Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thin crust pizza

Options

Sorry for the crappy photo. 
Been cooking quite a few pizzas lately. Decided to do some thin crust even though we are not big fans of thin crust. Turned out really good. After all the experimenting I have done, the pizzas are far better cooking at 460-475 rather than 600+

Started out a year ago with the standard platesetter and recently using the AR with 13" stone.  The AR is about impossible without burning the crust.
Back to the plate setter and am real happy with consistent results. Friends and family say it is the best pizza they have had so doing something right. Either that or they're lying through their pizza covered teeth.
Seem to be using a lot less lump as well with lower temps. Read a few peoples posts on here saying they were having better results at 450 so thanks to you guys again for posting.  

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Great looking pies... I agree on the lower temp
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Acorn
    Acorn Posts: 163
    Options
    Looks great, nicely done.
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Thanks for posting.  Indirect, 475-500 degrees, very high in the dome is the sweet spot in my LBGE.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    There are various styles of pizzas and different dough recipes. Some are best cooked in the 475-550º range. Some are better cooked at 600º and above.  

Most of the pizzas I see posted on this forum are medium thick crust with a heavy load of toppings. The 475-550º range is fine for this style. A lot of the dough recipes circulating are designed for this temperature range (as are most of the store bought doughs).  The key is to find the right combination of cooking time, temperature, dough recipe, and egg setup for the style you like.  

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I am a big fan of thin crust.

see? LOL

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    I have  cooked hundreds of pizza's on a LBGE, I agree on lower temps in the 450-500 degree range, let the stone preheat one hour and all is good.  I generally cook most about 2-3 inches above felt (rutland) line.  Most of my cooks are thin or very close to thin crusts.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Great looking pizza brother. That last shot of the pepperoni one is just about to starve me to death!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Nice looking pies - pizza is a journey, not a recipe. Find the temp, height in the dome, amount of topping, thickness and moisture in the dough that works for you and life can be beautiful. 
    "Friends and family say it is the best pizza they have had....” there’s the proof!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    Options
    Looks great!  Newbie question, does everyone cook their pizza's with the lid closed or open?  If closed I'm guessing the daisy wheel is removed?  Thank you.
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    RRP said:

see? LOL

Ron man I have been on a quest to find a dough recipe like this. Mind sharing? OP, sorry for mini hijack. Yours look amazing too. I like mine cooked at 500. 

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    YYZegger said:
    Looks great!  Newbie question, does everyone cook their pizza's with the lid closed or open?  If closed I'm guessing the daisy wheel is removed?  Thank you.
    Yes DFMT removed.  Dome closed.  I am lazy and use parchment paper under the pie to slide on and off the stone, idiot proof I call it.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    YYZegger said:
    If cooking a pan crust, <600ºF, DFMT is off, if cooking a thinner crust, <500ºF I often have the DFMT on. MBGE just seems happier that way. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RRP
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    RRP said:

see? LOL

Ron man I have been on a quest to find a dough recipe like this. Mind sharing? OP, sorry for mini hijack. Yours look amazing too. I like mine cooked at 500. 

Rather than to hijack his thread I have sent you a PM.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I use two stones when i cook pizza on the ar. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• tridogdude
    tridogdude Posts: 136
    Options
    @jtcBoynton  I agree on the different dough recipes and adjusting the temps to accommodate these. Seems like the more moisture in the dough lends itself to burn easier which seems odd. 

@RRP @Chubbs  Don't worry about hijacking this thread. No offense taken if you're wanting to give up any secrets. Dough Recipes are always welcome. Good looking thin crust there BTW. 
  • tridogdude
    Options
    @milesvdustin  I never even thought about using two stones. Are you using the spider with an additional stone for going indirect? This will be something that I will have to try. 
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    @RRP:  would very much like your thin crust recipe.  PM or mini-hijack, pls.  Pretty pls.

(That's to take nothing away from @tridogdude; the quality of your cook eclipses the quality of the pix.  I know, bc my mouth is watering.)  

Gracias.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I have started to use tortillas. They make outstanding pizza and real quick for kids as well
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    Options
    @RRP:  would very much like your thin crust recipe.  PM or mini-hijack, pls.  Pretty pls.

(That's to take nothing away from @tridogdude; the quality of your cook eclipses the quality of the pix.  I know, bc my mouth is watering.)  

Gracias.
    you have a pm
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    @tridogdude
    I generally think along the lines of:  high hydration dough / thin crust / high temp / short time. 

That a higher hydration dough burns easier than a lower one does seem odd. Are you sure that the moisture content was the only variable that changed? Cooking temp and time the same? Recipe the same, except for the moisture? Dough thickness the same? Egg warm up the same?  I'm stumped.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• tridogdude
    Options
    @jtcBoynton  Some of it may have to do with warm up time. Sometimes it is 30 minutes and sometimes it is 45 to 60 minutes that the stone is preheating. A lot of that has to do with my wife as she wants me to get the pizzas on there asap so I am not consuming as many beers ;-)  

Still haven't convinced her that the stone needs a good 60 minutes to warm up. She won't start the BGE so I have her at my mercy (in this case always!)
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    RRP, please send me the recipe as well and also, how you manage to get it that thin without making holes in it?  Maybe you should have just hijacked the thread?  The rest of us did it for you :-0
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • RRP
    Options
    GlennM said:
    RRP, please send me the recipe as well and also, how you manage to get it that thin without making holes in it?  Maybe you should have just hijacked the thread?  The rest of us did it for you :-0
    Here you go - see the underscored sentence for the secret...

AZRP’s Thin Pizza Crust

This recipe is courtesy of Randy Price aka AZRP on the Greeneggers forum.

It is quite simple, but tasty and the nice thing is you can roll it thin. In fact my pizza crusts using this are only 3/16” thick!

2 cups bread flour

1 tsp instant yeast

1 T olive oil

2 tsp sugar

2 tsp salt

¾ cup warm water - USE good bottled spring water – NOT tap water

Pre-warm* the water in a bowl in the microwave to 100° to 110° and then add the yeast – NOT VICE VERSA!  Stir well and then add the sugar to proof – let it set for 10 minutes – bubbles should be forming meaning the yeast is alive and well!

Knead ingredients in your mixer for 15 minutes at speed of 2 ONLY.

Let ball of dough rest on counter for 1 hour before placing in an oiled bowl covered with plastic wrap and place in fridge overnight. THIS IS OPTIONAL! – See next line!

Remove dough an hour before you intend to bake it (RRP here: I’ve made my pizzas 3 hours in advance so I’m not sure what difference this makes)

Hint for rolling it thin is to use parchment paper on the bottom and cover with plastic wrap such as Saran Wrap and then roll it thin as you want.

Bake pizza at 500° for 11 minutes with the parchment paper still in place. Remove parchment paper for final 2 minutes of the 11 so as to firm up and brown the crust.

RRP here: This recipe makes enough for a 14” pizza, though I only use 2/3 of it for a 12” pizza and then make bread sticks out of the remaining 1/3.

* 28 seconds at 70%

• jtcBoynton
    Options
    @jtcBoynton  Some of it may have to do with warm up time. Sometimes it is 30 minutes and sometimes it is 45 to 60 minutes that the stone is preheating. A lot of that has to do with my wife as she wants me to get the pizzas on there asap so I am not consuming as many beers ;-)  

Still haven't convinced her that the stone needs a good 60 minutes to warm up. She won't start the BGE so I have her at my mercy (in this case always!)
    The amount of heat transferred from a stone that has been warmed up for 30 minutes can be significantly different than one that has been warmed up for 60 minutes. You should see significant differences in the cooks from these different warm ups.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE