Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RRP or Anyone....Dome Fit Problem

BOWHUNR
BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
I have a friend that has had a large egg for a while now and has always complained that he can not cook below 275-300* even with his BBQ Guru.  I always thought he had an air leak due to dome fit or alignment problems.  He told me the factory gasket was showing wear so I sold him a spare Rutland that I bought from Ron and supplied him with Ron's detailed instructions.  After he installed it he set the dome on and told me that not only can he pass a dollar bill over a third of the way around, but can see daylight through it.

I had him set the dome on a known flat surface (his glass patio table) and he reports the same gap.  I have five eggs, all with Rutland's and have never run into this.  In fact, after five years on the old and new forum I have never heard of this.  He sent me a photo of his Rutland install and it looks perfect.  Has anyone heard of a dome surface not being "true" from the factory?  Is it worth trying to "true up" with a belt sander?  Any thoughts, help or advice welcome.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I had some high spots on my base. I was able to work them down with a course Indian stone by hand. Once I got them close, I smoothed the area out with a paint stripper on a electric drill. For the record, I know very little about ceramics so if someone offers different advice than mine, you should probably take it. However my egg seals perfect and I haven't had any issues at all to date. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Yes! I most certainly have as my large which I bought new 15 years ago had both a wavy dome and base! Knowing what I know now I should have demanded a replacement, but I didn't.  With advice from eggers with similar issues I determined where the problems were.  The repair took some effort and no, not everyone will want to tackle it! 

Using a straight edge I found a level, flat area on my concrete garage floor. Then I rubbed both my base and dome on that area to see where the hills were and how serious they were. I started out with my belt sander and started knocking down the hills. Then using colored chalk I kept track of how much I had to keep going. Again I would revert to seeing by going back to my flat area in the garage.

I finally got both to a reasonable flatness and installed my first "bunched" Rutland. I ended up with only one area where neither the dome nor base wanted to match. I solved that by carefully lifting the Rutland and adding more adhesive to build up that section. 

Is it perfect? Well - it doesn't leak smoke! Was it a lot of effort? YES, but 15 years ago I was a younger man still full of p*ss and vinegar as they say! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Thanks guys.  SGH was your egg an older one like Ron's?  It doesn't seem like it would be too tough to knock down with a belt sander but maybe I'm wrong?  Then again I can't imagine this would be a problem for a warranty claim.  Guess it just depends on how quickly he wants it fixed.

Mike 

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    BOWHUNR said:
    Thanks guys.  SGH was your egg an older one like Ron's? 
    I purchased mine 2 1/2 years ago. However I got it at a discount because it was a older model or so I was told. But I feel that it couldn't have been more than a couple of years old when I got it. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    BOWHUNR said:
    Thanks guys.  SGH was your egg an older one like Ron's?  It doesn't seem like it would be too tough to knock down with a belt sander but maybe I'm wrong?  Then again I can't imagine this would be a problem for a warranty claim.  Guess it just depends on how quickly he wants it fixed.

Mike 
    Mike the secret that I forgot to mention last night when using the belt sander hold it so as to be working inside the dome and base - NOT from the outside. That way there is little to no chance of chipping the ceramic glaze.  Also using a finer grade belt combined with patience and time is better than a coarse grit belt and trying to be fast and aggressive! Sorry I don't have any pictures, but back then I didn't own a digital camera.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955

Have experienced the same as Ron on my original Large...and a neighbors Egg that he bought at a fest!

Many ways of truing up an uneven base...but a course pumice stone works like a champ. Follow it up with a carbide paper finish sanding...and your good to go!!

I like the "feel" of removing the material by hand...(too easy to overrun your marks, or as Ron cautions, chip off a piece of the lip glazing) using a machine tool.

Take your time...it's not difficult!!

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!