Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blueberry Galette on the BGE

First time making a blueberry galette on the BGE. Actually, first time making a blueberry galette. Which sounds fancy but really is just an "open-faced sandwich" version of pie.

Recipe is from cover of Bon Appetit July issue: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/blueberry-pecan-galette

Setup was platesetter legs up and a pizza stone, heat egg to 375. I rolled out the dough on a Silpat baking mat, slid it onto a cookie sheet, and cooked it on top of the pizza stone for about 45 minutes until it was all bubbly.

Turned out pretty good...except, I modified the dough recipe a bit and used 1/2 butter, 1/2 leaf lard. I rendered the lard myself about a week ago and this time it turned out slightly porky tasting, so I'm suspicious the farmer sold me regular lard instead of leaf lard. It was still pretty good...pork and blueberries isn't a horrible combo. Just not what I expected!

Comments

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Dang nice.  Put some Bryars vanilla on that and bam!     Nice cook
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nice.  SWMBO has been making those lately.
    Winner :plus_one: 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    That is why I love this forum. Something else I never dreamed of making on the egg, but will try now! 
    Awesome!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    You're 7 posts in and I've bookmarked you twice.  

Thanks, and keep it up please.

Phoenix 
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Definitely following !!  Great idea....and great to have you in the forum !!  

Agree with posts above....bookmarked 2 out of 7, and this is why I love this forum and its members !!!

Great looking cook !!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• ShesGotEggs
    ShesGotEggs Posts: 103
    I have been getting such great ideas from all of you for a while now, it's time to share!! I always tell myself "It's just a big oven that makes everything taste better" when I am wondering "Can I cook that on the egg?"
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I always tell myself "It's just a big oven that makes everything taste better" when I am wondering "Can I cook that on the egg?"
    That's the coolest thing I am discovering about cooking on my LBGE
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    How do you pronounce Galette ? That's not a word I use too often here in the hills.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    We use Tendergrass Farms leaf lard. It makes a super flaky crust, with no porky flavor. Great stuff. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • ShesGotEggs
    @blind99 thanks for the tip on Tender grass Farms. I need a new source. I've also heard Lard Lad on Etsy is a good supplier of leaf lard. 
  • ShesGotEggs
    @dldawes1 I have no idea how to pronounce it. That why I call it an open-faced pie!
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    edited July 2015
    Looks great! I bookmarked that recipe myself. I have yet to make it though.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset