Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT -- Any gardeners out there?

Options

Comments

• BbqCamel
    BbqCamel Posts: 17
    edited July 2015
    Options
    first post on the forum but here is my garden this year

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @BbqCamel

Man that is a huge garden........

no pictures means it did not happen
  • BbqCamel
    Options
    Lol. Thanks. I'll post some more soon. Putting in 1/2 acre of pumpkins in the am. 
  • BbqCamel
    Options
    Firemanyz said:
    @BbqCamel

Man that is a huge garden........

no pictures means it did not happen
    Did the pics not come through?
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,144
    Options
    Sauce recipes please....

and, I'll bet @Chubbs can tell me how to save tomato seeds from this year for next year? :)
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Firemanyz
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @BbqCamel the pic are up now and as I said that is a huge garden. When I made my first post the pics were not showing. I was being a smart ass. Either way welcome to the forum and can't wait to see more pics of your garden as it progresses. 

Ps good luck with the pumpkins.  Two falls ago I tossed the rotting pumpkins into my garden area. Last year the came up and were a HUGE PIA. They took over everything and only produced a few small pumpkins. 
  • BbqCamel
    Options
    Thank you. I am new to the forum stuff so wasn't sure if the pictures posted or what pictures I posted. I look foward to the forum an learning how to maximize my egg!

I feel your pain...pumpkins are hard to grow. I have been at them 15 years and yet to have a worry free year. 
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    Since we have a bunch of experienced gardeners on here I have a question. My Lebanese blush squash is suffering from blossom rot. I have lost at least 10 squash so far and unable to harvest any. Any suggestions on what to do, organically preferably. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Since we have a bunch of experienced gardeners on here I have a question. My Lebanese blush squash is suffering from blossom rot. I have lost at least 10 squash so far and unable to harvest any. Any suggestions on what to do, organically preferably. 
    mine never took off last year, it was powdery mildew. google a pic on a sqaush plant and see if you have any signs on the leaves. i dont think the wetness this year is helping up here either, i replanted all the cukes a week ago and lost the cantelope. if its powdery mildew use baking soda water and dish soap... the ratio is posted somewhere in this thread by chubbs, diluted milk is supposed to help as well but it didnt work for me, chubbs recipe knocked the mildew off my apples earlier this year
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    How big are the squash when they are rotting. If only small and turn brown and fall off this means they are not pollinating. Do you have male (just stem and flower) and female (large ovary behind flower) flowers? Try to encourage pollinators with other flowers.  Post a pic and I may be able to help
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Options
    If you have powdery mildew @TN_Sister_State like @fishlessman said you can add 1 TBS of baking soda and 1 TBS of dish soap to a 1 gallon pump up sprayer of water. This will get rid of mildew and also defend against soft bodied insects. Do it in the morning preferably and stir it up good. A clump of baking soda on leaves will burn them. 
  • TN_Sister_State
    Options
    @Chubbs I think you just nailed it with the male plant.  Ill take some cotton swabs out there this evening and help the process along.
    Franklin, Tn

• Chubbs
    Options
    @Chubbs I think you just nailed it with the male plant.  Ill take some cotton swabs out there this evening and help the process along.
    I have flowers all over my squash and zucchini and zero female flowers. Frustrating  
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    I have the saddest garden of all time. The tomatoes are hit hard with blight this year. I grew up on a farm and we never had much trouble with blight. I'm seeing why we always rotated crops now. Being stuck in one raised bed planter has really brought the blight out in full force.
  • Firemanyz
    Options
    @chubbs Ok so I have a few questions:

1 does anyone know of a way to ripen up butternut squash?  Had a very long day and night yesterday, so I decided to take a nap when I got home. My wife and kids decided it was time to go weed the garden. While doing so she figured these 12" squash are ready to pick. She ended up picking 8 that were not ripe. At this point I think they may be chicken food for the neighbors chicks. 

2 here are a few pics of the squash and some other stuff in the garden. A bunch of stuff is dying out and I think it is due to a disease. Is this where I should mix a TBS of baking soda and a TBS of dish soap to try and salvage them?

3. Also there is something going on on the bottom of my tomato plants. They were laying over and I just tied them up a few days ago. 
  • TN_Sister_State
    Options
    @Chubbs that mildew you referred to just appeared today. 
    Franklin, Tn

• Chubbs
    Options
    @Chubbs that mildew you referred to just appeared today. 
    I got some too. Spray her with the solution in the morning. It will be fine. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    if you pick the bad leaves, put them in the trash bag, you dont want them in the yard or composte
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    cukes are taking a beating here, first batch turn yellow and died. second batch they were cut about 1.5 inces from the ground, was thinking cut worm but not to be found. a few survivors in one location cut again but the tops disapeared so now im thinking varmit, duck, goose or muskrat . three plants remain hidden in the bush beans out of the 18 planted, doesnt look good for them this year
    fukahwee maine

• Chubbs
    Options
    cukes are taking a beating here, first batch turn yellow and died. second batch they were cut about 1.5 inces from the ground, was thinking cut worm but not to be found. a few survivors in one location cut again but the tops disapeared so now im thinking varmit, duck, goose or muskrat . three plants remain hidden in the bush beans out of the 18 planted, doesnt look good for them this year
    Cukes are extremely big feeders. They take a ton of nutrients from soil. Once yellowing starts you can mix Epsom salt with water and spray. I just did this yesterday and side dressed mine with pelletized fertilizer. If needed quicker, you can use liquid fertilizer
  • Chubbs
    Options
    @TN_Sister_State you also have some yellowing. See my above comments. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    I had four cukes in containers, one did well, three yellowed and made apple shaped fruit. This explains it, thanks. 

Im not having great success, but I've learned a lot this year just in this thread, so thanks!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Cukes are extremely big feeders. They take a ton of nutrients from soil. Once yellowing starts you can mix Epsom salt with water and spray. I just did this yesterday and side dressed mine with pelletized fertilizer. If needed quicker, you can use liquid fertilizer

i havent gotten one to reach 4 inches yet this year and its planted in miracle grow =) its just not my year for cukes and maybe theres too much peat in that bagged soil keeping the roots too wet. anyways, something is eating them before they take off
    fukahwee maine

• Chubbs
    Options
    I had four cukes in containers, one did well, three yellowed and made apple shaped fruit. This explains it, thanks. 

Im not having great success, but I've learned a lot this year just in this thread, so thanks!
    Don't get discouraged. It takes a few years to figure out. If you can treat them with the solutions I mentioned and cure them you are good. If not, then it is likely bugs or they were too far gone. They key is to get on a schedule with your feedings and solutions. This, to me, helps isolate the problem. I guess being proactive versus reactive. 
  • Chubbs
    Options
    One more thing to note. When spraying plants with the solution make sure you get under side of leaves too. That is often when the problems are. Soak them down good and do it early in AM
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @BbqCamel not sure if anyone told you this, but you do not have a garden, you have what they call a farm.  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • BbqCamel
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Haha. Thanks man.  That's a garden for my family. My family tends arounds 1,000 acres mixed between potatoes, corn, soybeans and tobacco. However, given the current heat, the work can be desired. 
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Grabbed a few tomatoes this morning for some pasta sauce. 
  • BbqCamel
    Options
    First sample pick of the season.