Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Married men on here, does your wife support or (roll their eyes) regarding your addiction?

Options

Comments

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    My wife like the food on the egg she wants me to get a mapp torch so it wont take so long to get to tempuerature

Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    Pretty sure I will have the egg a lot longer than this wife. She likes the food that comes off the Egg but is a disagreeable bee-otch otherwise. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    MJG said:
    Pretty sure I will have the egg a lot longer than this wife. She likes the food that comes off the Egg but is a disagreeable bee-otch otherwise. 
     :o 
  • ilwaldens
    ilwaldens Posts: 27
    Options
    I am the wife and the one who does the bulk of the cooking and smoking in this household.  Yes, he rolled his eyes every which way when I said I wanted to add an egg to my outdoor kitchen.  Then again when I said I wanted a table in.  So, we traveled to Georgia to pick up the table (were in illinois).  I got both in April and have been playing on the weekends.  He has accepted it and knows that he will benefit from the fruits of my labor.  =)
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    My awesome wife enjoys the break from cooking.  We raised 5 kiddos and she managed the majority of the meal preps while I worked.  I work a little less now so it's a win-win.  She green lighted an XL yesterday to add to our large and it's on the way.  So stoked!!!  Yup, she's supportive!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    MJG said:

I hope for your sake you are being funny, but I agree with others - HILARIOUS!

Maybe you could look into a warranty claim on the wife....

Phoenix 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    MJG said:
    That is the best post ever!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • mrw123
    mrw123 Posts: 202
    Options
    Lit said:
    My wife loves it. She is vegan and I cook her veggies all the time. I am attempting a vegan Mac and cheese for Memorial Day so she has more than veggies to eat. I have been roasting heads of cauliflower for her and after the first one she said I can buy whatever other smoker I want.
    I'd love your recipe! (As well as that response☺)
  • mrw123
    mrw123 Posts: 202
    Options
      It's my other 2 addictions she frowns on from time to time.  
    Right there with you on that one.
    Agreed! 
  • pipermaru9
    pipermaru9 Posts: 11
    Options
    Mine is coming around....so much so, that she has had me cook for her Doctor employer a few times.....
    Gallant, Alabama      Medium and XL

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Which addiction? Several she yells and screams about. The egging she seems OK with.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • BearQ
    BearQ Posts: 174
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The wife was supportive when I wanted my 1st smoker (Treager) then once I started thinking about another (WSM) she couldn't understand why we needed it. I was dropping the BGE hints for 2 years, she was dead set against a third, said I'd have to sell some before I got another, then when I come into some money I got us a demo Large. Funny things is She has been supportive of each model, only the support is after I get it and she experiences the differences. have yet to tell her about an offset.
    Barrie,Ont.,Canada.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Umm not just support she pays for it all.
    Seattle, WA
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    I'm doing it wrong!  My wife's on year 13 of maternity leave. 

Im an idiot!
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @theyolksonyou ... if you think you're an idiot, listen to this.

When it's just the two of us, my wife doesn't cook breakfast.  When I retired, she informed me that she wasn't planning on doing lunches ... hmmm.  She is the one who wanted the egg ... talked me into it for our anniversary.  Said she used to really love the steaks on our 1970's kamado.  Since she would cook on it occasionally, I had visions of drinking beer and watching her cook.  What a sucker I am, cuz that never happened ... got the egg home and she said "what are you going to cook on your egg." 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    My wife is smart. She doesn't say a word because she knows I'll go rambling through her closet. God only knows how many eggs her shoe and handbag collection would buy...
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    I'm doing it wrong!  My wife's on year 13 of maternity leave. 

Im an idiot!
    Year 6 of stay at home dad , ending soon though my youngest getting close to school age and I'm getting itchy
    Seattle, WA
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @theyolksonyou ... if you think you're an idiot, listen to this.

When it's just the two of us, my wife doesn't cook breakfast.  When I retired, she informed me that she wasn't planning on doing lunches ... hmmm.  She is the one who wanted the egg ... talked me into it for our anniversary.  Said she used to really love the steaks on our 1970's kamado.  Since she would cook on it occasionally, I had visions of drinking beer and watching her cook.  What a sucker I am, cuz that never happened ... got the egg home and she said "what are you going to cook on your egg." 
    Ok. I'm a double idiot!  She doesn't work, or cook....
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @theyolksonyou ... ditto ... but in all honesty, she did work until retirement ... if you can call being a college prof working ... just saying ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options

First egg - no comment, somewhat puzzled.

Second egg - definite eye roll but now more interested.

Third egg - no issue, and plenty of texts ' start the egg'

After reading her @MJG's post - 'I'M SUPPORTIVE!'

That's a keeper in my book.

Sudbury, Ontario
  • MunchkinRedux
    Options
    I am SWMBO, and the Eggs (plural) were my idea.  Early in our marriage, I burned through two Cabelas Sportsman grills and a third hibachi trying to make grilled food for DH.  I grew up with grilled meat, he couldn't stand the taste of lighter fluid.  Inexperienced and uneducated, my results weren't great, and I gave up trying years ago.  When he recently expressed an interest in smoking meats and fish, I had but three words:  Big.Green.Egg.  He researched, and agreed.

We picked a date to make the purchase (reading plenty on this forum, first).  The Saturday of our buying trip, he got up early and banged out a table.  We went and bought the Large and Small together, in one swoop.  

We've been using them 3-4 nights a week since.  I grill and bake; he's an L&S and cold-smoke kinda guy. 

We both love our Eggs.  A picture of them shortly after we got them attached.

• Backyard Mike
    Options
    I could be going to Vegas with a redhead in a Corvette.  Instead I'm cooking dinner. What's not to like?
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    No problem here. I have an Italian wife. 
    DIL is italian, son can do all the cooking on the BBQs, but God help him if he messes around in the kitchen, true Italian household, the kitchen is the woman's domain, men tend the fire and make wine!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Support unless she wants fast food!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    No problem here. I have an Italian wife. 
    DIL is italian, son can do all the cooking on the BBQs, but God help him if he messes around in the kitchen, true Italian household, the kitchen is the woman's domain, men tend the fire and make wine!
    I must have one of those New Age Italian wives. I do all of the cooking.  ;)
  • VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    Options
    My wife definitely enjoys our egg, so do my children and the neighbors. Our stove is rarely used anymore and I hardly cooked before buying our first egg. I know she is happy when she gets home from school and there is a good meal in the works 3-5 days a week. 
    VA Beach
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    @cazzy it is good to have an honest critic. Most of my family and friends think everything that comes of the egg is perfect. Quite honestly I think it's because I do know how to cook and the egg does make it a lot easier. Compared to other lousy grilling and boiled BBQ they get elsewhere, I'm sure it is the best.

That being said, I know everything I turn out has room for improvement, some with more room than others. I know my wife will never BS me just to make me feel good. Too much smoke, overdone, skin not crispy enough, she's an honest sounding board.

It works on the other end too. I, like many of you undoubtedly, enjoy tinkering with technique and recipes. She will give me the line, "This is perfect, just leave it, be done, and move on." Sometimes the enemy of really good is better!!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    She bought the first one.  I bought the next two.  Plenty of purchases she rolls her eyes over that I've made, but not the egg habit.  Well, there was last year's brisket camp....
    Options
    I groveled for a while about getting a BGE and my wife caved in this year. I promised it would kick my game up with amazing food. 

She's now a believer.  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS