Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

?? Pulled Pork "Dirty" Burgers ??

dldawes1
dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
Honest....I searched the history first....Has anyone ever tried mixing leftover Pulled Pork with Hamburger to make "Dirty Burgers" ?  

I've seen several threads on Brisket Burgers, so I searched the web for pulled pork burgers...got several interesting ideas.

Might have to try this tonight before church.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I haven't tried this but I wonder if it might be better to just make the burger and then top it with pulled pork.  I'm just thinking since the pork is already fully cooked it may dry out too much if cooking with the burger.  Then again...burgers have tons of fat so the pork may just soak up the burger fat.  It may be necessary to try both methods to see what works best! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• dldawes1
    I think I'll eggsperiment tonight !!

• dldawes1
    I thinks I eggsperimented....I thinks they turned out very good.

A new way to use leftover pulled pork.

1/2 PP, 1/2 Hamburger (78/22) and some Cluck & Squeal Beef Rub.  It works for me !!

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Whatever you have there looks pretty interesting. Quick question, you mixed in the raw hamburger meat with PP? How did you cook?
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    That is definitely an interesting concept.  I've had burgers with the PP on top, but never mixed in with the beef.  Great looking burgers though.  I love onions on my burgers too.  Something I do is melt the cheese on top of the onions to help hold them onto the burger.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SmokeyPitt
    Man those look great Donnie- nice job! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    A guy at the last Ga MNT eggfest did a pulled pork burger but if I remeber right it was stuffed with PP 

XLBGE 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    A guy at the last Ga MNT eggfest did a pulled pork burger but if I remeber right it was stuffed with PP 
    Yep. It was stuffed. Dude was giving out half burgers and they were HUGE!  And very tasty. 

Interesting trial work Donnie. Glad to see you back and active.  
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    That. Is. Awesome.  I'll have to do that the next time I have leftover pulled pork. 
    I suspect that sort of innovative cooking is worthy of a @SGH seal of approval.  It's not a corporate sponsorship or anything but it might be just the ego stroke you need to salvage your self esteem.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    That looks great man.  Next time I do pulled pork I will have to give it a try with the leftovers.  Pretty innovative and a great idea.  Maybe BGE will send you a minimax and sponsor you!  @foghorn a @SGH seal of approval is better than a corporate sponsorship, lol.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Now that's my kind of experiment.  Good work professor. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I love this idea.  I've been wanting to mix ground pork w/beef for burgers, but this is a twist I hadn't thought of and I think my family would love. The texture difference alone would be fantastic.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    dldawes1 said:
    .Has anyone ever tried mixing leftover Pulled Pork with Hamburger to make "Dirty Burgers" ?  

I have never tried this myself. But it sounds spectacular.  Those you posted above look insane. Going to give it a try myself for sure. The use of pork combined with beef easily earns and deserves:

Awesome job brother :clap: 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    I feel like the police commissioner who just shined the bat light into the sky.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Definitely out of the box...  They look great...  What kind of taste on the meat hamburger vs PP?
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • dldawes1
    Even better today for round #2 for lunch !!!!  Don't understand the difference, but the tastes seem to have blended together. I did not use any sauce last night...Sweet Baby Ray's was in the refrig today at lunch.  That might have made a difference.

Last night I was almost hesitant to believe my tastebuds...but now I am totally convinced that these are awesome !!!

Now if the pork/beef industry will give me some recognition and respect that I and my followers have earned......Dooohhhh !

JohnnyTarheel..it is a 'different blend of tastes'  I can't pinpoint the beef vs pork.  

Thanks folks !

• GATraveller

We may be on to something!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Thanks for the info, experimenting is the only way to find something new. Allow me to formally thank you and recognize you with this major award.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• GATraveller
    It must be Italian

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Legume said:
    I love this idea.  I've been wanting to mix ground pork w/beef for burgers, but this is a twist I hadn't thought of and I think my family would love. The texture difference alone would be fantastic.

@legume I recently made burgers from equal parts 80/20 beef and pork that I trimmed to make St. Louis ribs. A little change of pace and was glad that nothing went to waste.
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    edited July 2015
    @GATraveller I dont want to know what you googled to find that picture but I applaud you! 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Thanks for sharing. I will try these soon...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • GATraveller
    @GATraveller I dont want to know what you googled to find that picture but I applaud you! 
    Let's just say I will never be able to run for public office.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    Let's just say I will never be able to run for public office.
    Neither will I...

• dldawes1
    Do I see a trend in this thread ?  Remember my turducken last year ??  

• GATraveller

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA