Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Did I go to far? Etiquette!

Options
I was shopping buying some ribs on sale. I pick them up then headed to the produce to get salad stuff. I am in the produce section I see a guy with a cart with a print out in his basket of a big green egg recipe. So I started talking to him asking him "What are you cooking" He looked at me as if WTF and he just kinda continued to look at me. So I then said how long you got your egg. I dont know if I startled him or what.

My question is did I go to far? Should I have ignored him when I saw the BGE recipe? What is the Etiquette?

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I would have talked to him as well. I like meeting other eggers when I am out and about. He probably has a KJ instead of an egg anyway. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    Or he might have been a Weber dude, stealing one of our secret recipes...
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Did he know the difference between direct and indirect cooks??  :)  No breach of etiquette in my book.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Not a problem for me - would have loved to talk to some eggers and exchange pointers.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Maybe he was high.
    Was it me he saw at the store!?
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Generally I say if you have to ask, yes. But not in this case. Who knows what the guy had on his mind, lost in thought, etc. 
    I would rather be friendly 100% of the time to people and get rejected part of it than to never be friendly and miss out on all the people who would have been friendly back. 
    Boom
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    His wife probably printed it off and gave it to him to get the ingredients.

He was also probably wondering why a strange man was asking about his eggs.

I generally start off with, "Hey I noticed ____ , and was just wondering _____ because I saw that" .... wait for response.  Then continue conversation with new friend, or knock the jerks cart over and walk off.
    Don't forget to drop the mic.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Really pissed me off when I had to pick all the sh!t up. Jerk face. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @JerseyTex ... your screen name hints that you're a Texan relocated to New Jersey.  If that's so, then you need to forget all you've learned about relating to folks ... don't wave, don't smile, don't make eye contact, don't say hi, don't approach a stranger and act polite.  Yes I know you do that stuff in Texas, but in New Jersey that stuff makes you just plain suspect.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    Also, when in New Jersey remember everyone is unarmed.  That is why they ditched politeness.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    @JerseyTex ... your screen name hints that you're a Texan relocated to New Jersey.  If that's so, then you need to forget all you've learned about relating to folks ... don't wave, don't smile, don't make eye contact, don't say hi, don't approach a stranger and act polite.  Yes I know you do that stuff in Texas, but in New Jersey that stuff makes you just plain suspect.
    Agreed. Anytime I was up that way for work I was amazed at how unfriendly people are. I recall holding a door open for a guy walking into a convenience store just being polite and he looked at me like I was going to rob him.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    No you were not in the wrong, but  I try to talk to everyone.  I haven't met anyone I can't get to talk to me yet.  Maybe next time if you see a flyer, ask them if they have an BGE.  That may help.  I was looking to getting some salmon to cook this winter and the butcher had no clue what He was telling me how to cook it in the oven when I asked that should work on my egg.  I tried to educate him, but he just didn't get it.  The other store I got to there is a butcher there that relates and understands all kinds of BBQ ways.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    His wife probably printed it off and gave it to him to get the ingredients.

He was also probably wondering why a strange man was asking about his eggs.

I generally start off with, "Hey I noticed ____ , and was just wondering _____ because I saw that" .... wait for response.  Then continue conversation with new friend, or knock the jerks cart over and walk off.
    Probably that same guy where his wife asked where everything is for the Mini Max buy....
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    maybe he just doesnt like texans, i see alot of that up here =)=) we dont like anybody
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fredb
    Fredb Posts: 89
    Options
    No breach here as far as I am concerned. Would love someone to approach me that way because that is how I am.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Not at all down south! 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    maybe he just doesnt like texans, i see alot of that up here =)=) we dont like anybody
    Northern New England - where they sell bumper stickers that read "Why is it called tourist season if I can't shoot them?"

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    Maybe he thought you were trying to pick him up. 
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    I am having a bad day at work, office politics stuff and jerk-faces. Thanks so much for making me laugh, I needed this! Another reason I love this forum!

In regards to your question, no you did nothing wrong. Probably caught the guy off guard. My husband, who is from NY, had to be constantly reminded that people are friendly here in Cincy, and when they say 'Hi' and wave to you they are not trying to rob you...just nice people. He gets it now.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Maybe he thought you were trying to pick him up. 
    After he followed the guy to the restroom, the other person probably thought enough is enough.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    I'm lucky.  I have a guy on my team who is also a BBQ fanatic.  We can discuss minutiae for hours.  The teamates just roll their eyes and go back to sampling what we bring in.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options