Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How NOT to slice a brisket.

Options

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    HAHA! Definitely piling on at this point, but yes; those are both remarkably bad videos. I have to imagine there was some reasoning behind these parallel travesties, but I have no earthly conception of what those may have been...

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    Haha @cazzy In case you didn't notice, that pink area, is called the smoke ring. That's some good stuff right there. 
    NW IOWA
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    I guess if I eat every piece of the Brisket I'm wrong after watching these horror flicks!
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    SGH said:
    Next time you and NOLA better be looking around and make sure nobodys filming you when yall start slicing at brisket camp. 
    Brother pharmacist, while my knife skills are certainly nowhere near what they use to be when I was in my prime, I feel I could have done a better job with a chainsaw than those fellows in the videos did. Just watching them was painful. 
    You could probably do better with a damn weedeater and a KFC spork. 

Little Rock, AR

• StillSmoken
    StillSmoken Posts: 327
    Options
    Funny!! I went to a butcher a couple years ago and bought my first brisket.  He told me to watch the "wholly smokes" video and that's all you need to know about carving brisket.  No wonder my one and only brisket sucked.  What an a$$ hole. 
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Not sure he understood what a "burnt end" is either @SGH
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    This has to be some kind of a joke. The guy doing the slicing is Scott Roberts from The Salt Lick Bar-B-Que (Driftwood, TX). As much brisket as they sell, I don't think they waste that much. 
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    It would be far less offensive if he at least handed off the discarded pieces to me instead of throwing them away. What a great laugh, and I don't know squat about brisket.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    The first thing I do when I am trimming up a brisket to smoke I find the grain and cut a small piece off in the edge of the flat where it is against the grain so I know where to cut when it is done and you can't tell with the bark.  Some people don't like the bark, but they can trim it off themselves IMO.  What he calls the burnt end really makes me made and if this guy completes, how is he winning anything?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • MelSharples
    MelSharples Posts: 260
    Options
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Not sure he understood what a "burnt end" is either @SGH
    You are certainly correct my friend. 

Popsicle said:
    This has to be some kind of a joke. The guy doing the slicing is Scott Roberts from The Salt Lick Bar-B-Que (Driftwood, TX). As much brisket as they sell, I don't think they waste that much. 
    Popsicle
    When I first watched it my impression was that it was a gag or joke. But after farther review and study, I feel that it was real. He goes into to much depth and detail for it to be a joke. Also brother Cen Tex posted above that he knows many places that does this very thing. If it was a joke, I sure wish that they would have pointed it out. A lot of unknowing and inexperienced people will watch that  and pick up some bad habits. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    It has to be a joke.  
    Toronto ON
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    wouldn't mind having that knife - looks like he was slicing butter- even though most of it was sacrilege. 
  • andres1987
    andres1987 Posts: 44
    edited June 2015
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    wouldn't mind having that knife - looks like he was slicing butter- even though most of it was sacrilege. 
    i think it's this one. it's awesome, i have it myself. what he did to that brisket has no name. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001L68B08?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00
    Austin, Texas
  • onedbguru
    Options
    He may not be discarding the meat, but putting it into a bin under the table for later use - if this is indeed Scott from Salt Lick, their baked beans have chunks of brisket - some DANG good beans!!
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Beans may be good but that's a really big waste of some expensive beef just for some beans. 
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • onedbguru
    Options
    or could be for their burnt ends... I don't believe there is enough evidence that he is actually "wasting" the product. I would not butcher it this way, but then I don't have all the facts to determine "wastefulness".  Just sayin. 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    or could be for their burnt ends... I don't believe there is enough evidence that he is actually "wasting" the product. I would not butcher it this way, but then I don't have all the facts to determine "wastefulness".  Just sayin. 
    Don't think so... he gave "the" burnt end away.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I want to cry and have a beer!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    OK.  Here is a legit question for the expert brisket slicers.

Is it acceptable to separate the flat muscle from the point muscle (WITHOUT THROWING STUFF AWAY) and then slice them separately so that you can have "lean" brisket and "moist" brisket?  This way each muscle can be sliced perfectly across the grain - rather than the compromise one has to make when both muscles are sliced together such that they are each being sliced "relatively" across the grain.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Absolutely! You can also separate them and use the point (or deckle) for burnt ends (assuming you want more than the one burnt end he got off of his brisket)
    Options
    From my limited experience you want to slice the flat against the grain, but since the point has more fatty tissue in it, it can be sliced in about any direction.  I may be wrong on this, but when I do burnt ends I separate the point from the flat and cut the flat against the grain and the point straight across in 1" slices then again into 1' cubes.  The points grain is usually going in a different direction.  I have just sliced the whole thing against the grain starting in the corner of the flat.  This is just from my experience, @SGH what do you think.  Also I keep all the bark, but try to trim off as much off the fat inside as I can and save those pieces for me.  I don't mind the fatty pieces at all.  

It sounds like a instruction video on how to cut a brisket need to be made by one of us or more.

I found this one on Youtube and he cuts off the fat cap first then continues to move it to always cut against the grain.  This is better way and no waste.
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXuUh2XFjVA

Kansas City, Mo.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    @Ladeback69 I always cut against the grain, point and flat.  Not doing so makes for a stringy and less tender chew.  That is of course for serving slices.  Cubing up a point for burnt ends wouldn't matter.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    The Aaron Franklin video above and his "Brisket Payoff" you tube video make slicing the brisket (flat and point) easy to follow.  Takes the mystique out of the process. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It sounds like a instruction video on how to cut a brisket need to be made by one of us or more.

I found this one on Youtube and he cuts off the fat cap first then continues to move it to always cut against the grain.  This is better way and no waste.

Why reinvent the wheel when Aaron has a perfect one on YouTube.  If you don't cut it whole like he does, just separate and go from there but it still is a perfect example.

That video is terrible.  It is wasteful as he's wasting his bark because he doesn't trim it properly raw.  The deckle should be removed during prep and the fat cap should be trimmed to 1/4 inch.  This prevents the need to trim your fat cap down post cook and throw away bark you work your butt off for.  He also doesn't know how to hold a knife...just saying.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    cazzy said:

Why reinvent the wheel when Aaron has a perfect one on YouTube.  If you don't cut it whole like he does, just separate and go from there but it still is a perfect example.

That video is terrible.  It is wasteful as he's wasting his bark because he doesn't trim it properly raw.  The deckle should be removed during prep and the fat cap should be trimmed to 1/4 inch.  This prevents the need to trim your fat cap down post cook and throw away bark you work your butt off for.  He also doesn't know how to hold a knife...just saying.
    I see you points on wasting bark, but I thought he was cutting the fat cap off, which usually comes off when I bring it of the grill anyway.  I take it the deckle is the hard fat next to the point and I always remove that.  I didn't pay attention to how he was holding the knife tell you said something.  I remember watching the Food Network and Ann Burrell say don't put your finger on top of the blade and I haven't since.  That's a good way to get hurt.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    It's a 302 thing . . .