Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT -- Any gardeners out there?

Options

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Thank You @Botch my favorite time is early spring with the fragrance of citrus blooms, Jasmine and later with the gardinias (one of the gardenia bushes is well over 8' tall now). 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    First jalepenos! Look supermarket worthy! 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Well if flowers are on board then I will have to post some of Mrs3969 works of beauty. This is all her,she even took the pics for me!!  

This is is my granddaughters Fairy Garden. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Took a few pics of thcommunity garden today...

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Ok another newbie question

im cover up in cayenne peppers on the plant, but they're all green. Do I pick them and let the mature to red or so they stay on the plant?

im struggling with when to harvest, but so far everything has been good. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    lost the cukes and cantelope, not sure if its too much peat in the raised beds for those plants with all the rain they have seen.  summer squash and eggplant same spot last year never worked out either
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    lost the cukes and cantelope, not sure if its too much peat in the raised beds for those plants with all the rain they have seen.  summer squash and eggplant same spot last year never worked out either
    Sorry to hear. I am by no means an expert but post pics and I might be able to offer some thoughts on whether the loss was due to nutrient deficiency or bugs/fungus
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Sorry to hear. I am by no means an expert but post pics and I might be able to offer some thoughts on whether the loss was due to nutrient deficiency or bugs/fungus
    they might not be there at all right now, will see when i get to camp tommorrow. planted 3.5 weeks ago and they just yellowed withered and died. they never took off. no signs of bugs when i turned the soil, i actually set fire to the top on that raised bed earlier because of powdery mildew ruining last years squash and zukes and didnt see any signs this year from the mildew. when i turned the soil added a bag of miracle grow soil and manure to the turned in ashes.  everything else in that bed took off, bean bushes, sunflower, hot peppers and herbs. need to find something that climbs as thats the only bed i have setup for a climber. tomatoes look incredible this year, growing and setting quickly
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • LHP
    LHP Posts: 26
    Options
    Chubbs said:

LHP said:
    I was just out killing squash bugs and managed to squirt blue bug guts directly in my eye.  Fun stuff. 
    Pics or didn't happen
    I'm not at all squeamish- but I wasted no time getting to the hose to wash it off- yuck.  Kinda surprised it didn't cause any irritation.

Still fighting the damn squash bugs and just now I saw an adult Squash Vine Borer Moth flying around.  Sure enough, found a ton of eggs.  I chased the adult around for 30 min before I remembered I own a table salt shot gun.  
    http://bugasalt.com

It blew the carcass into the grass, but there is no way it survived.  I've killed paper wasps with it, so a soft moth doesn't have a chance.  

It's starting to look less like Victory Garden and more like Starship Troopers in my yard.  I actually love bugs, but this is getting ridiculous.  

Middle Peninsula VA
  • Chubbs
    Options
    @LHP you can mix 1TB baking soda and 1TB of plain dish soap in a gallon pump up sprayer and soak the tops and bottoms of all leaves. This will treat any fungus and get rid of all soft bodied insects. 
  • LHP
    Options
    Will it take care of SVB eggs?  I was thinking about trying a similar solution I made last year for fern caterpillars.  

Middle Peninsula VA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I am pulling most of my veg this weekend.  with all of the rain in May, way too much vegetative growth, they've become leggy monsters that cannot support their weight.  tons of tomatoes have been harvested, but the plants are declining rapidly so we're going to replant this weekend.  squashes and eggplants were primarily fails, cukes are ok, but not great.

Round two coming - at least we have a long hot summer ahead of us still
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    A lot of tomatoes are coming with bottom rot. Uneven watering? It's been high nineties here and watering had been h even whether I like it or not...

also - can you pick tomatoes early and ripen them in the kitchen? A stupid bird has been getting tomatoes right before I go to pick them...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Ok another newbie question

im cover up in cayenne peppers on the plant, but they're all green. Do I pick them and let the mature to red or so they stay on the plant?

im struggling with when to harvest, but so far everything has been good. 

I always let my cayennes turn red on the plant.  You will end up with more peppers than you know what to do with.
    NOLA
  • Chubbs
    Options
    A lot of tomatoes are coming with bottom rot. Uneven watering? It's been high nineties here and watering had been h even whether I like it or not...

also - can you pick tomatoes early and ripen them in the kitchen? A stupid bird has been getting tomatoes right before I go to pick them...
    Few things this could be. Likely a calcium deficiency. Might want to check pH of soil and supplement with lime. Also make sure you are not over fertilizing. They also make a spray you can spray on the tomatoes to prevent it as a short term fix. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I had bottom rot on my tomatoes last year and cutting back on water solved it for me.  I had my drip running daily, cut it back to every other day but bumped the time by about 30%
  • LHP
    Options
    Welp, I think I've already lost the SVB battle.  I thought I was seeing the first wave, but while I was looking for more eggs, I saw some goopy frass at the bases of my plants.  I tried to kill the larva in the main vines with a straight pin and plucked off some damaged stalks.  Considering the damage already done and the eggs that I surely missed, it looks like I'm gonna be zucchini-less.  Booooooooo!  

Terrible pic- 

Middle Peninsula VA
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    So I had class all week and did not come home. Wife and kids went to the beach. When I got home day I  went straight to the garden and found these. There is a 24 oz tervis and a quart mason jar for size. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    @Chubbs ... Now here's what I did with our first tomatoes! !  Fresh bread, Dukes Mayo, salt & pepper.  One tip I use is salt the tomato and pepper the mayo... I swear it taste better  
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    Options
    First harvest of broccoli from the garden.  Also got two cucumbers, but those will probably be the last.  Think it was some sort of bug in the stem of the vine killing it.
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    I realized yesterday that I had either in my fridge or on the counter: zucchini, onions, potatoes, carrots, lettuce, and beans all from my garden. Gotta love it!
    My tomato plants are heavy with fruits. Spotted the first cantaloupe and watermelon on the vines earlier this week.  
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Tomatoes are generating tons of fruit. Single stemming is definitely the way to go. Watermelons coming on too
  • Chubbs
    Options

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I did not read any of this but my wife is vegan and organic veggies are expensive and not always available. I am gonna set up a 4'*4' flood table with a 400 watt metal halide hood in the next couple months in the garage. Gonna need to do more research only thing i ever grew before was in veg state as long as it got more than 12 hours of light a day and flowered once you put it on 12/12. Sucks to get old.
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Lit said:
    I did not read any of this but my wife is vegan and organic veggies are expensive and not always available. I am gonna set up a 4'*4' flood table with a 400 watt metal halide hood in the next couple months in the garage. Gonna need to do more research only thing i ever grew before was in veg state as long as it got more than 12 hours of light a day and flowered once you put it on 12/12. Sucks to get old.
    Not following this but ummm post pics?
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    The first Romas from the garden. 

• Chubbs
    Options
    The first Romas from the garden. 

Looking good.  I have about 3 dozen Roma's to make my first batch of sauce. Love romas
  • BbqCamel
    BbqCamel Posts: 17
    Options
    First post on the forum. But here is my garden this year.