Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Time planning.

New Egghead. When factoring time for a slow shoulder smoke how do you adjust time for two smaller shoulders versus a one large shoulder?  Do you factor time on total weight or the weight of the largest piece?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited July 2015
    Each hunk will cook as a standalone piece as long as they aren't touching.  That said, two equal weighted hunks can finish a couple of hours apart.  Pay attention to the largest one but also check on the smaller one as it could run longer.  FWIW-
    Edit:  Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    No, you do not factor time for total weight.

As @lousubcap says, even two equal weighted pieces of meat will probably cook at different times.

Welcome to the forum and to the lifestyle!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    the smaller ones take less time than the larger ones but always seem to take longer than you would think
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Welcome - and there is no exact science. That's why we invented FTC. IMO, some time in the cooler enhances the pull, so if one finishes an hour or two before the other, not a big deal if it spends that time in the cooler. You can hold for 4 hours easy, so plan to finish early and all will be good. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Welcome aboard!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• lawslug22
    lawslug22 Posts: 5
    Is it better to get a large price to feed about 15 or to get a couple of smaller ones?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I would go with two smaller depending on the split weight.  Once you get below around a 5-6 lb pork butt the total cook time at a fixed temp seems to go up.  So if you can achieve your cook with two 6-8 lb butts instead of a 12-14 lb shoulder I would go that direction. Plus more bark area.   FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.