Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal has gone up!

Options
Hungry Joe
Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
edited July 2015 in EggHead Forum

Seems Ozark Oak going out has created a shortage, the price of charcoal is going up. Last time I bought Fogo it was $28 and hasn't come back down since.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009P166SU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Good thing I got this for $16 a 22lbs bag.

Comments

• Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    I don't know how fresh it is but our local BGE dealer had a fresh shipment of Ozark Oak. She said she just got it in but it was $20 for a 10 pound bag. Ill bet she will have it for a long time at that price. 
    McKinney, TX
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited July 2015
    Options
    What is it? My local Lowes has Frontier lump for $14 per bag.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    What is it? 

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    We've got a place down the street that makes it. Been wanting to buy a pallet but just haven't. 

XLBGE 
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Fresh? Lump goes bad?
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Fresh? Lump goes bad?
    @HofstraJet no, he was referring to ozark oak. They went out of business this year and since its for sale, it could be deduced that it's old stock.... Maybe

XLBGE 
  • hoofaloos
    hoofaloos Posts: 242
    Options
    Local Mexican market here sells lump for $22 for a 50lb bag.  Beats the hell out of the BGE dealer down the road.  Not really sure the brand b/c I think it rotates but it's mesquite lump and does just as well as anything i've ever used
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    That's easy to fix get a cabinet smoker. A $13.99 bag of white oak I can do 4 long cooks. For $14 I can cook 100 racks of ribs. Have peach, Apple, pecan, white oak, and hickory to choose from.
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    yeah....all my lump just goes up in smoke

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I haven't checked FireCraft lately, but I usually pay about a $1.00/lb. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @Lit  So in a cabinet smoker you use hardwood - not lump?  That's interesting.  How do you keep what your smoking from being over smoked, or tasting too smokey?
    Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited July 2015
    Options
    blasting said:
    @Lit  So in a cabinet smoker you use hardwood - not lump?  That's interesting.  How do you keep what your smoking from being over smoked, or tasting too smokey?
    Typically you would want to pre-burn any wood if that's all you're burning in your reverse vertical.  More common is burning lump with a lot of wood.
    Options
    60 bags of Jakes blend. 35 for me and the rest to a couple other friends. 
  • Lit
    Options
    blasting said:
    Typically you would want to pre-burn any wood if that's all you're burning in your reverse vertical.  More common is burning lump with a lot of wood.
    I warm the cabinet up with a chimney of lump then after 10-15 minutes add a split of wood. As long as the wood is on fire you have clean smoke. I learned quickly that bad smoke taste you get isn't oversmoking it's bad smoke. Bad smoke is when the wood is smoldering like it does in the egg that's why you can't use a lot of wood in the egg. The backwoods doesn't have enough airflow even with both bottom vents wide open to burn off a fresh piece of wood so I leave the bottom door open for 5 minutes or so every time I add a fresh piece of wood just to get it going good then I can close it and just use the vents. The key is keeping a hot fire going that is small enough to not overshoot temps. What NOLA said above about using lump and a lot of wood probably would work in the non insulated cabinets but mine has 2" insulated walls so I would be at 400 plus degrees if I did that. Even with just one split of wood going it will run 325 if I don't shut it down at all. Have to give props to @cazzy I ruined 3 racks of ribs my first shot then he explained to me that I was getting bad smoke not oversmoking. You can use lump in the cabinet smokers as well and I tried that and it wasn't anything different than the egg and my whole point in getting it was to learn something new. I have been getting much better results running straight wood than I have ever gotten before.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @Lit - there is the answer - hot fire going that is small enough to not overshoot temps. Takes skill and experience. SWMBO could do that with the Elmira kitchen wood stove we had years ago. She could nail 350º just by looking at the fire. 

Hungrt Joe - I think that the demand for lump will increase driving the price up. More and more folks are returning to charcoal. Weber users might be happy, read recently that briquettes are actually cheaper, maybe due to the stepped up production of lump and the use of dust and chips to make them? 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @lit great explanation,  thanks for taking the time. Interesting stuff for sure. 
    Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Lit said:
    blasting said:
    I warm the cabinet up with a chimney of lump then after 10-15 minutes add a split of wood. As long as the wood is on fire you have clean smoke. I learned quickly that bad smoke taste you get isn't oversmoking it's bad smoke. Bad smoke is when the wood is smoldering like it does in the egg that's why you can't use a lot of wood in the egg. The backwoods doesn't have enough airflow even with both bottom vents wide open to burn off a fresh piece of wood so I leave the bottom door open for 5 minutes or so every time I add a fresh piece of wood just to get it going good then I can close it and just use the vents. The key is keeping a hot fire going that is small enough to not overshoot temps. What NOLA said above about using lump and a lot of wood probably would work in the non insulated cabinets but mine has 2" insulated walls so I would be at 400 plus degrees if I did that. Even with just one split of wood going it will run 325 if I don't shut it down at all. Have to give props to @cazzy I ruined 3 racks of ribs my first shot then he explained to me that I was getting bad smoke not oversmoking. You can use lump in the cabinet smokers as well and I tried that and it wasn't anything different than the egg and my whole point in getting it was to learn something new. I have been getting much better results running straight wood than I have ever gotten before.
    Yes, hot fire gives good smoke.  Tough to keep a hot, small fire over a long time period without tending to it in a fire box.  The Traeger does exactly that.  Burns 100% wood, small hot fire.
    Options
    @TOM67 what is it in my post you don't agree with?
  • Lit
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @nolaegghead isn't the traeger a pellet pooper? The vertical I have has a full seperate firebox. The water pan is welded in and the heat goes up through the walls. It has been really easy to maintain temps it takes about 1 small split per hour to keep it between 250-275.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @Lit - I love those reverse flow verticals.  I'm just sayin' you need to baby sit it if you burn 100% wood, but you can load up with lump and wood and set it and forget it.

Yep, the pellet pooper.  Burns ground up sawdust pellets.  Pure wood.