Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Age

Options

Comments

• Monaarts
    Monaarts Posts: 191
    Options
    @st¡ke Thanks for the info!  
  • Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Options
    Where is a good place to buy the dry age bags ?
    Gambrills,Maryland

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Where is a good place to buy the dry age bags ?
    Only 1 place in the US sells them. Here's the link:
    http://www.drybagsteak.com/shop-all-umai-dry.php

Just for full disclosure I am the moderator on their forum, but unpaid.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mrw123
    mrw123 Posts: 202
    Options
    I just noticed that the mini fridge I'm using to dry age a rib roast has been off all week. (Surge hit the house and the surge protector the fridge is plugged in to did what it was supposed to do.) Is the roast garbage? Argh.
  • thegooddocta
    Options
    great writeup @st¡ke - convincing me to dry at the very least... 
    Mike - (1)LBGE, HeaterMeter v4.2.4
    Little Rhody Egger - East Greenwich, RI
  • RRP
    Options
    mrw123 said:
    I just noticed that the mini fridge I'm using to dry age a rib roast has been off all week. (Surge hit the house and the surge protector the fridge is plugged in to did what it was supposed to do.) Is the roast garbage? Argh.
    Up to your nose I would say, but I bet it's history - I know it would be if it was mine. BTW most all of those mini fridges are not good for dry aging. While they stay cool they typically do not circulate the internal air nor remove the moisture being released by the meat so that just hangs there. Some people will try to overcome those shortcomings using fans inside and daily opening of the door to turn over that captured stale air. If you can just convince SWMBO that you want to take over the bottom shelf of the kitchen refrig you will be much happier with the results IMO.
  • st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    Options
    first timers i would say try 28 days. You'll be looking at it sideways with fingers crossed. So go short the first time. No need for bags if you want to just get started right away. 

I rinse the thing, pat dry, and trim any membrane or loose fat. Then onto a cooling rack on a cookie sheet. It won't really drip at all. Next day the fat will already be drum tight. 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    How did the pumpkin turn out this year @st¡ke
    Greensboro, NC
  • TarHeelBBQ
    TarHeelBBQ Posts: 317
    Options
    Found a good deal on strip loin prime grade. Will be dry aging it either tomorrow or Sunday. Any differences on aging a strip loin and a rib eye loin?
  • RRP
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Found a good deal on strip loin prime grade. Will be dry aging it either tomorrow or Sunday. Any differences on aging a strip loin and a rib eye loin?
    How large is it? Considering the cut then yes a strip loin which is thinner takes less time and over drying it doesn't work for folks who haven't learned the wonderful taste of dry aging and the trimming loss it entails for MOST people. OTOH a rib eye is much thicker and of course if it is bone in then even more time can be your goal. 
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Stupid question... Is there any benefit to drying a whole tenderloin and then cutting into filets?

does the same general principals apply to pork? Say an entire pork loin? 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    hapster said:
    Stupid question... Is there any benefit to drying a whole tenderloin and then cutting into filets?

Don't know on tenderloin. As far as the pork loin goes, @20stone brought 50 day dry aged pork chops to the Salado after party that were amazing. I'm going to be researching and trying that next. 

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • hapster
    Options
    DMW said:
    hapster said:

Don't know on tenderloin. As far as the pork loin goes, @20stone brought 50 day dry aged pork chops to the Salado after party that were amazing. I'm going to be researching and trying that next. 

Pork seems to be a better trial point cost wise for experimenting 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    hapster said:
    DMW said:
    hapster said:

And I have 2 whole pork loins in the deep freezer right now. Once I have fridge space I think I'll thaw one and dry age it to see how it turns out. I bought on sale, so not a huge investment.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    edited April 2015
    Options
    hapster said:

It is NOT a stupid question and in FACT avery smart one! At least for the forum I am very active on. Over "there" I lifted this reply:

We recommend strongly against aging tenderloin for the traditional 14, 21, or 28 days, rather ONLY 4-5 days is suitable, sufficient and the most non-wasteful way to improve upon so valuable a cut of meat. You can age other cuts to deepen their flavor, but we have not found that other cuts improve in texture significantly with dry aging.
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options
    What "other forum" is that RRP? 
    Brandon, MS
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Here's my dry bag project as of 5 minutes ago. 42 day aging to be cut on Masters Sunday. 
  • RRP
    Options
    What "other forum" is that RRP? 
    Since YOU asked,,,it's the UMAi Dry® Bag forum where I am an unpaid forum moderator since I requested to help them to get their forum up and monitored since I believe in their product!!! Not everybody has SWMBO who is willing to let a 12 to 20 pound piece of raw meat literally sit there in "her" refrig and "rot" for 28 to 60 days! Here's the link and the after that hook up click on HOME and go for there. OK?
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    If you've got a spare fridge, this is the easiest DIY project ever. You do nothing. Hard to beat that. 
  • hapster
    Options
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options

Here's my nearly 22 lbs initial weight boneless rib-eye sub-primal.  I took the photo a few minutes ago.  I'm shooting for 45 days which will be April 21.

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• RRP
    Options
    My linkage got lost or whatever... Try this...
    http://www.drybagsteak.com/forum
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    20stone's 50 day dry aged pork loin was maybe the best thing I've ever eaten.  Maybe second to blue fin tuna sashimi.  Thank you to the dirty hippies that grew dirty tasty pigs and aged their meat.  And to you for being brave @20stone.
    Options
    hapster said:
    DMW said:
    hapster said:

It depends which pork you buy.  The pork at Salado was dirty hippy raised Berkshire, and comparably priced to beef.  I thought it was awesome, and am closely following this thread, as I see some dry bags in my future.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options

20stone's 50 day dry aged pork loin was maybe the best thing I've ever eaten.  Maybe second to blue fin tuna sashimi.  Thank you to the dirty hippies that grew dirty tasty pigs and aged their meat.  And to you for being brave @20stone.
    That is very generous, @nolaegghead, as I know you eat (and cook) pretty well.  In this case (as with sashimi), it was a function of getting an awesome piece of meat and not screwing it up. 

I assume that the bravery comment is in reference to how I bravely rescued those chops from the inferno flare-up (caused by their own wonderful fat), instead of closing the lid like a rational person.

http://giphy.com/gifs/yahooscreen-fire-puppies-rescue-DpB9NBxVD99mKpdx1V6

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • mgoblue0484
    mgoblue0484 Posts: 148
    Options
    What is the minimum (lbs) you would consider dry-aging? Does it matter? Good topic. Is Ribeye the preferred choice of meat?

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• RRP
    Options
    Depends on what sub-primal you had in mind. Trouble is most people will want to cut off the hard waxy outer layer so the smaller the piece the smaller the results. Same way why you can't dry age single steaks. Oh you can let a raw steak sit for a week which will dry it a tad, but it won't be dry aged meat. If I sense the basis of your question is to see if you like dry aged beef why not track down some butcher shop which sells it and just buy a steak or two.
  • st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    Options
    Most people cut it off now that every tom **** and harry is doing it. But it's important to note that it never used to be trimmed so heavily. The tradition is to find a balance so that you arent wastinf so much meat

you will never get a better crust on a roast or steak as when you stick with it and try the way it used to be

most people also prefer lite beer. Just sayin
  • TarHeelBBQ
    TarHeelBBQ Posts: 317
    Options
    Dry aging has begun