Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooked a pork loin yesterday

Options
milesvdustin
milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
edited July 2015 in EggHead Forum
So i actually got home early enough to fire up the egg for a weeknight dinner, and my wife was about to put a pork loin in the oven. Needless to say, i stepped in and took over. I rubbed it down with some honey and lime juice, then a light dusting of garlic powder and some kosher salt. Set the AR up with the oval stone and drip pan at level 1.5, then the grid at level 4.5. Couple apple chunks for smoke. 

Once that was happy, it cooked/smoked for about two hours to an internal temp of 145, then i pulled it off.

After the rest it peaked out at 155 IT, and was so juicy and awesome. Had some stove top and grilled asparagus with it. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

Comments

• biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    Options
    Looks delicious.  Nice job!
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • BigJonMoo73
    Options
    Awesome job! I have a couple of these in my freezer. What temp did you Egg them at?
    Little Elm, Tx
    LBGE
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    That looks fantastic!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Looks awesome !!  Great cook !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Options
    Looks amazing.  Succulent and had a nice smoke ring.
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    That looks like one of those foods that don't quite make it to the plate. Best eating them ones straight off the cutting board. Nice cook. :plus_one: 

Glad to see you got the night off. I'm sure you don't get many off. Enjoy as many as you can. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Keep knocking them out of the park like this cook and you will never have to take over from her again. She'll be standing there as you come in, arms crossed, tapping her toe saying "Where have you been? This should have been on the egg an hour ago".
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I haven't cooked a pork loin in many years, always found them dry, but back then we all cooked them much more well done than people do today.  The pictures look wonderful, and the meat looks juicy!  I'll have to try one, one of these days.
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    @BigJonMoo73 i went 300 degrees with this one. 

@stemc33 i start a four day weekend tomorrow!!! I have two gallon bags full of chicken legs marinating in allegro h n s since saturday! 

@Skiddymarker, she loves the food i cook, she just didnt expect me to be home before 2200. I have gotten her cooking on it now.

It was a nice evening, wore my son out chasing him around after dinner. Hes 18 months old, and a huge cheeseball! 
    This is us at this neat park near the house the other day 

• milesvdustin
    Options
    Sideways from the cell phone. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Super pic - enjoy them while you can still win the mental gymnastics competitions!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    I gave up pork loins years ago.  I was a braise-them-on-the-stove kind of cook when it came to large cuts of meat.  The pork loins always turned out terribly dry.  Then came the Egg about 2 years ago.  Now, Pork Loin is one of our favorite meals.  I take it off the egg around 140 and so, so, good - both hot and they make killer sandwiches for the next week!
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    Pork loin was the first meal I cooked on the Egg. The fam loved it, really juicy with just the right amount of smoke. It's a regular at our house now. Yours looks great.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle