Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket math help

2»

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Looks great!!

Question though...you cooked fat cap up, right?  Did you cut it day cap up too?  I see what looks like lines so just wondering.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Looking good buddy. Nice cook
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    cazzy said:
    Looks great!!

Question though...you cooked fat cap up, right?  Did you cut it day cap up too?  I see what looks like lines so just wondering.  
    Up like franklin then flipped it down and the earth just shook a little.

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    cazzy said:
    Looks great!!

@nolaegghead is right.  I started fat cap up.  Part way through I was unhappy with the bark formation so I flipped fat cap down.  Then I wrapped for the finish.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Looks Really Really great! Lucky guests

LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Since you are an engineer, I would eggspect the details.  All kidding aside, great result.  Home-run right there.  And now you have iearned the secret. Just document and enjoy the next go-round.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    I am experience a hard-core meat coma.  Trying to watch The Hobbit with kids and cannot stay awake.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Nice brisky there!

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    grege345 said:
    Looks Really Really great! Lucky guests

No guests.  Just practice.  I brought some to the neighbors and it was the first time I heard my wife ask why I was giving it away!
  • mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Very nice!  Sounds as good as it looks. 
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Well the kid did good on this cook ... tasted even better than it looked.  Although, it was only a small piece he left in the fridge for me ... a bigger piece probably would have tasted even better.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Gonna have burnt ends tonight with what is left of the point.  Which isn't much.
  • Jeepster47
    Those would be a nice treat tomorrow evening ...

• SGH said:
    Just to be clear, the end product will taste the same no matter which way you turn the fat cap. I just can hit the look much easier with the fat cap down. 
    I tend to approach it the same way, even with pork butts.  If I put the cap down, I get more meat with bark that I don't have to trim away that isn't coated in drippings.  It's entirely a visual presentation thing, but I like to have good looking meat....  It makes the wife happy...  ;-)
    Large Green Egg

Kansas City, KS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    @Jeepster47 to bad you don't want to visit your grandkids.....

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Niiiiiice!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Just to go contrarian-you need to inhale the point and then if you have anything left (flat?) do a head-fake burnt ends or save for something else.  I will offer up the entire flat to save the point-but what do I know-not from Texas and have several other disclaimers :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    @Jeepster47 to bad you don't want to visit your grandkids.....

:rofl: 
  • Jeepster47
    @theyolksonyou ... what he's not telling you is that their household happens to be a big petri dish right now.  I've needed to stay non-sick this past week, so he's being extra mean with the teasing.  That's okay, I'll get even ...

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    @Jeepster47 we have both sets of grandparents within 15 min drive and we're on the way home for the in laws. We see grandparents A LOT. So that's funny to me. I don't know you guys, but gather you're nearby. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    We have all been on antibiotics.  No longer contagious.

Plus they don't call them snot nosed for nothing.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    lousubcap said:
    Just to go contrarian-you need to inhale the point and then if you have anything left (flat?) do a head-fake burnt ends or save for something else.  I will offer up the entire flat to save the point-but what do I know-not from Texas and have several other disclaimers :)
    Usually I would agree, but this flat was out of sight.

The point was actually to fattie.  Enough of the fat did not render out.  Next time I will trim more on the point.
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Congrats!  Looks awesome.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • bump
    large small and mini all in legal proceedings but i can use them for now no more, all gone                                                                                                                        usa somewhere on the road
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    I'd say cook at 225F and put it on at 2:30 am ... and you're eating window will be around 3 pm to 4 pm.  Likely 11h cook, plus some time to wrap, plus up to 2h towel wrapped in cooler.  When it hits 160F (or whenever you hit the stall) wrap it.  That should take about 2/3rds of the time.  So here's what I figure ... 2:30am on ... at around 9:30 am (just before you leave for baseball) you'll wrap.  At around 1:30 pm to 2 pm you'll take it off (so right after you get back from baseball). Then in a cooler for 2 hours or so towel wrapped.  Eating at 3 pm - 4 pm latest.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • I'd say cook at 225F and put it on at 2:30 am ... and you're eating window will be around 3 pm to 4 pm.  Likely 11h cook, plus some time to wrap, plus up to 2h towel wrapped in cooler.  When it hits 160F (or whenever you hit the stall) wrap it.  That should take about 2/3rds of the time.  So here's what I figure ... 2:30am on ... at around 9:30 am (just before you leave for baseball) you'll wrap.  At around 1:30 pm to 2 pm you'll take it off (so right after you get back from baseball). Then in a cooler for 2 hours or so towel wrapped.  Eating at 3 pm - 4 pm latest.
    I'd like to think this one was cooked, somewhere in the vicinity of 6 years ago.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DainW
    DainW Posts: 159
    edited February 2021
    I enjoyed reading this. It’s interesting to see how the conventional wisdom regarding brisket cooks has evolved over the years on this forum. I would be interested to see the responses, even from some of the same folks today to this same post. I would imagine it would be more along the lines of put the brisket on at 8-9 the night before if you want to eat at 3, plan on 12-15 hours cook time and allow an FTC window of 2-6 hours.  

By the way I don’t know about everyone else, but my briskets are taking a lot longer than 12 hours lately and if I cooked one at 225 it might take a day and a half lol. The last couple briskets I’ve done have gone 14 and 17 hours respectively. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Tom Hanks Forrest Gump GIF - TomHanks ForrestGump Wave - Discover
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    🦨