Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Injecting Pork butt

Got a gift package with some Cajun Butter that I was thinking of injecting in a BB for this weekend's cook, Have 2 Butts to cook and will do both turbo one regular with bad byrons butt rub and one injected if I get any positive feedback on injecting. Holler at me.

Looked at comments from the past and it was kinda 50/50 on whether injecting makes a difference in taste.

Thanks. 

Opelika, Alabama

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I inject butts, find it works for my set-up. It is not really needed but the added moisture really can't hurt. We almost always do a vinegar dressing, so injecting with juice, sugars and Wooster can only help, IMO. I think more than 1/2 of the injection runs out pretty fast, so do not be afraid to overdo it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    I have gone both ways with injection and since I couldn't tell the difference, I now give it a pass.  However a side-by-side will give good real-time comparison.  Regarding the injection process, there are two camps, before and during the cook (after clearing the stall).  If before, wrap the target meat in a plastic cling wrap and inject thru it-much less mess and easier clean-up.  Enjoy the cook and let us know your results.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    I will inject with an apple juice/butt rub mixture sometimes. Can't tell too much of a difference but maybe a little sweetness but I serve with a spicier sauce. Inject before you rub and it will help it stick and easier clean up. I always forget that. Please post results-- I just inject because the wife gave me a nice injector and it looks cool
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I inject sometimes. I think it does add flavor. If I inject I do it the night before. I try to give it at least 12 hours. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Thanks for the comments guy's...I'm going to give it a shot. The wrap sounds like a good idea. Thinking about injecting the night before with the cajun butter...let me know if I should wait till a short time b/4 I put them on the egg.

Opelika, Alabama
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Deja vous :smiley: 

I guess you didn't try it last time?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Buckdodger
    Deja vous :smiley: 

I guess you didn't try it last time?
    Got talked out of it....will give it a shot, butts are forgiving so I can't lose.

Opelika, Alabama
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited May 2015
    I say go for it.  Butter makes everything better...Cajun spices work with pork...I say you can't loose. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    I always inject mostly because that's how I learned; however, I think it helps add flavor to the finished product.   My injection is pig dust(my rub), apple juice, Apple cider vinegar, and a little water.    Looking forward to seeing the finished product. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Injecting one tonite to put on in the morning at 8. Turbo for 6 hours at 350. First time doing turbo here so I shall see how it goes. I use the creole butter every time. Good luck 
    Brandon, MS
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    I inject broth right before the cook, turns out great. Its not for flavor but moisture. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited May 2015
    I've been injecting butts with peach nectar/rub mix. They come in a six pack of small cans. A can is the perfect amount for a butt. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I've been injecting butts with peach nectar/rub mix. They come in a six pack of small cans. A can is the perfect amount for a butt. 
    Mind telling me more? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    RRP said:
    Mind telling me more? 
    I mix a teaspoon or two of the rub I'm using with a can of Peach Nectar. I was buying a bigger bottle that would go to waste so these cans are a perfect size. 

• Buckdodger
    Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Opelika, Alabama