Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

50 lbs of pork on the XL

Options
A buddy is having a graduation party for his daughter tonight, I offered to cook pulled pork for him.  Based on 100 people, I figured 50 lbs should do it, it is also about all I felt I could fit on the XL.  I had the butcher at Wegmans set aside some 10 lb shoulders for me, came up with 5 ranging from 9.7 to 11 lbs.

Lit the lump at 6:45, then went to work rubbing the butts with a homemade rub I have used for years.  They went on a little before 7:30, temp has been holding steady at 277 for the last 25 minutes.  Smoke wood is hickory and maple.

As you can see, the egg is really full, I don't think there is much space between the meat and the dome.  I figure I will move them around after a few hours to even out the cooking. Plus they will shrink as they cook and the fat renders.  My plan is to foil them at the stall, pull them by 3:00, and deliver shortly after that.  I will try to post another pic or so as the cook progresses.
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments