Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Home Theater Projector Opinion

Ladeback69
Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
OK, this is my second thread about home theater projectors.  The 4K is out, because I can't afford it or justify it.  I have it kind of narrowed down to about 6 projectors, but can't decide.  I want the projector mostly for a dedicated home theater room, but may also at times want to use it out in my back yard to watch movies.  SWMBO would like me to spend as little as possible and under $1000, but the ones I think are the best to get are just a little over that.   My current screen is 120" diagonal, but I think I could go bigger in the room I am designing.  The room dimensions are; 17'x22'x9', this will be in my basement that is currently unfinished.  I think I could go up to 180" and use the 120" for watching movies outside, but going to 180" would limit how many seats I could have.  It would basically be one row of 6, going with 120" to 134" would get me 2 rows of seating for 10 maybe 12.  Right now think I will just building one wall to mount the screen on and use in wall front speakers for a clean look.  I could add more walls as I save up money to do so.  It will be dark and I was told its more important to have a higher contrast ratio then lumens rating.  What are you thought's?  Here are the ones I am looking at getting.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/parts_compare.cfm?pid_1=7170&pid_2=7795&pid_3=8302&pid_4=8386&pid_5=8397&pid_6=8403
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    This is a very very deep rabbit hole you are heading down (fun and worth it, but deep none the less.)

I recommend you check out this area on AVS forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/#/forumsite/3207/forums/9
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • baywulf
    baywulf Posts: 12
    I went through this approximately 6 months ago, and ultimately tried out both the Epson 3000 and 3020.  In the end I went with the 3020, as I felt it was a bit quieter and seemed to have a better focus for a 120" screen.  I have not regretted the purchase at all, and still feel it was well worth it. 
  • Ladeback69
    This is a very very deep rabbit hole you are heading down (fun and worth it, but deep none the less.)

I have been on this site before, but find it very confessing for what I am trying to find out.  I did a search and the are very big on DLP, but I am not.  The only reason I am looking at Optoma is my brother-n-law has one and said he has had good luck with it.  I know the BenQ 1070 is a good price, it just has a really low contrast ratio.  I will look the forum over more and see what I can find.  I really like the Epson 3020 or 5030 the most.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69

baywulf said:
    I went through this approximately 6 months ago, and ultimately tried out both the Epson 3000 and 3020.  In the end I went with the 3020, as I felt it was a bit quieter and seemed to have a better focus for a 120" screen.  I have not regretted the purchase at all, and still feel it was well worth it. 
    I am leaning toward the 3020, just have to sell the wife on it.  It does come with 2 pairs of 3D glasses so that is a plus.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    I am not one for helping a person maintain a budget on AV equipement.  Much like an Egg get the best you can afford.

Also do not forget about the screen.  A high quality screen is a must for a projector.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ladeback69
    I am not one for helping a person maintain a budget on AV equipement.  Much like an Egg get the best you can afford.

Also do not forget about the screen.  A high quality screen is a must for a projector.
    I agree on the screen, but my wife doesn't understand or care.  We wouldn't a 60" TV if for me wanting one 8 years ago.  I have an Elite screen from Amazon for under $400 and she questioned that years ago when I got it to use with my barrow 720 projector from my in-laws.  They asked for back a few years ago so I have been without, although she said I could upgrade if I kept it under $1000.  She's not going to like it either when I want to upgrade to another HD receiver.  That's another bridge to cross.  What I would like is an Epson 5030, Stewart screen, integra 7.2 receiver and some more Klipsch speakers to replace the ones I am using in my leaving room.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @cazzy just built a home theater.  He does his due diligence.
    @cazzy just built a home theater.  He does his due diligence.
    Yes, I know we have communicated about this a little in the past.  I have been looking at getting a 1080p projector for a long time, but not as long as I waited to get an Egg though.  That was about 20 years.  I think once we get the tax refunds back I might be able to get one.  will see.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Is 3d important to you?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    I still use a 1080i projector on a 14ft screen that is 7 years old looks amazing. I can't imagine what some of the new projectors look like.
    Aurora,OH
  • cazzy
    I would research the following models:

Epson 8345
    BenQ W1070

Both are under a grand and both are positively reviewed by many.  The Epson doesn't have 3D, but it's a great performer with an awesome pic.  The BenQ is regarded as one of the "best bang for your buck" projectors on the market.
  • Ladeback69
    edited April 2015
    cazzy said:
    I would research the following models:

Epson 8345
    BenQ W1070

Both are under a grand and both are positively reviewed by many.  The Epson doesn't have 3D, but it's a great performer with an awesome pic.  The BenQ is regarded as one of the "best bang for your buck" projectors on the market.
    Yes, if I am getting a new projector I want 3D.  The Epson 2030, 3020 and 5030 all are 3D.  The 3020 comes with 2 pairs of 3D glasses.  Now the 8350 or 8345 are not 3D.  I have looked at the BenQ W1070, it is 2000 lumens and a contrast ratio of 10,000:1and is $679 on Amazon, the Epson 2030 has a contrast ratio of 15,000:1 and 2000 lumens and is $759 on Amazon and the Optoma HD26 has a contrast ratio of 25,000:1 and 3200 lumens and is $679.  I guess for the money and performance I should go with the Optoma, but I have never had a DLP and wonder is if anyone in my family will have issues with the color shifting people talk about or not.  I guess I could get it and try it and if it does, get the Epson because it is an LCD.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • cazzy

I couldn't agree more.  A screen is equivalent to glass for a camera.  Also ensure you get the right gain for your room, projector and throw.
  • cazzy

I couldn't agree more.  A screen is equivalent to glass for a camera.  Also ensure you get the right gain for your room, projector and throw.
  • Ladeback69

I tired to register on the forum, but they say I am sending spam, but I am just trying to register.  I am not going to pay to be one the forum, that's probably what they want.

I agree about the screen, but my other half doesn't understand.  I know I will have will be a lot better then the 8 year old 60" rear projection we have, but that doesn't mean anything to her.  I'm lucky I was able to get the screen I have.  She wanted me to just paint the wall and show it on it,  I believe I have narrowed it down to the Optoma HD26 as to what I will get after our tax returns are in.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • cazzy

I tired to register on the forum, but they say I am sending spam, but I am just trying to register.  I am not going to pay to be one the forum, that's probably what they want.

I agree about the screen, but my other half doesn't understand.  I know I will have will be a lot better then the 8 year old 60" rear projection we have, but that doesn't mean anything to her.  I'm lucky I was able to get the screen I have.  She wanted me to just paint the wall and show it on it,  I believe I have narrowed it down to the Optoma HD26 as to what I will get after our tax returns are in.
    I'd personally go with an Epson over an Optoma.  The colors are pretty spot on with Epson projectors.

Is your room light controlled?  What is your throw going to be?  Will you be painting your room dark?  What color is the flooring?

For reference, my projector is 1,500 lumens, my screen is 115", my gain is 1.3 and my throw is 13 feet.

Also...you don't need to pay a fee to going AVS.  Try registering with a different browser.

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    I haven't tried to post a pic since the site changed.  But here is my 7,2 system.klipsch speakers.  3 in front of the TV and 6 down the sides of the theater.  2 subs all recessed. Berkline chairs, 3 in the front and 2 in the back on a 8 inch riser. Here goes the pic try.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Ok I can't freeking figure it out.....but If you want me to email you the pic's I will....I also have a small tv over the bar so we can watch 2 games at once...let me know

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    We built a dedicated HT about 5 years ago, and it's my favorite room of the house (next to the spot next to my 'Eggs')!

It's around 22 x 16, has a 8' 16:9 screen, 3D projection (Sony), tiered leather seating, acoustic treatments and a TON of what I lovingly refer to as "fussy engineering" (including rubber bumpers on the studs to isolate the bass) to keep the sound IN the theater as opposed to the rest of the house.

I spent more time building this room than my house.  (Not kidding).

To do this RIGHT, you need to visit AVSForum - specifically the "dedicated HT thread" at:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/

Someone upthread mentioned "rabbit hole".  That's a mild way of putting it as this easily consumed 18 months of my life.

In terms of gear - I looked at the Epson PJs and decided Sony was the way to go - partly because I had an ancient VPL-VW10HT (REALLY old 720P PJ) and liked it..

The new Sony (which I 'think' is a VPL-VW40ES SXRD) blows it away.

I have a SMX screen which is Accoustically Transparent.  You definitely will want to check into this as an option if you can, even tho it looks like you already have a screen.  Putting the front mains and center speakers BEHIND the screen is really the way to go.  I buried my surrounds and rears in pillars that we constructed to hold them.

You really want to pay a LOT of attention to viewing angle, height of seating, etc.  AVSForum can help with all of that.  (They have a very handy calculator that saved us - you say how high your screen is, height of your seating, etc - and it calculates seating distance, height, etc).  We NEVER would have gotten that right without it.

Our HT also has a DefTech 7.1 system driven by a Denon AVR.  Definitely pay attention to the sound.  I can't TELL YOU how important this is.  (OMG, our sound ROCKS!!  Far better than any commercial theater!) And get it setup professionally if you can.  I had a guy who does sound setup for Hollywood Studios tune ours.  I can't begin to describe how much of a difference "pro" calibration of your PJ and AVR will make.  $300 VERY well spent.

Let us know when you get this all going - which could realistically and reasonably be a year or two out.

Cheers..

- S
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • SmokyBear
    PS: You're gonna need a TON of lumens to drive a 180'' screen.   That's not going to give you a nice picture short of a $20K - $50K PJ.

IIRC (not sure on the #s at the moment), you're going to have a LOT better image at around 110'' max.  I "think" that's what an 8' screen maps out to but can't find the calculation at the moment.
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • SmokyBear
    Also - the suggestion upthread to spend a lot of time on AVSForum is a good one.  It's like the BGEForum for AV enthusiasts, and will answer all of your questions - plus things you haven't even thought about yet.
  • cazzy
    SmokyBear said:
    We built a dedicated HT about 5 years ago, and it's my favorite room of the house (next to the spot next to my 'Eggs')!

It's around 22 x 16, has a 8' 16:9 screen, 3D projection (Sony), tiered leather seating, acoustic treatments and a TON of what I lovingly refer to as "fussy engineering" (including rubber bumpers on the studs to isolate the bass) to keep the sound IN the theater as opposed to the rest of the house.

I spent more time building this room than my house.  (Not kidding).

To do this RIGHT, you need to visit AVSForum - specifically the "dedicated HT thread" at:

Someone upthread mentioned "rabbit hole".  That's a mild way of putting it as this easily consumed 18 months of my life.

In terms of gear - I looked at the Epson PJs and decided Sony was the way to go - partly because I had an ancient VPL-VW10HT (REALLY old 720P PJ) and liked it..

The new Sony (which I 'think' is a VPL-VW40ES SXRD) blows it away.

I have a SMX screen which is Accoustically Transparent.  You definitely will want to check into this as an option if you can, even tho it looks like you already have a screen.  Putting the front mains and center speakers BEHIND the screen is really the way to go.  I buried my surrounds and rears in pillars that we constructed to hold them.

You really want to pay a LOT of attention to viewing angle, height of seating, etc.  AVSForum can help with all of that.  (They have a very handy calculator that saved us - you say how high your screen is, height of your seating, etc - and it calculates seating distance, height, etc).  We NEVER would have gotten that right without it.

Our HT also has a DefTech 7.1 system driven by a Denon AVR.  Definitely pay attention to the sound.  I can't TELL YOU how important this is.  (OMG, our sound ROCKS!!  Far better than any commercial theater!) And get it setup professionally if you can.  I had a guy who does sound setup for Hollywood Studios tune ours.  I can't begin to describe how much of a difference "pro" calibration of your PJ and AVR will make.  $300 VERY well spent.

Let us know when you get this all going - which could realistically and reasonably be a year or two out.

Cheers..

- S
    Any pictures of your set-up?

I agree...Even though I have a 4K projector, most are blown away by the sound.  I'm running a 11.1/7.1.4 ( Dolby Atmos) config so it's incredibly immersive and blows away any theater I've been to.

AVS is legit....forum and sales.  Got a great price on my Stewart screen.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    There are other on here much more knowledgeable in this area than I however, In my opinion sound is what draws you in.  You might, initially, be amazed by the picture definition at first but after awhile it gets lost.  The sound will keep amazing you.  Check out SVS subs- great for the $.  Also agree with above- I have some def techs and denon and they are great.  But really love my B&W speakers- 
    Greensboro, NC
  • SmokyBear
    edited April 2015
    Will try to take some pics over the next few days of the HT.  We really love it, but I'll admit we went a bit crazy in building it out also.  Unfortunately, the "best" of it is not something you can see (acoustic treatments, sound isolation, etc).  That's quite candidly where the "building it 'right'" part comes in, and where you'll easily spend the most time and $$s.

What's awesome is we can crank a movie or concert to super-max and not hear it on the floor above, let alone two stories up (bedroom).  That, and the amazing clarity of the sound and stunning picture on the 8' screen.  It is truly an "immersive" experience all around, and we haven't set foot in a theater since we built it, as our room blows away the highest end theaters in the area..
  • SmokyBear
    edited April 2015
    PS: On subs - check out HSU.  I bought two thinking I'd need them.  WRONG!  One is enough to blow us out of the water and thoroughly rattle the sound-isolated and sound-protected walls and everything for 20' around.  (Anyone want to buy an extra HSU sub)?  :)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I love my Emotiva gear.  Really want to build some custom speakers.  I have Klipsch RB-81s now.  Love them, but also like to build.
    I love my Emotiva gear.  Really want to build some custom speakers.  I have Klipsch RB-81s now.  Love them, but also like to build.
    I have a Emotiva amp driving me mains.  Love it!  Great build quality and fair pricing.
  • Ladeback69
    cazzy said:

I'd personally go with an Epson over an Optoma.  The colors are pretty spot on with Epson projectors.

Is your room light controlled?  What is your throw going to be?  Will you be painting your room dark?  What color is the flooring?

For reference, my projector is 1,500 lumens, my screen is 115", my gain is 1.3 and my throw is 13 feet.

Also...you don't need to pay a fee to going AVS.  Try registering with a different browser.

My basement is currently unfinished, but the area I am going to build will have no windows and the only light will be from the ones in the ceiling that I plan on controlling with a IR Lutron switch to dim the lights when the movie starts.  I have yet to build the walls and soundproof anything.  I guess I should do that first.  As for flooring it will be a dark carpet that will not reflect the light mush, I hope.  I am thinking a dark red for the walls with flat paint so as not to reflect light.  I a set of Klipsch 3-way speaker that I want to build into the wall so the blend in and will be either using my current KPS-400 and center for the front speakers or install in-wall speakers and get another 12" sub to go along with one I around have.  I will also add Klipsch speaker is the ceiling for 7.2 surround.  I have a Integra DRT-40.2 that I will be using for controlling the equipment and sound and will be using the preamp set up and pushing 200 watts to each speaker except the subs.  They will get 300 watts.  I  plan to pre-wire of course with a high grade speaker wire, but may use coax for the subs.  I read it is good for the lower frequencies.  

I plan on having 2 levels of seating and will be building a platform at to back of the room for the second row of seats.  My screen is around 120" diagonal and will set up the project mount based on what throw I need to fill the screen.  If I go with the Epson 2030 the throw will be about 12'-8" and my screen's gain is 1.1.

I see on the AVS website they mostly prefer the BenQ W1070 over the Epson's, but it sounds like the W1070 isn't true 3D either.  I don't know if I suffer from the rainbow affect from DLP, but I really don't want to take that chance I guess.  I know a lot of higher home theater installers don't care for the W1070 and I sent an email to a local company that may be selling the W1070 so I can take look at it.  It is cheaper and if I don't have an issue with the rainbow affect I may get it.

Thanks for you help and sorry for being so wordy.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SmokyBear
    If you're going to build a dedicated room, DEFINITELY check out the "dedicated HT thread" that I posted above.  There are a ton of things to be aware of..

I started off just like it sounds like you're doing - thought I just needed to put up some walls, do some paint, etc.  Then I read about all the guys that did that and tore down v1.0 of their HTs only to rebuild, once they started having weird sound reflections from the drywall, the lights rattling from the bass, etc.

Here's the dedicated room thread on AVS.  You shouldn't have to register to read it, and registration is "free" anyway..

• Ladeback69
    SmokyBear said:
    If you're going to build a dedicated room, DEFINITELY check out the "dedicated HT thread" that I posted above.  There are a ton of things to be aware of..

I started off just like it sounds like you're doing - thought I just needed to put up some walls, do some paint, etc.  Then I read about all the guys that did that and tore down v1.0 of their HTs only to rebuild, once they started having weird sound reflections from the drywall, the lights rattling from the bass, etc.

Here's the dedicated room thread on AVS.  You shouldn't have to register to read it, and registration is "free" anyway..

@SmokyBear, I seen that and will check it out.  I planned on soundproofing the room with Roxal and us the soundproofing caulk around outlets, light fixtues, and furnace duct runs.  I may go with QuiteRock or one of the soundproofing sheet rock systems.  I know the bass is the hard one to control and that needs to taken care of.  I also understand that sound treatments my need to go into the room to help out too.  I no this is not a quick thing to happen so I most do a lot of reading to figure it out.  I talked to a guy about helping me finish my basement and he wanted to use metal studs and I don't think I will do that in the HT area.  I don't need any more metal to deal with.  Thanks for the help.

Kansas City, Mo.