Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

17 LB Costco Prime Brisket is on!

Options
dstearn
dstearn Posts: 1,702
edited April 2015 in EggHead Forum
Lucky me, one of the Costco's nearby always has untrimmed whole packer briskets in stock. It was 17.6 LBs but I estimate I trimmed around 3LBs of fat off of it before seasoning with salt, pepper and a smidge of garlic.
It was set on the XL at 10:30 PM at 225 grid/250 dome. As of 9:00 AM I bumped up the temp to 235 grid. Internal temp is  now 164 and slowly climbing out of the stall.  Looking to serve around 6:00 PM. 

Comments

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options

Some Beach!!!! Yes Sir!!!!

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Now that's some prime eats just waiting to happen.   Enjoy the remainder of the cook-the most enjoyable part of the BGE adventure.  
    An observation-you may want to foil protect what appears to be a thin part of the flat that looks exposed to direct heat.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dstearn
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Now that's some prime eats just waiting to happen.   Enjoy the remainder of the cook-the most enjoyable part of the BGE adventure.  
    An observation-you may want to foil protect what appears to be a thin part of the flat that looks exposed to direct heat.  FWIW-
    Thanks for the tip, I just inserted some foil underneath that part of the flat. There are only four of us for dinner so there should be plenty of meat and leftovers for my guests. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,051
    Options
    That looks killer!  Looking forward to seeing the finish.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    Looking good!
    McKinney, TX
  • mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    This looks awesome!
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    I wish I could get prime brisket in my area. I called my Costco and they only have flats. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • dstearn
    Options
    GATABITES said:
    I wish I could get prime brisket in my area. I called my Costco and they only have flats. 
    I have two Costco's in my area. One only has flats and the other store has flats and packers. Why they cannot be consistent is a mystery to me.
  • dstearn
    Options
    Just probed for tenderness. One part of the flat was like butter but it was closer to he point. I repositioned the probe to the portion of the flat that was thicker and had more resistance. It was ten degrees cooler at 186. It should be ready to pull and FTC soon.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    dstearn said:
    GATABITES said:
    I have two Costco's in my area. One only has flats and the other store has flats and packers. Why they cannot be consistent is a mystery to me.
    Looking superb.  Costco here or anywhere in central CA has no brisket.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    It's all about the feel as you have addressed.  The thickest part of the flat is the key to the finish-line.  Enjoy the eats that await.  If you have any questions about slicing the hunk of beef (no burnt ends) give the below Aaron Franklin video a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIlyzRFUjU 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    Options
    That is a hunk-o-meat!  Looks awesome, looking forward to the finish.  You're guests are lucky people.
    Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM
  • dstearn
    Options
    Just pulled it at 202 and FTCed until our guests arrive at 4:00!
  • dstearn
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    It's all about the feel as you have addressed.  The thickest part of the flat is the key to the finish-line.  Enjoy the eats that await.  If you have any questions about slicing the hunk of beef (no burnt ends) give the below Aaron Franklin video a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIlyzRFUjU 
    Thanks, it is a great video. I learn more as I cook more.  :)
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    dstearn said:

dstearn said:
    Did you let it cool a lil before FTC or did it just go straight in?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • dstearn
    Options
    cazzy said:
    dstearn said:

dstearn said:
    It went straight in. When I removed it from the cooler about 3 1/2 hrs later the internal temp was 157. It was a little on the dry side compared to my prior cook.
    How long should I have let it cool before FTC? 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,051
    Options
    I think FTC on brisket that is jiggly pushes it to far.

I am curious to see how much to let it cool before FTC if you need it to hold for a while.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    On my end looks terrific. 
  • dstearn
    Options
    The lower end of the flat was dry but the mid portion had more moisture. The point was very moist.
  • cazzy
    Options
    dstearn said:
    cazzy said:
    dstearn said:

dstearn said:
    It went straight in. When I removed it from the cooler about 3 1/2 hrs later the internal temp was 157. It was a little on the dry side compared to my prior cook.
    How long should I have let it cool before FTC? 

At least till it starts coming down.  Like 190ish or 20-30 minutes.  
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    dstearn said:
    Lucky me, one of the Costco's nearby always has untrimmed whole packer briskets in stock. It was 17.6 LBs...
    What did you pay per lbs. for that?
    Do they give you a break on untrimmed briskets?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • dstearn
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    dstearn said:
    Lucky me, one of the Costco's nearby always has untrimmed whole packer briskets in stock. It was 17.6 LBs...
    What did you pay per lbs. for that?
    Do they give you a break on untrimmed briskets?
    $3.89 per lb. Choice trimmed was $6.99 per lb.
  • dstearn
    Options
    @cazzy next time I will let cool a bit before FTC to avoid over cooking it.
  • cazzy
    edited April 2015
    Options

I think FTC on brisket that is jiggly pushes it to far.

I am curious to see how much to let it cool before FTC if you need it to hold for a while.
    No, it's not about pushing it to far, it's about using it right.  As mentioned before, FTC can be a risky technique for a perfect brisket when used improperly.  A piece of meat with that much mass will carry over when you pull it off (i.e. keep cooking).  Immediately FTC'ing a hot piece of meat will only intensify the carry over and that perfectly jiggly brisket is now dry.  

Let it cool where it clearly is displaying a temperature drop (20-30 minutes), then FTC.  

Perhaps I should make a thread at some point, cause it appears my warnings are being missed.  I believe @dstearn was engaged in the convo the last time I brought it up.  Either way, some people actually think FTC is part of a recipe. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have not had the confidence yet in trying a brisket on the XL yet. I am wanting to do so soon though. I think it would be totally cool to thread up a brisket forum. Newbies like me could learn so much with active and ongoing dialog.
    there is so much valuable and helpful experience out there, and there are so many kind people willing to share their insight.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • dstearn
    Options
    @cazzy , I learned from my mistake of not using your advice.Next time if I need to hold it prior to serving I will let it cool down for 20-30 minutes. I am one of those that learn from my mistakes which is why I will never take up skydiving.  :)
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @cazzy I'd love it if you'd make an egg brisket thread, my first one on the egg was a mess.  I can now see a few of the mistakes I made but think getting the techniques from experienced people such as yourself would be awesome.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    I follow his advice on howtobbqright.com. He recommends at least 15 minutes with the foil open to let heat and steam escape before FTC.
    Dearborn MI
  • cazzy
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @YukonRon @ryantt

The info is already on the forum fellas and a lot can be found in the BBQ w/ Franklin YouTube Series.  I will make a specific thread on FTC at some point, which will apply to any protein and not just brisket...although mostly brisket. Lol

To search the site here, type this exactly into Google:

Brisket tips site:eggheadforum.com

[Brisket tips] can be replaced with whatever you are searching for.  
  • cazzy
    Options

dstearn said:
    @cazzy , I learned from my mistake of not using your advice.Next time if I need to hold it prior to serving I will let it cool down for 20-30 minutes. I am one of those that learn from my mistakes which is why I will never take up skydiving.  :)
    Cool man.  Reps are good...you may have figured it out at some point.  

I learned it through error and reading comments here...then logic kicked in and I was like duh.