Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which Replacement Gasket to Use?

Options
I'm looking to replace my factory gasket and am wondering if there's a nearly unanimous pick for which gasket to replace with?  In a bit of reading (Nakedwhiz site largely) I've seen:

1. Nomex
2. Rutland 
3. BGE Factory Replacement (I'm not going to do this one)

And I'm sure there's others.

Is there a best option? 

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    No brainer, PM @RRP for the Rutland
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Haven't done it yet, but the forum has sold me on Rutland sourced from @RRP.  Premium product, priced well, excellent support and documentation.  See the thanks RRP thread just down the page.   Ron is getting to be as much of a standard as the Thermapen. Lol
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Agree. Two things every new egg owner should be told is to go buy a Thermapen and order a Rutland gasket from Ron. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Hotch said:
    No brainer, PM @RRP for the Rutland
    What he said. ^^
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    High temp Permatex will be my next one. Getting a warranty base for our XL. Just replaced the gasket on the Egg prior to the cracking the base. If the combination of old dome new base leaks will be doing the silicone deal soon...
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Rutland
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SteelCitySmoke814
    Options
    Excellent!  Thanks all... Rutland it is. 
  • Booder34
    Booder34 Posts: 14
    Options
    You guys just getting your Rutland off amazon or something?  Anyone post a link where they are getting there's?  I have an XL and just had my 1 year anniversary and lookin to upgrading to this. 
  • SteelCitySmoke814
    Options
    Booder34 said:
    You guys just getting your Rutland off amazon or something?  Anyone post a link where they are getting there's?  I have an XL and just had my 1 year anniversary and lookin to upgrading to this. 
    I just PM'd @RRP and got a very simple ordering process messaged and emailed to me nearly instantaneously, very simple.  Hope this helps!
  • Booder34
    Booder34 Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks. Will do that. 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Basically, there are three choices:
    Rutland from RRP
    Rutland from RRP
    Rutland from RRP
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    Options
    Why use any. Have a Large and a Mini without gaskets and they cook no different than my Large and Mini-Max with gaskets. Both without gaskets have been w/o for several years. Why do it?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options

PS: just for the record, I love RRP and would only use his if I was replaceing gaskets. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,920
    Options
    Mickey said:

PS: just for the record, I love RRP and would only use his if I was replaceing gaskets. 

LOL - love ya back, bro! I know you have been a commando fan for years and I appreciate the clarification that you weren't slamming me!
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Why use any. Have a Large and a Mini without gaskets and they cook no different than my Large and Mini-Max with gaskets. Both without gaskets have been w/o for several years. Why do it?
    Why use any?  I love my electronics for low and slows - Maverick, DigiQ, ThermoWorks - and the felt/Nomex/Rutland seals provide some cushion to protect the probe wires.  Besides, commando can be a little drafty for some!

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @Mickey is not a fly by wire guy. :smiley: 

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Mickey said:

Nice recovery Mr. Salado...
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    DMW said:
    That @Mickey guy really does have some problems ... can't work the electronics, can't find or work his Daisy Wheel, can't control temps so he goes Turbo (Temperature Un-Regulated By Operator) all the time, drops the egg on himself so had to get a walker for it, can't figure out which end of the gasket sealer to open so he's going without ... folks even took pity on him and gave him a solid steel grill so he wouldn't screw it up.  What's with him anyway? =)

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Mickey
    Options
    DMW said:

Correct. No wires at all. Sold my DigiQ and gave my PartyQ to Travis.  I only use my Thermapens for temp. No wires ever. 

• Mickey
    Options
    DMW said:
    That @Mickey guy really does have some problems ... can't work the electronics, can't find or work his Daisy Wheel, can't control temps so he goes Turbo (Temperature Un-Regulated By Operator) all the time, drops the egg on himself so had to get a walker for it, can't figure out which end of the gasket sealer to open so he's going without ... folks even took pity on him and gave him a solid steel grill so he wouldn't screw it up.  What's with him anyway? =)
    You forgot that all my friggin pictures are sideways. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    In addition to the three options listed there are at least two others. Nomex with Kevlar and Cotronics. 
    The Cotronics is ceramic fibre and like the fibre glass Rutland is not approved for use near food - possibly not because it is unsafe, more because neither Rutland nor Cotronics have chosen to obtain or provide the approval. Lots of folks with kamados use both these types of gaskets.
    The Nomex and the new Kevlar Nomex are approved for food use but the cost usually incents folks to look for a less expensive option. Many on this forum use the Rutland and RRP is a good source if you elect to use one.  

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If you want Nomex, buy aramid fiber (generic name of Nomex) from McMaster-Carr. Cost is 47¢/foot for 1/8" x 1" x 10 or 50 foot lengths. http://www.mcmaster.com/#aramid/=xiwbm4

I just bought Rutland by the foot from the bulk spool at my local hardware store. At 79¢ a foot, it was cheaper than the Ultra Copper! Getting harder to find stores that have the bulk spools though. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    I just installed a Rutland on my large egg.
    Be sure and check Amazon. The price is good and the Permatex is 1/2 the price compared to the local auto parts place. If you have friends who need a gasket look into buying a whole roll and sharing it.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    be sure to talk to Ron @RRP. He is the go-to guy for sure.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • SteelCitySmoke814
    Options
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the advice!  I got my gasket ordered from @RRP and am ordering the Permatex from Amazon.