Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seared Tuna - Suggestions?

Options
HofstraJet
HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
Anything other than the obvious quick sear on CI grid at nuclear? Plan on a simple teriyaki basting but if you think a rub would be better, here's what I have to work with. Thanks!

1. DP Pineapple Head
  2. DP Raging River
  3. DP Raising the Steaks
  4. DP Dizzy Dust
  5. DP Cow Lick
  6. Caribeque Island Thyme
  7. Caribeque Calypso Kick
  8. Caribeque Original Calypso
  9. Oakridge Santa Maria Steak Seasoning
  10. Oakridge Dominator Sweet Rib Rub
  11. Oakridge Competition Beef & Pork Rub
  12. Oakridge Secret Weapon Pork & Chicken Rub
  13. Oakridge Game Bird & Chicken Rub
Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
Twitter: @ Bags
Blog: TheJetsFan.com

Comments

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    Just remember to pull it quick.  You definitely don't want to overcook it. 25 seconds a side should cover it.  I think a teriyaki basting should get it done but a little pineapple head should be good on it as well. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Really. . I think it's waste of firing up an egg, I'd sear it in a CI on the rangetop.
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    sesame seed, salt, pepper... its super good meat so don't kill its taste with overpowering seasoning.. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Allow tuna to sit and warm for 30 mins covered with a damp -not wet - paper towel on a dish. Heatt pan. Little sesame oil in olive or veg oil cover fish just enough to get fresh cracked pepper to stick.  Use remainder of oil to lightly coat bottom of pan.  Sear 30-40 secs a side.

i then slice and put on salad or dip into soy/wasabi.  
    Enjoy.  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    An easy quick way without firing up the egg is to do it over the top of a charcoal starter  on your cast iron grid!
    Keep your seasoning simple... Tuna is easily overpowered as a prior poster said!!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    I got distracted and overcooked at 60 seconds, but it was still delicious with DP Pineapple Head. Thanks!

Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    I use oil, salt, pepper, white and black sesame seeds. You want a HOT grill, around 450-500. The fish will start changing from translucent to opaque and you can visually see when it's reached your desired doneness. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I got distracted and overcooked at 60 seconds, but it was still delicious with DP Pineapple Head. Thanks!

It looks pretty dog gone good from where I'm sitting. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I use oil, salt, pepper, white and black sesame seeds. You want a HOT grill, around 450-500. The fish will start changing from translucent to opaque and you can visually see when it's reached your desired doneness. 

I really like that serving platter. I had one real similar to it but dropped it and broke. My old hands don't work so well any longer so I haven't replaced it. Figure I would just drop and break it too. Great looking plate and grub. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    So, how'd it turn out? 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    Really. . I think it's waste of firing up an egg, I'd sear it in a CI on the rangetop.
    That's blasphemy!  Okay, I agree with you, but the egghead solution is to think of 3 other things to cook on the egg since you have it fired up anyway.  :plus_one:

I used to make tuna a lot.  It seems to be prohibitively expensive around me now and most often they are just thawing cut steaks that are usually also dyed to show the bright red color shoppers want to see.  However, when I see it fresh for a fair price, I always buy it and usually sear it.  

I just set up for a normal steak or burger cook, but cook it shorter.  Gets some of the lump flavor but is still raw in the middle!  Solid.

LBGE/Maryland
  • rc-wannaegger
    Options
    I'm thinking of heating a pink salt block to very high heat, seasoning the tuna with everything BUT salt and slapping it on the block for a short but intense sear on both sides....I'd welcome experienced input on this....