Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Happy Independence Day / Brisket

Options
Happy Independence Day weekend to all!  I just got my brisket on the egg for the night.  I know it is nothing compared to some of the other efforts being put in by Eggers today and tomorrow (ahem, @DMW), but it is the biggest brisket I have ever done at over 17 pounds.  Here is a pic of the label of the brisket that I got at Shady Maple thanks to DMW.
I trimmed the brisket and my finger (damn worst knife cut I had in 20+ years), seasoned it(the brisket, not my finger, at least not much of my finger) up yesterday with S&P, garlic powder and a bit of mustard powder.  By Franklin's standard, I over seasoned, but I like it this way.

Here is the set-up for the egg.  I didn't even bother trying to fit this big hunk o' meat on the grid flat. I have it draped over the rib rack with a foil drip pan with some watered down red wine underneath most of the meat and my SS ARR drip pan under the rest.

Brisket on, but it is still a real tight fit.  It seems to be touching a bit on the flat.  My rib rack seems a bit tall.  Being a wise man who foresaw this ;) , that is another reason that I loaded up on the rub.  Now the meat will still be clean when I take off that part of the bark.  How's that for rationalization. Anyway, seems to be a good night for this in Downingtown.  I hope that mother nature is cooperating with all of your cooks.

Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle

Comments

• lousubcap
      lousubcap Posts: 32,349
      Options
      Reads like a great plan and cook.  One thing I can't tell from your last pic-make sure any brisket that overhangs outside your heat deflector is foil protected.  And as shrinkage takes over, you will get some height relief before you can go flat on the grid.  Enjoy the cook.  BTW-fat cap down here:)
      Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
    • itsmce
      itsmce Posts: 410
      Options
      Off to a good start. Good luck on the finish. 
      Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
    • fljoemon
      fljoemon Posts: 757
      Options
      Waiting to see the finished pics ... Looks great so far.
      LBGE & Mini
      Orlando, FL
    • Hawg Fan
      Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
      Options
      Waiting on the end of cook pictures.  That's a monster brisket even by Texas standards.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
    • QingEsq
      QingEsq Posts: 241
      Options
      Thanks folks.  @lousubcap, I have forgotten to protect the ends in the past, which is why I have the offsetting drip pans tonight to be underneath the full brisket.  Innaddition to catching the drippings, they should also work as a bit of a heat shield, although admittedly, the part without the stone below is still more exposed.  As for fat cap, I have always been a cap up guy, but heard Franklin suggest that he might go cap down in an egg to protect against the rising heat which makes sense to me, sort of.  I figured when it is this high up in the dome though, I would go fat cap up to protect against the reflecting heat, but I may flip after the shrinkage.  Thoughts?
      Downingtown, PA
      LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
    • lousubcap
      Options
      You are fine-I just tossed the "fat cap" thing in there with the :) as it can be a topic of too much worry.  Either way you are fine-and glad you have the foil protection sorted out.  Great eats at the finish-line.
      Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
    • QingEsq
      Options
      It's funny, I tell others not to overthink it.  But when I am cooking, I am always reading about methods, thinking about things like cap up or down, inject or not, turbo or low n slow.  I know that almost whatever I do, the end product will be better to me than any BBQ restaunt in the area and really good eats, but I am always striving for my personal version of perfection.  I have hit it on chicken and ribs, but brisket still evades me.  I still love trying for it though!
      Downingtown, PA
      LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
    • QingEsq
      Options
      12 hours in and sun is up.  Too groggy to remember to take a picture.  

Fluctuations in the grate level thermometer were driving me crazy, so I pulled the plug on that, went with dome which held steady through most of the night at about 260, and got some sleep.  The dome temp was starting to dip a bit at my 6:30am check in, so I opened the lid and I could almost hear the fire breathe in the fresh oxygen.  I opened the bottom vent a smidge.  Brisky's temp is about 187 and the bark is looking good.  After some internal debate, I wrapped in foil.  Now back to sleep for another hour or two.
      Downingtown, PA
      LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
    • TexanOfTheNorth
      TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
      Options
      Sounds like all is under control. Looking forward to seeing the end results.

Happy 4th!
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
      Options
      Sounds like it's trucking right along. Happy 4th to you. Will standby for the finale. 
      LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
      Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
      Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
    • CriggyBites
      Options
      Can't wait to see the result. Newbie question....... what is fat cap, cap up etc? 
      Northamptonshire, UK
      Twitter - @criggybarbar
      Blog - www.criggybites.com

• TexanOfTheNorth
      TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
      Options
      Fat cap is the layer of fat on the outside of the brisket (side opposite the point). There is some debate as to whether you should cook with that side up or down. The former suggests that, as the fat renders, it will self-baste the meat. The later say that it protects the brisket from too much heat. Not sure that there is a right/wrong, better/worse option.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
      Thanks @TexanOfTheNorth Not done brisket yet, but am looking forward to doing so. 
      Northamptonshire, UK
      Twitter - @criggybarbar
      Blog - www.criggybites.com

• QingEsq
      Options
      Hi @CriggyBites.  Brisket has a lot of fat typically, but one side of the brisket has a thick layer of fat all over it and the other has more silverskin and random placements of fat here and there.  The thick layer of fat is referred to as the fat cap.  

Bbq'ers debate and talk way to much (sometimes to themselves  ;)) about whether the fat cap shoulb be facing up or down on the gril grate.  I would say a manority go cap up with the theory that the fat relacionadas nders and bastes the mest below it.  However, others don't believe the basting and focus on using the fat cap as a shield from the direct heat ine cooker.  So, for example, the brisket guru, Aaron Franklin, goes fat cap up in his cookers, not so much because of the basting theory, but because there is more heat above the brisket in his cookers.  He has theorized that if he were to cook on a BGE, because the heat comes from below, ho would probqbly go fat cap down.

this link should take you to aaron franklin's bbq series on youtube, he explsins this much better and in more detail than I ever could.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU
      Downingtown, PA
      LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
    • QingEsq
      Options
      @TexanOfTheNorth beat me to the punch and is not nearly as verbose.
      Downingtown, PA
      LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
    • QingEsq
      Options

Brisket came off the egg at 10:30 AM for a total cook time of about 16 hours.  Temp reading was 201.  FTC'ed for my buddy's party.  Served around 1:30.  It was a hit.  Tasty, tender and juicy.  I guess it was a touch over because when I tried to balance a slice on the knife, it split at the last minute, but I was nonetheless very pleased.  Overall, between taste and texture, it was probably my best brisket.

Downingtown, PA
      LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
    • NPHuskerFL
      NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
      Options
      :clap: Looks real good from my seat. Happy 4th man! :murica: 
      LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
      Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
      Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
    • DMW
      DMW Posts: 13,832
      Options
      Nice brisket!
      They/Them
      Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
    • YukonRon
      YukonRon Posts: 16,989
      Options
      That is a delicious looking cook! I am saving this with a couple others when I do my first briskie!
      "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
      Louisville, Kentucky
    • Sea2Ski
      Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
      Options
      Nicely executed!!!   I thought I smelled something down the road.....    I should have followed the scent and stopped in for a bite.  

Bravo!
      --------------------------------------------------
      Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
      ....just look for the smoke!
      Large and MiniMax
      --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
    • txhawkeye
      txhawkeye Posts: 279
      Options
    • lousubcap
      Options
      Most eggcellent-congrats on the cook.