Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: VW Tiguan. What say you.

Options
hondabbq
hondabbq Posts: 1,980
We are looking at trading my wife's Jeep Patriot for a 2015 Tiguan. 
The numbers all look good. Reviews all look good. 
Now, just looking for some real life experiences from owners or those who have first hand direct knowledge.
Thanks to all those who reply. 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My friends have one and it has a tendency to hit curbs.  In all fairness, I would attribute that to his wife's driving. ;)   They love it.  However, they regret the low profile tires.   The 2.0L turbocharged 4 bangers are great engines.
    They're nice all around but what I have found with our vw is that unless your going to have it serviced all the time at the dealership they will slide off any future claims to not having proper service to vw spec. That's not all bad but it gets old when your getting rung for $80 oil changes and all parts are out of this world in price

• RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    We have had several VWs and we loved them. I agree with the service comment, be sure to find a good dealer and they will take care of you. I have a coworker who can't stop talking about theirs they love it.
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    They're nice all around but what I have found with our vw is that unless your going to have it serviced all the time at the dealership they will slide off any future claims to not having proper service to vw spec. That's not all bad but it gets old when your getting rung for $80 oil changes and all parts are out of this world in price

The LOF are pricier but our current vehicles run $65 for full synthetic so the difference us negligible. How many Kms between changes do you do?
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    I've driven one of them before - they're pretty nice I'd say.  Drive very well, comfortable cars.  They do suck the gas a bit, but nobody gives a sh!t.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I had a vw and they are a nightmare to wrench on. If you do dealer service, its very very expensive. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    From a Jeep to a VW? Out of the frying pan...

Over the years, I owned three VWs. A Rabbit and a couple of Jettas. Plus, my son once owned a Jetta. We are slow learners. Fun to drive, when they don't need fixing. Will never buy another. 

In fairness, it's been a while. My last was a '92 Jetta. Maybe they are better now?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Just find a euro car shop when out of warranty. I'm lucky to have one within 5 minutes of home. My parent's VW came with included maintanence up to 50k miles.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    I have gotten away from Euro cars. I thought about a VW and was told to go to several large lots and test drive a few VW's and then report back how many of them had a check engine light on. It turned out to be more than I expected. I thought my old Volvo was an issue but was amazed at how many VW's were showing problems. Might have been from sitting but it certainly did not bode well. Another retired pal has been driving them for a while and he calls me to pick him up for breakfast when he has car serviced or repairs done. We seem to get together quite a bit anymore. He also is not too happy since the "good" dealer in town has been bought up by the local "big volume" dealer whose service departments tend to be a little sketchy. When this group buys another dealership almost all of the service personell leave or get fired.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • snoqualmiesmoker
    snoqualmiesmoker Posts: 265
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Their CPO World car program is great if you want to buy a used one. Extended bumper to bumper. I have a 2011 GTI and have only had 1 issue. Warranty covered it. I would recommend VW to anyone. They are not the VW of old. Had a 78/79 Scirocco, 98 Jetta, A 2005 GTI, a 2011 GTI, and two Audie's (2005/2007). Not any issues with one of them. 
    They also have great leases. 
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    My wife has had a couple of Jettas, a Passat, and an Audi Q5. She is a fan. 
    GWN
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I had a Jetta, Audi GT and A8.  They were fun but they broke down frequently.  These were 80s and 90s cars.  The new VWs are much more reliable.  Consumer reports reliability numbers bear this out.
    Options
    I drive a golf.  Been very reliable. Yes oil changes are expensive at $80 a pop but it's 10000 mile service.  My wife Hyundai is $50 and only 5000 miles so it actually nets less.  We drove a Tiguan but loves her hyundais as long as I don't have to drive it I don't care what she has.  
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    VW makes a great product. Well built quality vehicles. Two things: repairs are expensive once you get outside the warranty, parts are through the roof on cost. If you plan on keeping a VW for a long time find a reputable repair facility which is not a dealer. There is a couple in every town that has a dealership. VW also has a model on the "Most Stolen List" of cars which is determined by car population vs frequency stolen. That can add a couple of coins to insurance cost.
    Great ride, solid, safe, sharp, ergonomics are very good, and quiet. Not sure if the green deiisel option is available in the states, but in Europe, it has a tremendously high customer satisfaction. Hope that helps.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I just got a Passat TDI and I'm really happy with it.  $1500 for an extended warranty - 8 years total and lifetime powertrain.
    NOLA
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I would be checking out the Toyota venza. Hard to beat a Toyota. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    VW's are awesome cars & drive like tanks.  I've had good experiences with both I've owned.  That said, currently on my 3rd Sub & it edges out the VWs in most respects lacking only in that German car feel which is so distinctive & great but in all other ways a superior car for my purposes.  Roughly comparable to what you're looking at is the Crosstrek which comes in significantly less expensive & does better on gas (even considering AWD I'm averaging about 32mpg).  Just a thought.

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    we sold our tdi wagon after 2 years for suv with more room.. was between the crv and the tiguan and we bought the crv... average 30mpg and love it! good price and great interest rate... good resale value. hated the VW thing where i needed special windshield wipers, special oil filter, blah blah blah... 
    Beaufort, SC