cooks that you wouldn't have thought of yourself.  Sometimes you learn things not to do - that's the beauty of passing knowledge along.  Lord knows there are a few dishes here I've seen and thought to myself: "You know, I bet that would be good if I did THIS to it..."

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Metro Atl., Ga.
  • Satch_Q
    Satch_Q Posts: 105
    Ummmm..... yeah! How could anyone pass on some of this stuff.
  • I have drawn this from seeing others' posts many times...

Flint, Michigan
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    GUILTY!!
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    I have replicated many a cook.  This forum is like a living, breathing, and responding cook book.  I love it.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    GuitarEC said:
    I'm of the opinion that a recipe is a good starting point.  Sometimes you can learn things from other people's cooks that you wouldn't have thought of yourself.  Sometimes you learn things not to do - that's the beauty of passing knowledge along.  Lord knows there are a few dishes here I've seen and thought to myself: "You know, I bet that would be good if I did THIS to it..."

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Metro Atl., Ga.

As one of my favorite celebrity chef's always says (and includes as a prefix to all of his recipes); "A recipe is merely words on paper; a guideline, a starting point from which to improvise."

-Michael Smith
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    henapple said:
    I get ideas from everywhere. The bread came from a book @Girl_on_Grill suggested at Salado. Great pizza dough also. I can only think of a few things I did on "my own". Smoked chicken salad...hardly new but I put my twist on it and hadn't previously heard of it and mpd's. The family never asked where the recipe came from.  =)

@henapple MPD's may be the best damn thing you have come up with. For those that have not had the opportunity to partake of the MPD's, you are willfully lacking in tasting his best. Absolutely the best my friend.

And yes, I hate you.....

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • BRush00 said:

As one of my favorite celebrity chef's always says (and includes as a prefix to all of his recipes); "A recipe is merely words on paper; a guideline, a starting point from which to improvise."

-Michael Smith
    Yeah, he's a good one!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    The egg is the cheapest part of the deal....where do I pay my fine?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    jabam said:
    Guilty as charged!

Where in the Central Valley are you , I'm in Visalia
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    GuitarEC said:
    I'm of the opinion that a recipe is a good starting point.

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Metro Atl., Ga.
    It drives my wife nuts that I change things in a recipe - unless I'm baking. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Hotch said:

@henapple MPD's may be the best damn thing you have come up with. For those that have not had the opportunity to partake of the MPD's, you are willfully lacking in tasting his best. Absolutely the best my friend.

And yes, I hate you.....

You made me look... I have never heard of MPDs. Now I know.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    all the time
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Inspired to copycat cooks here daily!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • henapple
    Hotch said:
    henapple said:

And yes, I hate you.....

I would be afraid to even attempt to duplicate one of your cooks. Guys.. Hotch and Shelley have never followed a recipe. Ya'll come up with some great combos. 
  • henapple
    Probably the biggest steal is making @EggObsessed chili. Brisket chili. I've changed it a little with hatch chilies when available. I've cooked several batches on request for fishing trips or men's meetings. Waiting for cooler weather. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    That chili rocks!

i don't consider it copy cat as much as inspired by. I usually put my own spin on things, but I won't lie, there are 60+ threads bookmarked. Some I've done, some are there just waiting. 
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    I've copied the basics of many cooks I've seen here, but I always give it my own personal touch to make it an original.  Sometimes it's as simple as changing ingredients to suit my own palette, or a variation in methods for food prep or the cook. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • I'm not a great cook...I copy quite a bit. But I'm learning the basics and starting to tweak things my way. It's cooking not sitting across from your smart buddy in 6th grade 
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Hotch said:
    henapple said:

And yes, I hate you.....

Love MPD's, I have had Great Success with these.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Guilty here.  That's 90% of why I am here on this forum, to steal!  

Thank you all!  Now, I still haven't seen a link or definition of Henapple's "MPD's"; help a brother out.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Tan 'que!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.