Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I don't care....

Options

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I'm sure there are a large group of people who find clowns offensive and are reminded of John Wayne Gacy's atrocious actions every time they see one.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Legume said:
    Let me just say I have no issue with people, of their own free will, removing it, or private companies freely removing it.

I will have an issue if the government intervenes and forces people to remove it.  That is a trampling of rights.
    I would probably agree with that, but has that happened?  I believe gov has the right to deny having it officially displayed on gov facilities, not tell you you can't wear it as a bikini, if that's your thing.

@GATraveller ?  equating a serial killer dressed as a clown to the flag?  I don't get it.
    I fully support that sweet woman's right to wear the confedetate flag!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    henapple said:
    Wish I was in Dixie.... 

I'm torn here, while clearly a racist which I don't condone I feel this particular racist should be given a pass here.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    jonnymack said:
    henapple said:
    Wish I was in Dixie.... 

I'm torn here, while clearly a racist which I don't condone I feel this particular racist should be given a pass here.

She should take down that flag immediately!

And those pretty little bottoms too........
  • GATraveller
    Options
    I think Mike Rowe makes a great point:

Racism and terrorism and all the other hate-filled “-isms” that plague the species will never be eliminated by banning flags, burning books, limiting speech, or outlawing white sheets and pointy little hats. When Dylan Roof walked into The First Emanuel Church and killed nine black Americans, he wasn’t waving his rebel flag or screaming the N-word. He didn’t look like a racist. He didn’t act like a racist. Until he started killing people.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options
    "Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    very true @GATraveller but they're not being banned, people/businesses/gov offices are choosing to not have them represent them.  but back to the original question.  you've said other things are offensive that aren't banned (eg clowns) and you've said that banning them won't stop racism - totally agree.

but my question, what does it represent beyond the obvious offensive things - what redeeming value, what does it mean to a southerner, because I'm not one and I'm trying to be open minded, not trolling.
  • GATraveller
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I couldn't tell ya but maybe this guy can?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8hPo6mYnks 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Yet clowns still roam freely about the circus and carnival.......

We do not do clowns. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GATraveller
    Options
    I'm indifferent to clowns but my sister-in-law is terrified.   =)

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited July 2015
    Options
    This clown always gave me the willies 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    it's not the state flag of SC, so why is it flying on state property?

And if folks really want to have a  go at it, why don't they work on convincing groups like the KKK and other yahoo's from misappropriating symbols of their heritage? I'm sure Billy Bob could help, seeing as how he so cleverly duped a Wal-mart employee into making his ISIS cake.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GATraveller
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I can agree with that @theyolksonyou.  I am 42.  I was not alive during the Jim Crowe South.  I would say to my generation of Southerners the flag stood for the "line in the sand".  We don't want a big federal government - maintain our highways, protect the borders and stay out of our way.  You can only push us so far and tax us so much before we rebel.  It was about a states right to say "F you....enough is enough!!".  I never thought of it as a racist symbol.  My ancestor who fought with the D Company of the 8th Regiment from Meriwether County didn't march all the way up to Gettysburgh, PA to fight for the institution of slavery.  They were poor share croppers who didn't own slaves and most likely hadn't even met anyone who did.  They were fighting against taxation - it even says so in his journal.

Maybe we were quite naive but to us the only people who ever had a problem with the flag were folks from up north (which suited us just fine).

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Legume
    Options
    Well damn Yolk, you went and got all articulate and stuff.

Thanks for the thoughtful response to the question.  To be honest, I'm sure I'm influenced by the media take on this - it's not in my blood, so the racial overtones are what hit me first (that and the unsettling preponderance of people saying or doing stupid things that happen to be wearing or waving the flag). 

I'm not a native Texan, so I cringe rather than swell with pride when I hear the cry of the republic here and the call for secession, but I get the states' rights argument, it's not exclusive to any one state or the South.  California (where I grew up) perpetually goes through grass-roots movements or discussion on splitting the state into two for various reasons, it's not the same, but every state has their stuff.  I guess understand a little better now how people see this as part of their heritage.

That being said - nobody is taking it away, sure, it's getting kicked around, but those are opinion-driven actions, not encroachment on freedoms that I've heard so far.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    caliking said:

And if folks really want to have a  go at it, why don't they work on convincing groups like the KKK and other yahoo's from misappropriating symbols of their heritage? I'm sure Billy Bob could help, seeing as how he so cleverly duped a Wal-mart employee into making his ISIS cake.
    Second paragraph is a little stereotypical. 

Fact is you cannot fix stupid, period. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Great reads @theyolksonyou and @GATraveller
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    caliking said:

Second paragraph is a little stereotypical

It flows both ways. 
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    caliking said:

Second paragraph is a little stereotypical

It flows both ways. 
    Exactly the point! 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Over 50,000 free black men volunteered to fight for the confederacy. .... but why? Not for slavery my friends. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    BTW, this is the national flag of the confederacy (the forth variant), not the high jacked battle flag. 

• Legume
    Options
    @henapple and @GATraveller thanks for your responses as well. I started my reply to yolk a while ago and got sidetracked with work.  I just now saw yours after I hit post and I appreciate the insight, although I do think that saying 'you won't understand it if you're not from here' probably paints the kind of insular picture that causes people to stereotype.  I'm just asking to try to understand what it means to people - the part that's not on the news.  I'm not trying to agree with it or become Southern.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You can bet your ass that dude is within a stone's throw of a confederate flag :lol: 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Over 50,000 free black men volunteered to fight for the confederacy. .... but why? Not for slavery my friends. 
    Nope:

Though no one knows for sure, the number of slaves who fought and labored for the South was modest, estimated Stauffer. Blacks who shouldered arms for the Confederacy numbered more than 3,000 but fewer than 10,000, he said, among the hundreds of thousands of whites who served. Black laborers for the cause numbered from 20,000 to 50,000.

Those are not big numbers, said Stauffer. Black Confederate soldiers likely represented less than 1 percent of Southern black men of military age during that period, and less than 1 percent of Confederate soldiers. And their motivation for serving isn’t taken into account by the numbers, since some may have been forced into service, and others may have seen fighting as a way out of privation. 

• tarheelmatt
    Options

Nope:

Though no one knows for sure, the number of slaves who fought and labored for the South was modest, estimated Stauffer. Blacks who shouldered arms for the Confederacy numbered more than 3,000 but fewer than 10,000, he said, among the hundreds of thousands of whites who served. Black laborers for the cause numbered from 20,000 to 50,000.

Those are not big numbers, said Stauffer. Black Confederate soldiers likely represented less than 1 percent of Southern black men of military age during that period, and less than 1 percent of Confederate soldiers. And their motivation for serving isn’t taken into account by the numbers, since some may have been forced into service, and others may have seen fighting as a way out of privation. 

Please state your resources and I'll state mine as well. Mine actually states between 50 and 100k. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Oh ****... It's on now.  :o
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN