Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Major Problem! Help!

Options
LKNEgg
LKNEgg Posts: 339
Sooo.... my dog knocked over......blah blah blah.  =)

Seriously, have some ground beef in the freezer and need some egg ideas besides burgers!

We are doing a spring freezer clean out and have too much ground beef! 

Up for any ideas on the egg.   Weather is supposed to be great so want to be egging all weekend.   Hamburger steak was tonight! 
Large BGE - 2014
FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
Lake Norman area of NC
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I was nearly devastated. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Meatloaf
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    Chili - chili - chili
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Must be an echo in here, huh? but meatloaf, chili, and beef fatties. That all may sound like too much, but how about making some of these and giving them to friends! They MAY just pay you back in spades for your thoughtfulness!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Meatloaf, meatballs, taco meat, stuffed peppers, stuffed mushrooms, sloppy joes. Of all things in a freezer clean out, hamburger is the least of my worries.  There's always something that needs a pound. I'd be more worried about roasts and such. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • LKNEgg
    Options
    @theyolksonyou  Devastated is such a strong word!  

@Billy Grill Eggster   Chili on the egg?  Never heard that before.  Sounds like something to try,

@Jeremiah  Meatloaf sounds easy enough and a L&S cook is in order so I can enjoy the weather and drinks.  

Anyoe have techniques or favorite recipes for egg meatloaf?  
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Be sure to stuff the meatloaf with some mashed taters and bacon weave the meatloaf.  You'll be good to go!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Ooh that's nice! @SmokeyPitt
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • LKNEgg
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt  looks amazing!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC

• LKNEgg
    Options
    Is beef good stuffed in peppers or mushrooms?  Seems like it might be too bland.  Been searching for recipes on the forum, but coming up with limited beef ideas!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Done a few meat loafs on the egg and vacuum sealed for a later date. Awesome way to move some ground beef. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I like the taco idea, nothing like a taco salad. You get to et the bowl. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    The other day I put a cast iron pan in the egg with the ground beef and slow smoked it indirect with hickory and then up't the temp and made chili.  The smoke gave it an additional level of flavor.
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    Dang @SmokeyPitt that looks great.
    +1 to all the above, I love chili or stuffed peppers! That's a great problem to have
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Meatloaf Wellington. 

Thread over....dayum. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Especially as hamburger prices are getting to extreme levels, I wouldn't rush getting rid of it. 5-6 bucks a pound for hamburger around here regular price.  If you would have told me a couple years a go that chicken would be cheaper then hamburger I would have told you to go to the funny farm. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • LKNEgg
    Options
    @Scottborasjr  We can still get ground beef fairly cheap as compared to your area.  Fresh Market offers Tuesday specials with ground chuck at $2.99 lb.

The wife seems to think if it is on sale she is obligated to buy it!  Hence my problem!  

I don't want it to get freezer burned like the filet I had to throw out from the bottom of the freezer!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC

• Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    LKNEgg said:
    Sooo.... my dog knocked over......blah blah blah.  =)

Seriously, have some ground beef in the freezer and need some egg ideas besides burgers!

We are doing a spring freezer clean out and have too much ground beef! 

Up for any ideas on the egg.   Weather is supposed to be great so want to be egging all weekend.   Hamburger steak was tonight! 
    How about Smoked Meatloaf 

Ross
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Meatloaf Wellington. 

Did I miss a thread on this one?  This looks awesome.  What did you use for the crust?

@LKNegg, meatloaf on the egg is so much better than in an oven.  Its a must try.  Meatballs would be good too.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • LKNEgg
    Options
    What do you pair with meatballs?  Spaghetti?
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC

• NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    Shepherds pie, Picadilla, Stroganoff, beef gyros.
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Lasagna!!!!

Little Rock, AR

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,189
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL posted some meatballs in a throw down a while back that looked on time. Speaking of that, when's the next throwdown? 
  • beachsmoke
    beachsmoke Posts: 644
    Options
    Cow lickin chili it was great found on google I don't know how to send link
    Large egg panhandle of florida
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL posted some meatballs in a throw down a while back that looked on time. Speaking of that, when's the next throwdown? 
    Thanks!  Those were made with 3# 75/25 ground beef, 1# ground veal, 1# ground mild sausage + herbs + cheeses. #surfandturfthrowdown
    On the subject of the"next" throwdown.  You'll have to ask the winner of the last Throwdown @shucker
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Thanks all!  Deets on the loaf Wellington here. The crust is puff pastry. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Thanks all!  Deets on the loaf Wellington here. The crust is puff pastry. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Donate to a shelter.
    New Albany, Ohio