Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Devastated

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Congress is a failure.

Finally, something I agree with....

I'm starting to wish I had the willpower to ignore the little yellow box
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2014/05/21/the-gop-and-veterans-its-complicated/

I hate both sides of the aisle so FTW. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Repeal pragmatic minimum standards for children's education based on the skill set needed for higher education.   And replace by ???  That makes sense.  Oh, crikey its a federal program!  Do away with it!  It rises standards, are kids ain't gonna graddate with dat crapola!  Weel jus hire moar engineers and doctors from countries with better edjukation!!!
    I'm just glad you guys are so damn tolerant. I'd hate to see how you disagree with someone otherwise. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I know several teachers...my daughter being one...they hate that sh+t. It's stupid.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    DMW said:
    I just made $200/hour. My flight was overbooked so I took a $600 voucher to arrive 3 hours late.

We are planning to fly this airline anyway this summer. This means direct flights for the family instead of layovers. Woo hoo!

Just thought I would share some good news on this thread of depression, err devastation.
    I hope you feel guilty as hell about this.  There are good people in this country that cannot afford to fly and therefore are shut out of opportunities like this to make $200/hour.  Forget increasing minimum wage or the cutoff for overtime - we should be ensuring everyone gets one airline ticket per year so they have the opportunity to be overbooked.

And about that free bbq you got from Amazon, you know, not everyone can afford to order lump over the internet...
  • henapple
    Love common core....
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited April 2015
    henapple said:
    I know several teachers...my daughter being one...they hate that sh+t. It's stupid.
    My dad is a teacher. He hates it because of parents who are morons and think school is a daycare complain that little Johnny and Sally don't understand it. The parents don't have the wherewithall to help their kids with schoolwork and it's NEVER the kid's fault for being a dumbass. Ignorance breeds fear.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    henapple said:
    I know a whole lot more who hate No Child Left Behind.  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    henapple said:
    It's been politicized the last few years but some teachers don't like it because they don't want their pay to be tied to how their students test.  Also, the organization that makes the tests has a monopoly, a racket like the text book publishers have.  And some states want to control the curriculum like Texas (not common core).  http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2014/09/12/proposed-texas-textbooks-are-inaccurate-biased-and-politicized-new-report-finds/

Basically we're talking about standards for college prep.  Rather than try to improve it, some states are just getting rid of it.  I don't care either way.

henapple said:
    My dad is a teacher. He hates it because of parents who are morons and think school is a daycare complain that little Johnny and Sally don't understand it. The parents don't have the wherewithall to help their kids with schoolwork and it's NEVER the kid's fault for being a dumbass. Ignorance breeds fear.
    So Im an **** because I have to learn the new way too? How bout when I look at his math and ask why not just do it this way? His reply is the teacher explained it this way and to do these steps to get the answer. My reply is I dont know that way I learned it a different way. Of course the way I learned  makes sense to me but confuses him. So not to step on the toes of the teacher and further confuse my son I stay out of it and let the teachers do what they get paid to do. Teach! So you can go **** yourself and tell your dad if he wants me to help do his job maybe he can help me with bridge footings this weekend. So sick of this fuckin thread
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That is so beautiful I think I might just cry....
    Acn said:
    Acn said:

Okay, I know Snow White, Belle, and Cinderella, but who's the chic with the unibrow?
    Frida Kahlo.
    I thought she was Anthony Davis' sister. @nolaegghead, please confirm???
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Acn said:
    henapple said:
    I know a whole lot more who hate No Child Left Behind.  
    Wasn't it Michael Jackson who came up with his own education plan before he burned in on that Propofol bender???  He called it, "No Child's Behind Left Alone"
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • henapple
    @greg345 .... why are you reading it? It's not like Obama where he forces you to do something he wants. 
    If you like common core...teach your kids that. This country isn't behind because of math styles...it's behind because there's no one at home sticking their foot up the kid's ass. No one helping, leading and demanding. 
    Evidently it takes more time to memorize 5x3 than to go through a 5 step progression. Smfh.
  • theyolksonyou
    I think @greg345 is saying the way they teach simple math is **** stupid and if you try to teach your kid the simple way to do the same problem the teachers get pissed. I've had the same problem. I'm an engineer by training and some of the crap my two boys come home with is unbelievably complicated. 3rd and 7th grade. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    =) DMW said:
    I just made $200/hour. My flight was overbooked so I took a $600 voucher to arrive 3 hours late.

We are planning to fly this airline anyway this summer. This means direct flights for the family instead of layovers. Woo hoo!

Just thought I would share some good news on this thread of depression, err devastation.
    $200 an hour to drink, my kinda gig. Someone owes me millions.  =)
    Jacksonville FL
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    @grege345 I'm quite devastated by your response.  Don't be done with this thread...it's just getting good and my popcorn is hot!!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Eggcelsior
    grege345 said:
    henapple said:
    So Im an **** because I have to learn the new way too? How bout when I look at his math and ask why not just do it this way? His reply is the teacher explained it this way and to do these steps to get the answer. My reply is I dont know that way I learned it a different way. Of course the way I learned  makes sense to me but confuses him. So not to step on the toes of the teacher and further confuse my son I stay out of it and let the teachers do what they get paid to do. Teach! So you can go **** yourself and tell your dad if he wants me to help do his job maybe he can help me with bridge footings this weekend. So sick of this fuckin thread
    Thank you for proving my point.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    I think @greg345 is saying the way they teach simple math is **** stupid and if you try to teach your kid the simple way to do the same problem the teachers get pissed. I've had the same problem. I'm an engineer by training and some of the crap my two boys come home with is unbelievably complicated. 3rd and 7th grade. 
    Yes. Did that not come across? My neighbor is also an engineer and cannot help his son who struggles with math. His hands are tied. He has been  scolded by a 24yr old twice. Im no engineer but I am smart enough to know when to step aside and let someone who knows their job , do their job.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Wading in to shark infested waters-standards for education are a good thing when applied in the right way.  (Now that opener may disqualify Common Core and No Child Left Behind as I have been out of the game (as a student for many years)).  However, I grew up in rural upstate New York.  The only common denominator amongst all the college applicants beyond the SAT was the State Regents exams in many high school courses.  
    Do well on those and you could help level the playing field.  BTW some 50 years ago, companies were publishing review books with old tests in the subjects.  Not unlike today.  The pressure to make sure you hit target goals was clearly not reflected back on the students by the teachers. 
    And the bonus-you could be flunking the course all year-pass the Regents exam and you pass the course.  
    But that was then and this is now-standards are a good thing-how you use them may need work.  Off the soap box.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Just landed in DC to find out my flight to PHL (last one tonight) has been cancelled. So I have another email that I've been booked on the 6:30AM flight in the morning. Now to see a gate agent and see what other vouchers I can get. I'm thinking hotel and meal and another airline voucher would make me a satisified customer.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Legume
    LOL, is there a special class in engineering school where they teach you to constantly self-identify as an engineer?
  • theyolksonyou
    Yep. It's freshman level. IMMAENG1001

My point is I'm pretty damn good at math. 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    grege345 said:
    henapple said:
    Thank you for proving my point.
    You gotta be kidding me Florence Nightingale. I'm sure any response by me would have prompted the same response by you. My son is plenty wrong and I always take the teachers side. Not because I want to but because its the structure of it all I still agree with. The teacher is the boss. If she says he's not pulling his weight I side with the teacher. End of story. If you think I'm one of "those" parents why don't you further explain "those" Cuz I'm not seeing it. I don't judge you or your hospital corners so don't judge me. Douche

• henapple
    The point is dylan...teach your kids common core but everyone doesn't agree. 
  • theyolksonyou
    henapple said:
    The point is dylan...teach your kids common core but everyone doesn't agree. 
    Heaven forbid, all us disagreeing fools....
  • Legume
    Yep. It's freshman level. IMMAENG1001

My point is I'm pretty damn good at math. 

I knew what you meant, no harm intended.  I've got lots of friends that are engineers, just something I've noticed for years that's kind of funny and unique to engineers.
  • theyolksonyou
    @legume no problem. I didn't take it badly. We're a special breed of nerds. Plus, it's just the interwebs, why get upset?
  • Eggcelsior
    edited April 2015
    You folks are taking things waaaaay too serious.