Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good slaw recipe?

Options
So after a long week at work I'm cooking a pork butt  the w/e and was looking for a good slaw recipe to put on a pulled pork sandwich. I'm not into mayo so maybe one with vinegar???

Any suggestions?

Jamie.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• fergi
    fergi Posts: 138
    Options

This is my favorite. It takes a little more time than others but it's worth it.

Creamy Coleslaw

Ingredients:

1 pound cabbage (about 1/2 medium head), red or green, shredded fine or chopped (6 cups) 

1 large carrot, peeled and grated 

2 teaspoons kosher salt, or 1 teaspoon table salt 

1/2 small onion, minced 

1/2 cup mayonnaise 

2 tablespoons rice vinegar 

Ground black pepper 

Instructions:

1. Toss cabbage and carrots with salt in colander set over medium bowl. Let stand until cabbage wilts, at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.

2. Dump wilted cabbage and carrots into the bowl. Rinse thoroughly in cold water (ice water if serving slaw immediately). Pour vegetables back into colander, pressing, but not squeezing on them to drain. Pat dry with paper towels. (Can be stored in a zipper-lock bag and refrigerated overnight.)

3. Pour cabbage and carrots back again into bowl. Add onions, mayonnaise, and vinegar; toss to coat. Season with pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,519
    edited May 2015
    Options
    my go to recipes for pp rub, sauce and cole slaw since Day 1. no mayo.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm
    canuckland
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Here are three recipes. The first two have mayo, the third does not. I know you said no mayo, but for me, that's just not possible. =) My favorite cole slaw on a Q sandwich is KFC. The mayo is not overbearing, IMO. Tastes more like the real thing (as served in eastern NC) than anything else I've tried. This recipe, from http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/Top-Secret-Recipes.html , is a dead ringer.

KFC Slaw...

Ingredients

½ cup mayo

1/3 cup sugar

¼ cup milk

¼ cup buttermilk

2 ½ tbls lemon juice

1 ½ tbls white vinegar

½ tsp salt

1/8 tsp pepper

8 cups cabbage

¼ cup carrot

2 tbls minced onion

Directions

Mix everything else, then stir in cabbage, carrots and onion

Cover and refrigerate

Skylight Inn Slaw...

This one  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/107966/simple-carolina-slaw-a-10-000-recipe-and-worth-every-cent is supposedly from the Skylight Inn. I made it once, way too sweet for me. But if you like sweet slaw (or cut back on the sugar)...

Ingredients

1 head of firm green cabbage cored,  about 3 1/4 pounds

Granulated Sugar, 1/3 cup per pound, about 1 cup per head

Kraft Mayonnaise, 1 1/2 tablespoons per pound, about 1/4 cup per head 
(Miracle Whip makes it closer to the original)

Yellow Mustard, 1 teaspoon per pound, about 1 tablespoon per head

Table Salt, 1/8 teaspoon per pound.

Directions

The cabbage is cored and then finely ground.
 A food processor works great for this, first with the julienne disk, then a few pulses with the chopping blade.

Combine all of the ingredients in a larger bowl and mix thoroughly. Cover and store in fridge overnight before serving.

Lexington #1 Red Slaw (from Smokin Pig on this forum)... http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1163980/my-attempt-to-re-create-lexington-nc-bbq-and-slaw-at-home/p1

This has no mayo, but it's, you know, RED! =) I haven't tried it yet, but here's his red slaw recipe (more in link above).

Red Slaw

1 cabbage head cored and hand grated or run through a grinder (roughly 2 pounds)

1/2 cup ketchup (Hunts)

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup cider vinegar

1 teaspoon iodized salt

1 teaspoon pepper

1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper

Combine all dry ingredients on the cabbage, mix and let sit 20 minutes. Add the wet ingredients and mix, refrigerate covered for at least one hour before serving. It is best to let it set up overnight.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,956
    Options
    Don't bother with anything that complicated!  Here's one I posted recently:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1178121/ot-easy-great-slaw

Three ingredients.  No mayo.  It's about as easy and as great as it gets.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • clintmiller
    clintmiller Posts: 147
    Options
    Fergi, that's almost the exact same way I make it. Only other thing I do is chop up 1/2 - 1 pound of bacon and mix it in.
  • fergi
    fergi Posts: 138
    Options
    Fergi, that's almost the exact same way I make it. Only other thing I do is chop up 1/2 - 1 pound of bacon and mix it in.

I got that one from America's Test Kitchen. I'll have to try the bacon.

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Pack of slaw mix, sugar, olive oil, red wine vinegar, rub seasoning. Great with pork.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    Options
    These all sound really good!  
    If you are still looking, here is my simple Carolina Slaw for Pulled Pork Sandwiches.  
    • 1 head of cabbage, finely shredded
    • 1 jalapeño, seeds removed & finely chopped
    • 1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
    • 2 carrots, grated
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • ⅔ cup canola oil
    • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
    • 1 teaspoon celery seed
    • 1 cup apple cider vinegar

Combine the shredded cabbage, chopped jalapeño, chopped onions, and grated carrots in a large serving bowl.

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the dressing ingredients, bring to a boil, and simmer until the sugar is dissolved.

Pour the dressing over the vegetables, toss well, cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.

It gets better the longer it sits in the dressing.

I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • TnJed
    TnJed Posts: 118
    Options
    Drool^
    “All normal people love meat … You don’t win friends with salad.” - Homer Simpson
    http://griffinmotors.blogspot.com/
    https://instagram.com/griffin_motors/ 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited May 2015
    Options
    No Mayo - 

Lexington-Style Vinegar Sauce

500ml (2 cups) apple cider vinegar

120ml (1/4 cup) ketchup or tomato sauce

60ml (1/4 cup) packed brown sugar

30ml (2Tbs) sugar

15ml (1Tbs) kosher or sea salt

15ml (1Tbs) ground white pepper

15ml (1Tbs) red chile flakes (will add heat the longer it sits)

1.5ml (1/2tsp) ground black pepper

Mix all ingredients and let sit for 30 minutes or covered in the fridge for weeks. 

Use as dressing for slaw and for finishing pulled pork.

EDIT - from Elizabeth Karmel - Taming the Flame

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Wow guys thanks for all the recipes...i'll have to choose one by tomorrow so it can chill in the fridge for Sunday:)

Oh and Skiddy I love your new Avatar.....go Habs!!!

Jamie.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    The Skylight Inn recipe above is hosed. My apologies. Try this instead...

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/107966/simple-carolina-slaw-a-10-000-recipe-and-worth-every-cent

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited May 2015
    Options
    henapple said:
    Pack of slaw mix, sugar, olive oil, red wine vinegar, rub seasoning. Great with pork.
    I do the same thing and add jalapeno. Sometimes sub olive oil for mayo.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker