Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sam's Club Zero Warranty Eggs

Options

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

Honestly....BGE doesn't know if you get it from an authorized dealer or not.  I just registered a new egg and online it just asked if you bought it from an authorized dealer...click yes! and it doesn't matter where you got it..its registered. 

your title should more read like..when will BGE crack down on their warranties

Until you go to use the warranty and you have to produce the receipt.  The dealers have to email a picture or the damage and the receipt on which it is purchased.
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    Damn... I better start working out and cut the junk food out of my diet to get the most out of that lifetime warranty...

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    Zmokin said:

OK, so it should be fully warranted for the lifetime of the product?  Is that 100 years, 1000 years, 1 million years, or until the sun goes nova and life on this planet is no longer viable.  I understand it sucks for your heir's  if you die the day after you buy a lifetime warranty product, but the company warrants it for your life while you own it.  They are basing this on the average expected life of their consumers.  yes, if they sell it to a 20 year old who keeps it and lives to be 100, it is an 80 year warranty they have to honor, but that is on the extreme end of the scale.  Most egg owners are probably 30+ years old when they feel they can afford to buy a $1000 BBQ and on average they won't live past 80.  Just like the consumable brake pads I bought, Autozone provides that warranty based on the expectation the vast majority of their customers may exercise that free replacement once before they either sell the car, or the car ends up at the junkyard.  On occasion, they encounter someone like me that owns a car for > 20 years and works on it instead of taking it into a shop.  They may lose money on me honoring that warranty, but on the vast majority of their customers, they do not.  Most people don't own their vehicles past 5 years, 10 at the high side, whether they buy them brand new or used.  I happen to own a 1992 & 1994 car that are both in excellent condition.  I know I'm not normal, and financially, it is to my benefit not being normal.  But I don't expect the quality built into a Honda product means Honda should warrant my cars for the life of me or my car.  I don't expect BGE to warrant my egg past my death so my son can get free replacement fire rings for the rest of his life or his grandchildren.  The lifetime warranty has to have an expiration date.  To expect otherwise is not reasonable.

Yes and no. 

You didn't buy a Honda with the expectation of a lifetime warranty on anything, it was a 3yr/36000 mile most likely.  You expect it to live much longer than that, but definitely not forever.  Up until the 80's you were lucky to get 100K miles or more than a couple years out of a car.  Now 100K is still "low miles" in a used car ad......the expectation is that it will last for X amount of years/miles.

When you buy something that's pretty much made out of sand and has no moving parts, why wouldn't you expect it to last forever?

Sure AutoZone is losing money on brake pads for you, but they're hoping you come back and buy other stuff because they're being so nice to you.  Costco is the same way.  If they lose $150 on my patio heater, big deal since I spend $10,000 a year there.

I just don't like companies using warranties as marketing ploys vs. true service.  Just like in Tommy Boy, "...all they did was sell you a guaranteed POS."  Then they give you a lifetime warranty betting you forget about it, lose the receipt, or even better, die, before you ever have to use it.  If you're that proud of your product's quality, stand behind it no matter who owns it.  Don't cover negligence, standard wear and tear, stupidity, etc, but cover the workmanship and materials.

What if I put a "Limited Lifetime Warranty" on a bag of Rockwood?  Sounds like a great idea.  Read the fine print, you can't light it on fire.  LOL.

• stlcharcoal
    Options

Honestly....BGE doesn't know if you get it from an authorized dealer or not.  I just registered a new egg and online it just asked if you bought it from an authorized dealer...click yes! and it doesn't matter where you got it..its registered. 

Until you go to use the warranty and you have to produce the receipt.  The dealers have to email a picture or the damage and the receipt on which it is purchased.

Ive had two warranty claims so far.  Both of my eggs were bought at a Ace Hardware store in Colorado Springs, CO.  They didn't keep record of sales for BGE's and/or they lost it.  I didn't have my receipt either.  I took pictures and got all the info from the dealer so BGE could verify if they wanted to.  I called BGE..and Wa-Blam-O they didn't want any proof of purchase.  They showed that I registered it online and that was "good enough" They sent my base(1 claim) and a platesetter(other claim) to my nearest dealer in Florida.

Now that I live somewhat near the Mothership, I asked them about doing warranties directly.  Which they do.  All you have to do is bring your broken bits to the mothership and they will replace it right there..again no proof of purchase...just make sure its registered online

Cool......glad it worked out.  But that was not my experience or the experience of some others here on the forum.  It all comes down to the dealer, or the distributor they go through.  I liked the old days when I could just call down to BGE in ATL--pay the shipping and that was it.  Those days are long gone though.  :(
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @stlcharcoal -  "What if I put a "Limited Lifetime Warranty" on a bag of Rockwood?  Sounds like a great idea.  Read the fine print, you can't light it on fire.  LOL." That's pretty good.  =) 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I wonder if @stlcharcoal 's warranty idea would clear the Prop 65 hurdle for CA?? :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Charcoal_Addict
    Options
    I thought the whole situation would be confusing for the average consumer.  Minimally the warranty cards should be pulled.  If something like this happens in California, it would cause a much bigger issue.  California is one of the few states that have been able to successfully ding Apple for the Californa State consumer protections act.   

I don't like to see consumers get screwed over by things like this.  Is the average consumer who's not a Kamado enthusiast going to know that Wal-Mart is not an authorized dealer.  I doubt it.  

It it doesn't have a warranty as specified on the warranty card.  Why shouldn't it be an obligation of the retailer to fairly notify the consumer before they make the purchase.  In this circumstance, Wal-Mart has failed to provide any signage, labels or terms and conditions to notify the customer about the products warranty.  Is this fair to the consumer?
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I wonder if @stlcharcoal 's warranty idea would clear the Prop 65 hurdle for CA?? :)
    Hahahhaha.  Yep, can't make carbon monoxide (and cause cancer, birth defects, etc) if you don't burn it!
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Sorry to derail but my rockwood arrived from firecraft today. I still have 13 bags of OO but Im gonna break out the RW and give it a try. Thanks @stlcharcoal

Little Rock, AR

• Skiddymarker
    edited April 2015
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Hahahhaha.  Yep, can't make carbon monoxide (and cause cancer, birth defects, etc) if you don't burn it!
    But @lousubcap has a point - it would seem that in CA that you even have to use warning labels to protect yourself from the moron who decided if I cant burn it maybe I can snort or chew it! Son brought me a shooter glass a few years ago, has a warning label, probably due to the lead or paints in the design. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    stlcharcoal said:

When you buy something that's pretty much made out of sand and has no moving parts, why wouldn't you expect it to last forever?

Hmm, maybe the nature of heating a very brittle object up to hundreds and sometimes >1000F is in itself, is like asking for it to fail at some point.  If the likelyhood that an egg would never ever fail, it would never need a warranty.  it is a proven fact, the ceramics fail under proper use, sometimes quicker than others.  Hence the warranty.  I guess if you find their warranty unacceptable, you are free to buy one of those red ones.

Wait, Does Kamado Joe have the same limited warranty?

"Limited Lifetime Warranty on Ceramic Parts

Kamado Joe warrants that all ceramic parts used in this Kamado Joe grill and smoker are free of defects in material and workmanship for as long as the original purchaser owns the grill."

Wow, I guess their warranty sucks as bad as the Big Green Egg.  Maybe you should start producing your own ceramic Egg with the perfect warranty good for all eternity.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    stlcharcoal said:

Hmm, maybe the nature of heating a very brittle object up to hundreds and sometimes >1000F is in itself, is like asking for it to fail at some point.  If the likelyhood that an egg would never ever fail, it would never need a warranty.  it is a proven fact, the ceramics fail under proper use, sometimes quicker than others.  Hence the warranty.  I guess if you find their warranty unacceptable, you are free to buy one of those red ones.

Kamado Joe warrants that all ceramic parts used in this Kamado Joe grill and smoker are free of defects in material and workmanship for as long as the original purchaser owns the grill."

Wow, I guess their warranty sucks as bad as the Big Green Egg.  Maybe you should start producing your own ceramic Egg with the perfect warranty good for all eternity.
    One key difference.  Kamado Joe at the Costco Roadshow does extend their limited lifetime warranty.  Unlike the BGE with Costco & Sams.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited April 2015
    Options
    SmyrnaGA said:
    Zmokin said:
    stlcharcoal said:

One key difference.  Kamado Joe at the Costco Roadshow does extend their limited lifetime warranty.  Unlike the BGE with Costco & Sams.
    That's because KJ is actively selling product through the roadshow. It's not a grey market item like the Egg has been.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    and if the sale of a KJ was "grey", they have the same exclusion:
    "Purchasing any Kamado Joe product through an unauthorized dealer voids the warranty. An unauthorized dealer is defined as, but not limited to discount clubs, big box stores or any retailer who has not been expressly granted permission by Kamado Joe to sell Kamado Joe products."

The question is do they make any effort to tell anyone the warranty may be void? 

In my mind the value of the BGE warranty from an authorized dealer is worth 40% of the retail egg price. In other words, an egg bought from a non-authorized source might be worth as much as 60% of authorized source retail. Don't think that is the case with Sam's. The issue brought up my @mountaindewbass is significant. If the egg can be registered, regardless of the source, the customer may falsely assume their purchase is under warranty. If BGE declined the registration, and the customer wants a warranty, they may be able to return for refund to the unauthorized source. BGE it would seem, may have some strange marketing and sales policies. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Over the years I have had a few fire boxes replaced and never have had to show a receipt or even a picture until the last time. In my case my dealer stocks replacement pieces. In fact I've seen his inventory and it's impressive! You walk in with a problem and walk out with the solution in hand! GREAT dealers are worth their weight in eggs!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Charcoal_Addict
    Options
    SmyrnaGA said:
    Zmokin said:
    stlcharcoal said:

That's because KJ is actively selling product through the roadshow. It's not a grey market item like the Egg has been.
    KJ always deal with these issues promptly in recent time.  I know they forced a dealer to change unauthorized offers on their website that violated their reseller policies last year.  

In Canada, we have the Canadian Consumer Protections Act.  Dealers and retailers are obligated to post changes to warranty policies. Anything being sold used or reseller 2nd's.  You have to post a retraction in Canada or face some pretty pricey fines.  

Each State has it's own consumer protection laws.  The waters are very muddy in the U.S.  Some of the state laws are downright awful for US consumers.  

I'm not singling out Wal-Mart or BGE here.  I don't care who the brand is or which retailer store is involved.  If it was target and Weber, my opinion would be the same.  

It doesn't matter if BGE wants to do this, what matters is the consumer is not being fairly informed about these issues at Sam's.  

It's no different form car manufacturers promoting prices in ad's where there's no chance a customer can get the advertised price at a dealership.  

If the manufacture's warranty is null and void, the retailer has an obligation to inform the consumer before they make their purchase.  

Is that unreasonable?

2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • Charcoal_Addict
    Charcoal_Addict Posts: 227
    edited April 2015
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    But @lousubcap has a point - it would seem that in CA that you even have to use warning labels to protect yourself from the moron who decided if I cant burn it maybe I can snort or chew it! Son brought me a shooter glass a few years ago, has a warning label, probably due to the lead or paints in the design. 
    This should be the sign they post all around the city limits of LA.  Warning, the city of Los Angeles may contain Dangerous Chemicals in the air know to cause...that would be one heck of a long sign with everything floating around in LA's air.  
  • FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    . . . . . . .  I buy lots of things that come with a non-transferable lifetime warranty.  e.g. I'm on my 2nd set of free replacement brakepads I bought for my car from autozone.  For the life of my car while I own it, I get free brake pads, the person I sell my car to doesn't. . . . . . . 
    Being from Canada, I am not sure what an autozone is. In this country, we have no wait muffler shops and fast lube garages that offer lifetime warranties on brakes as well. It really doesn't take long to figure out that it is the brake pads and shoes that are warranted and not their labour. They'll put cheap ass pads & shoes on knowing full well that you will be back next year for the "FREE REPLACEMENT" lifetime warranty for which they are happy to charge you a couple of hundred bucks labour. You think that they are installing a quality product because they wouldn't give you a lifetime warranty otherwise would they? While in their garage, it is almost guaranteed that they will also find something else wrong with your car to fix for you and, hell man, it's a good thing you got there when you did otherwise you may have had a major catastrophe! The whole thing is nothing more than a scam. Oh yeah, right, sorry. The topic is BGE warranties. As far as being transferable, BGE should allow that for a limited time like one to five years and thereafter no transfer is permitted. Just because you buy an egg today and die tomorrow shouldn't mean the end of BGE's obligation to stand behind their product for at least a certain amount of time. It should not matter who sells the egg, the warranty should still be honoured and the manufacturer should be going after the dealer that sold to unauthorized resellers in the first place unless that dealer is also the manufacturer which still might be a possibility. If this is the case then the manufacturer has no morals whatsoever. IMHO

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @FlashkaBob autozone is just a parts store. Do your own damn labour.  And I'd be pissed to no end to get that lifetime brake job!
  • FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    Options
    @FlashkaBob autozone is just a parts store. Do your own damn labour.  And I'd be pissed to no end to get that lifetime brake job!
    Thank you yolk? Some folks are not that mechanically inclined to do their own brake jobs. I'm sure you know the kind of garage I'm talking about. And yes this kind of shlt happens all the time. I avoid these places like the plague after getting screwed on a "LIFETIME WARRANTY" muffler this way. "Oh you definitely have to have your catalytic converter replaced ." "We had to replace the tailpipe." Yada Yada Yada. Muffler guaranteed to last less than 1 year. I'm sure that this had to be in the fine print somewhere  :o

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    REal interested to see what would happen if I found a specific sams location selling BGe, then called the mother ship to report specific location.   If bge was still sitting on that sales floor all summer, I would suspect foul on bge.  Bge should protect their authorized dealers.  
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    odie91 said:
    REal interested to see what would happen if I found a specific sams location selling BGe, then called the mother ship to report specific location.   If bge was still sitting on that sales floor all summer, I would suspect foul on bge.  Bge should protect their authorized dealers.  

They don't last very long.  The stores get 5-10 of them, and they're sold within a week as "one off" items.  I saw them at a few stores about two years ago, they were gone in three days.  That's why when I see something out of the norm at Costco, I buy it right then because there's no guarantee it will be there the next day......and you can always return it.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options

I was going through some old paperwork and came across something.

It was my dealer agreement from Maverick barring me from selling their product on Ebay, Amazon, Buy.com, etc.  Yet we see them all the time on Amazon (for prices near to what I can buy them for as a dealer).

So these are sales via an unauthorized dealer.  How many of you have bought 732's and 733's via Amazon for under $50?  They were unauthorized sales, but Maverick's warranty still covers it.  Their warranty sales you may have to produce proof of purchase, but nothing about buying from an "authorized dealer".  They made the product, who sold it in the middle does effect the quality or longevity of it.

• tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options

It was my dealer agreement from Maverick barring me from selling their product on Ebay, Amazon, Buy.com, etc.  Yet we see them all the time on Amazon (for prices near to what I can buy them for as a dealer).

So these are sales via an unauthorized dealer.  How many of you have bought 732's and 733's via Amazon for under $50?  They were unauthorized sales, but Maverick's warranty still covers it.  Their warranty sales you may have to produce proof of purchase, but nothing about buying from an "authorized dealer".  They made the product, who sold it in the middle does effect the quality or longevity of it.

You couldn't be more right about that STL. Who sells it doesn't impact who made it or the quality. UNLESS something shady is going on and they know that they are selling units that aren't up to snuff and instead of warrantying them, they are taking the chicken way out of it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Didn't read the entire thread so if this has been mentioned I do apologize.  And also not trying to start a war...or belittle anyone. Why do people make such an issue out of a cracked FB? I cracked ours in 08 when we moved. Cooks just fine. Talked to a dealer, he told me he would warranty it. But I never sent the card in...My fire grate also had a crack...far worse than some of the ones I have seen people freaking out about.  
    Isn't  like if I ever have to replace either of these parts I would have to sell a kidney to finance them. Other than a broken FB or grate what is going to go wrong that a warranty is so critical? Ain't like the thing is electronic....
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Huh. I bought a Maverick from Amazon that was sold "by Amazon" and offered prime shipping during a sale where the 732 was marked down 30% or so(I think it was 34.99 two or so years ago). The unit is a piece of junk(food probe okay, grill temp probe all over the place and often off by up to 100 degrees). I never bothered with the warranty because I didn't feel the 35 bucks was worth my time to deal with it. Still using it for food temp, still has the same issues. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    And....

I spoke to a high end audio equipment retailer a while back. Was looking into purchasing a pre-amp & 5 channel amp. The price was in the area that made me question things. In my chat with the dealer I asked if these components were really that much better than the equipment I had. His response surprised me...he said no. But the reason the price was what it was was because of the lifetime warranty. The equipment I purchased had a 5 year warranty.  He explained to me that, at least in this case, the higher purchase price was to cover the warranty.  In essence you were paying up front for a second component....if that makes any sense.  Can't help but wonder if that is not the case with the Egg?
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options

Regarding Amazon, maybe they are referring to their Ebay-like marketplace.  You can list used or new items on Amazon as a private seller. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options

of course you would do this......

XLBGE 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Nothing personal, but I disagree and submit this counterpoint.

Purchasing a discounted egg and then fibbing to get the lifetime warranty would tarnish the experience for me every time I used it.  No way am I going turn myself into a liar for a couple hundred dollars.

Besides, how can we teach our kids to be honest if we aren't?

Until I can afford an egg that can be legitimately registered, I will do without.  
    Phoenix