Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Bacon & Eggs

My Egg was still hot after a cook so I decided to throw on some eggs. I took them out of the container, rinsed them with cold water and threw them right on the Egg. 

They smoked for approx 30 minutes. (I sliced a sacrificial egg at the 25 minute mark and they needed a little more time) The yolks should be a bright yellow. 

After the ice bath, they were cracked, peeled and sliced in half. The yolks were carefully removed and combined in a mixture containing mayo, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, hot sauce, paprika, cayenne, chives, finely chopped crispy bacon with salt, pepper and @MeatChurch's new Bacon BBQ rub. 

The eggs were filled with the mixture and garnished with a drop of hot sauce, a piece of crispy bacon and dusted with more of the BBQ rub. 

You could definitely pick up on the hickory smoke flavor. Friends and family loved this appetizer! 

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Cool. Like the presentation!
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    I'd hit a about half a dozen of those!
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Very nice Craig.  As usual the presentation is over the top.  I love deviled eggs but I am usually too impatient to make them and end up making egg salad. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Very interesting. Looks amazing. I love deviled eggs. 

I wonder if could just make regular deviled eggs and then smoke them a little

XLBGE 
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578

I would think that they would turn out overcooked? 
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    cold smoke them after hard boiling, take the shell off. Cold smoke for 90 minutes = change your life.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729

Yeah, just use an amazing smoker or something like that for a cold smoke effect.  I have done this before and it came out well.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050
    Looks awesome!  You must've been inspired by @Nuke1855 .  He made these right before you made yours the other day.  Posted these up on IG like a day or so before you did.  Very similar... Even down to the Sriracha.   ;)  Nice job!   

• Big_Green_Craig
    Dyal_SC said:
    Looks awesome!  You must've been inspired by @Nuke1855 .  He made these right before you made yours the other day.  Posted these up on IG like a day or so before you did.  Very similar... Even down to the Sriracha.   ;)  Nice job!   

Mine were actually done 2 weeks ago. Just waiting in the @MeatChurch
    rub release. Thanks though. 
  • I can't make deviled eggs, cause I eat deviled eggs way faster than I can possibly construct them lol. These look awesome, I will definitely try to make these.
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Dyal_SC said:

For the record...

I got this one too...

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Those look great. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Dyal_SC said:

For the record...

LOL

Good move, Craig.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Those eggs  look great! Mmm..
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    very nice - presentation is A+
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050
    Either way, looks great like I said.  :). Both of y'all's posts make me wanna do smoked deviled eggs.  Think I'm gonna use avacado in mine like @Nuke1855.   
  • Big_Green_Craig
    If you smoke after boiling and roll the eggs to crack the shells before the smoke, you get visually interesting patterns like this:

I've seen multiple people do this over the past few years, especially around holidays when deviled eggs are typically served.

Very cool! I'll try that next time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    Looks great!  That rub sounds crazy good.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I agree about the rub about to go get some. Hate to say it but the eggs look good Craig.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Nice. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited July 2015
    So to @Big_Green_Craig and @hapster

In your honest opinion, is the bacon rub gimmicky or is it something you look forward to using again?  I've heard mixed results about some of MC's rubs, but I've heard several people say Deez Nuts is awesome.  Is it up there with that?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Big_Green_Craig
    edited July 2015
    cazzy said:

In your honest opinion, is the bacon rub gimmicky or is it something you look forward to using again?  I've heard mixed results about some of MC's rubs, but I've heard several people say Deez Nuts is awesome.  Is it up there with that?
    Like any seasoning, using it on the proper food yields the best results. Holy Cow is obviously a beef rub. Honey Hog is a pork rub. etc. Deez nuts is best on chicken imo. 

Sampling the Bacon rub right out of the shaker tastes like I just finished eating a piece of bacon. I cooked with it on a burger and it tasted like there was bacon on the burger. 

There are some other fairly new rub lines based locally: @PorkU and Lane's BBQ.  Lou from Pork U is a very talented rub blender and Egger. Ryan Lane from Lane's BBQ operates a local catering company. Both lines have very unique flavor profiles and are definitely worth the try. 
  • Big_Green_Craig
    @NPHuskerFL has tried the Bacon. What were your thoughts, Blake?
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Very cool idea. I love me some deviled eggs. Nice work.
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    cazzy said:

Like any seasoning, using it on the proper food yields the best results. Holy Cow is obviously a beef rub. Honey Hog is a pork rub. etc. Deez nuts is best on chicken imo. 

Sampling the Bacon rub right out of the shaker tastes like I just finished eating a piece of bacon. I cooked with it on a burger and it tasted like there was bacon on the burger. 

There are some other fairly new rub lines based locally: @PorkU and Lane's BBQ.  Lou from Pork U is a very talented rub blender and Egger. Ryan Lane from Lane's BBQ operates a local catering company. Both lines have very unique flavor profiles and are definitely worth the try. 
    Cool...thanks for the reply.  I think MC is winning already with a Bacon Rub, but its cool to hear it doesn't let down on giving meat bacon flavor.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    The only thing I'm upset about is that I got all of his rubs recently and this one wasn't out yet.  I don't think I'll be able to convince the mrs I need anymore rubs for a while.  @cazzy Deez nuts is an awesome rub on ribs.  I don't think I'll use anything but that on ribs for a long time. Sometimes I mix a little Swamp Venom or Honey Hot on them as well.  I would recommend picking up some meat church. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • A5firearms
    A5firearms Posts: 163
    So you are telling me that I can "hard boil" eggs on the big green egg?!?!?! Holly crap!
    Lake Keowee, SC
    XLarge, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Custom Table, KAB, Woo2, Guru DigiQ DX2,
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Awesome. Great post @Big_Green_Craig. Beautiful pics as always. What was the temp. before shutdown an did you shut the vents all the way down?

Thanks to your posts I have just ordered 4 bottles of Meatchurch spices. I am sure they will be great! Again, thanks for all the great posts.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter