Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Breaking in the Kettle Q

Options
I received an email that my package had been delivered so I was anxious to give it a whirl. 

A quick seasoning before I get started.  And while that's going I did my prep work. 

Sauteed diced Vidalia Onions & sliced jalapenos. 

Smash Burgers on with a dusting of Holy Cow rub. 

Farm Fresh Eggs from my buddy's farm. Cooked over medium. The onion trick was from our Son @HuddleHouseCook  :hug: 

Hawaiian Sweet Buns toasted with a little butter.  

Getting close. Burgers back on real quick. Placed sauteed onions and jalapenos atop & then melted some provolone and pepper jack over it all. 

Egg on top with mayo and jalapeno mustard. Plated. Thanks @cazzy The Juice was worth the squeeze! :smiley: 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Yeah, I'd keep,that kettle q. Wow!
  • Trixie_Belle
    Options
    I'm totes jelly  :|
    BGE novice...A Southern Belle living in Seattle.  
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    That's a burger I could eat over and over! Where did you order Kettle Q from?
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Looks great! Long before that company created that model I bought the square one which sits down inside my large. It works well. I'd post some pictures but I'm in bed and those files are downstairs. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • OmahaOne
    OmahaOne Posts: 154
    Options
    Nom, nom, nom...
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Biggreenpharmacist Posts: 4,341
    edited August 2015
    Options
    RRP said:
    Looks great! Long before that company created that model I bought the square one which sits down inside my large. It works well. I'd post some pictures but I'm in bed and those files are downstairs. 
    I REAL egghead would get up and go downstairs and post them.  :)

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looking good brother Huskers. Solid my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Looks Awesome Blake.   Another fine cook and another thing I want for the egg.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Wow Blake! A freaking home run if I ever saw one and the onion and egg thing is awesome. Nicely done.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Looks pretty handy. I've done burgers on my Weber-sized steel "flattop" and they turned out well. It has no drip tray, but then, neither does the grid. One of these days, I'll make another trip to the steel yard to get one that'll fit my egg.

Like the onion ring idea!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Thanks Everybody!
    @jabam There are several places to order from. However, I bought it from Amazon. Prime members save on this one with shipping. Lowest I found was $67-$68 + shipping. Prime was under $86 shipping inclusive along with a quality 16" spatula with beveled edge and angle griddle scraper.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I told our Son I did the onion trick and he was all like.... Are you serious?! :angry:  So, I fully expect him to come back tomorrow with a vengeance. This goes to show old dogs can learn new tricks!  Come on young pup better keep up @HuddleHouseCook :lol: 
    Totally kidding...sorta. Love you B!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Looks great. Haven't opened mine yet. Been buried in home repair. What temperature did you have the egg at?
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Looks great. Haven't opened mine yet. Been buried in home repair. What temperature did you have the egg at?
    Dome was at 350℉ but surface well over 500℉. Went direct. I'm gonna play around with the set-up some. Next run we'll go indirect and see if there is a considerable difference in temp control. The dome stayed open most of the cook except when I first started with several thin coats of oil for a quick seasoning. I wiped it down after each coat with a white bar rag. I can definitely envision many more uses for this eggcessory. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Great trick with the onion.  Looks good brutha!
    Options
    Looking good.  That griddle went from shiny new to well used in one cook.
    Phoenix 
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Looks like it got a little too hot. Is there anyway to keep from getting so hot with to top open?

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @texaswig see my earlier reply to HofstraJet. 
    Short answer...Indirect vs Direct
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    That looks great. Can't wait to see what you come up with next. Love the onion ring trick.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    I want one of these!  And have yet to try an egg on a burger or see it served that way.  I lead a sheltered life I guess.  It looks like something I might have to try.
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    geez... I'm jealous. I have one sitting in box at home but been on shift for 19 of last 21 days... I will eventually use it..  Nice cook

Beaufort, SC
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That looks awesome!  I love the onion trick @HuddleHouseCook.  Thanks for that.  I have been going commando with the eggs on the griddle and sometimes it works fine but sometimes I get a runner. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Dang!  That is top notch vittles!  The onion trick rocks!  Where's my Baking Steel?
    Flint, Michigan
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Large Egg?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @THEBuckeye Yes this is on my LBGE. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • RRP
    edited August 2015
    Options
    texaswig said:
    Looks like it got a little too hot. Is there anyway to keep from getting so hot with to top open?
    I just get mine up to the temperature and then close my bottom vent entirely. I have found that same method works when I am using my wok. The point is both the Griddle-Q and wok cooks are short in duration so with only the air from on high feeding the fire that keeps the egg from becoming a blast furnace. At least this works for me.
  • CDPlaya
    CDPlaya Posts: 81
    Options
    I had to get me one, my mouth would not stop watering.....lol

Tell us more about you BGE Table!
    "One Job at a Time, One Day at a Time" 
    " Stop and smell the Roses " Life is too Short
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I prefer more mustard and mayo!  :o
    New Albany, Ohio 

• RRP
    Options
    I prefer more mustard and mayo!  :o
    not mayo...DUKES!!! ;)
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    NPHuskerFL Wow those look great Blake. So can I borrow you son  @HuddleHouseCook for a few days? I could use a little schooling on his skills with the griddle?
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX