Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hi Egg Heads!! Newbie here!

Options
man I'm pumped about finding this forum! I'm firing up my new best friend as I type this...just breaking her in. However...I am putting him to the test Friday night. I'm going to smoke a butt! anyone have any cool first time recipes for me, much obliged. This new group is going to change my life! I'm now an EGG HEAD!
Dennis Frasier, Newburgh, IN
LBGE, Mar 31, 2015, Indiana Hoosiers, Colts, Pacers and Yankees
I just got seduced by a BIG....GREEN....EGG

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Welcome...

Make sure to relax, have fun, post some pics, and become familiar with the search box in at the top of the page to the right
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Lots and lots of info here.  Start with the search up in the top right of this page.  Also Google "Big Green Egghead Forum ...".  And as always, pics or it didn't happen.  Welcome from Midlothian, Virginia!
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    BE (before Egg)
    AE (after Egg)

Welcome to the first day of the rest of your now better life. 

Three tips ( with several others to come, I'm sure). 

1. Tighten all the bolts, especially the main band bolts, in 30 days. Then mark your calendar to check again 6 months. 

2. Post photos of your cooks, or they didn't happen

3 Do NOT, repeat Do NOT, post any photos with dirty forks in them. 

NO FORKS! Join THE Cause.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Read the "Burp it, close call" thread and watch the video. Seriously. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Relax and spend a few hours today playing with the vent and daisy wheel settings to get to certain temps; I spent several hours my first day with my egg just playing with settings.

What kind of butt are you looking to do?  The traditional low & slow at 250, or ya wanna go Turbo @ 350 degrees?

what kind of sauces are your favorites?  Any favorite rubs for steaks or burgers that you've tried in the past?

Any have plenty of cold beverage of your choice on hand.

Most of all, relax, breathe, and have fun with it.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Welcome aboard!  There is a ton of information here.  I might suggest searching a few basic topics such as good smoke versus bad smoke, differences in lump, etc.  just to maybe help with a quicker learning curve.  The beauty of the Egg, though, is that the opportunity for learning never stops!
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Welcome. We are glad you are here? What part of the world are you in? 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Defrasier
    Defrasier Posts: 33
    Options
    I'm in Newburgh, Indiana! I work out of my home...so today...sunny and 75...I'm egging it. Just playing with temps right now cooking a chicken breast and some mahi.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @Defrasier ... Welcome - You are home!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    Welcome, Pork butt is a good one, hard to mess up. The traditional low and slow around 250-275. keep it simple, rub it up, toss it on, pull it when done around 200 degrees for pulling. 8 pound butt can take around 15 hours at these temps so plan ahead.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Pro-Tip: Drink heavily while cooking.  Welcome.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Options
    Not sure if we should be glad you are here or not. Kidding - we are! Welcome!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Welcome. Plan ahead and get to know your settings. Always put enough lump in. Rub generously 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    I jumped in with a low and slow, overnight butt three days into owning my egg, damn egg went out twice during the processes.  Do the search here and read up on it.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options

Come on in... Have some fun, "enjoy yo self".... 

Make sure you post pictures of dirty forks when you post. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Welcome.  One smoking the pork butt, there a lot of ways to go. First how big is it and when do you need it done?  I have done most of mine turbo which is smoking above 300°, but Saturday I am putting 2 10 pounders on around midnight and smoking between 225-250.  The lower the temp the longer it will take.  One of them I am currently curring like ham and the other I will inject apple cider and use my new favorite rub R Butt's R Smokin.  The second one will be for pulled pork and will be pulled after it reaches 195 or a little higher and it probes like butter.  The ham one I will pull around 180ish let rest to finish at 185 or so for slicing.  I like to let the pulled pork on rest to, it seems to help when pulling.  Also if you can pull the bone out clean its done.  Like the others said do a search and check out what others have done to see what you like.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  What follows is some information that you may find useful:

Here’s a link to all things ceramic-chances are if you have a question the answer is within this site somewhere.  Check out the recipe section for some great ideas.http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm

For additional links to cooking/recipe sites; here are two very good ones, depending what you are cooking:  This site contains a wealth of the science behind Q cooking along with info on about every type of meat cook you would attempt: http://amazingribs.com/

Here’s the second one:  http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/

After-market toys- With the BGE there are three basic styles of cooking;  “direct”-where the cooking grid is on top of the fire ring; “raised direct”-where the grid is elevated at least to the gasket-line (this setup requires after-market stuff-easiest is to get another grid and then use three fire bricks (or three empty aluminum beer cans) and place them on the grid at the fire ring and then put the second grid on top. The third is “indirect” where there is a heat deflector (platesetter or some other type stone) between the burning lump and the cooking grid.  This is the setup for low&slow long duration cooks.  I would get comfortable playing around with the BGE before any major after-market investments.  Will save you $$ in the long run. 

Some observations-make sure you calibrate your dome thermo-boil some water, then insert the thermo and check the temp.  If not around 210*F, then note the off-set and use the nut on the back to correct.  Then recheck.

Temperature is a controlled by the volume of lump burning.  The volume is controlled by the air-flow thru the BGE.  In thru the bottom vent and out the top.  Make sure when you set it up that the fire box opening is aligned with the lower vent. 

When adjusting the vent(s) to change temperature, the feedback loop can take some time.  Changes in air-flow are reflected in the dome thermo temp.  Don’t chase temperature; +/- 10-15*F is close enough.

“Stable temperature” is a relative term.  Means you haven’t moved the vents and the temperature is steady for anywhere from 30-60 minutes.

That's more than enough for now.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Welcome 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Defrasier
    Options
    You da man lousubcap!
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    With a stash like that, you should be a cop!
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Defrasier
    Options
    Welcome.  One smoking the pork butt, there a lot of ways to go. First how big is it and when do you need it done?  I have done most of mine turbo which is smoking above 300°, but Saturday I am putting 2 10 pounders on around midnight and smoking between 225-250.  The lower the temp the longer it will take.  One of them I am currently curring like ham and the other I will inject apple cider and use my new favorite rub R Butt's R Smokin.  The second one will be for pulled pork and will be pulled after it reaches 195 or a little higher and it probes like butter.  The ham one I will pull around 180ish let rest to finish at 185 or so for slicing.  I like to let the pulled pork on rest to, it seems to help when pulling.  Also if you can pull the bone out clean its done.  Like the others said do a search and check out what others have done to see what you like.
    I actually haven't gotten the meat yet...getting suggestions. My butcher sold me the BGE and he may have some good suggestions for me. Planning on starting about 7 friday night and have no timeframe when I need it done. I'm taking this seriously, and only plan on drinking 12-15 beers. Am I being a Nancy? Should I put on my beer shoes?
  • Defrasier
    Options
    With a stash like that, you should be a cop!
    That's for the dames...Free Mustache Rides...always 
  • Defrasier
    Options
    Alright Men...what's the skinny on dirty forks? Sell me.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    @Defrasier-with all I posted above I failed to include the BGE adult beverage rules-so here they are (all time-independent):
    Light the BGE = time for an adult beverage (or more, depending on lighting technique).  
    Food on =  time for an adult beverage.  Then as required/desired for the appropriate level of attention for the cook duration.  
    Bonus deal with the BGE = She Who Must Be Obeyed (SWMBO) eggscape time to ensure the proper level of supervision.  
    And I will let you decide if your target beer consumption range is sufficient :peace: 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Defrasier said:
    Alright Men...what's the skinny on dirty forks? Sell me.
    A bit of a running joke, you might say....

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1688468#Comment_1688468

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    Not sure if we should be glad you are here or not. Kidding - we are! Welcome!
    Sorry about that @Defrasier. It was supposed to read "We are glad you are here!"

@THEBuckeye has an aversion to seeing a "dirty fork" on a plated pic. He can't take it. For him it is worse than seeing a dirty diaper. If the fork has anything on it at all it freaks him out.

We still like him. We just learn to live with it.  

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Defrasier
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Defrasier-with all I posted above I failed to include the BGE adult beverage rules-so here they are (all time-independent):
    Light the BGE = time for an adult beverage (or more, depending on lighting technique).  
    Food on =  time for an adult beverage.  Then as required/desired for the appropriate level of attention for the cook duration.  
    Bonus deal with the BGE = She Who Must Be Obeyed (SWMBO) eggscape time to ensure the proper level of supervision.  
    And I will let you decide if your target beer consumption range is sufficient :peace: 
    Noted! If I drink during the winter months, I tend to put on a couple hundred pounds. So now that the weather is here...I like to enjoy some Stella...Sam Adams...maybe a Heineken (because it's good beer)....Sierra Nevada...if I want to end up in another state, Captain and Diet...I mix it up almost always.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Cant believe this threads made it this far and nobody has demanded he make a spatchcock chicken. You buncha slackers. Yall are slipping. 

Little Rock, AR

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Cant believe this threads made it this far and nobody has demanded he make a spatchcock chicken. You buncha slackers. Yall are slipping. 
     I was sooooooo about to say spatchcock chicken but then stupid work distracted me. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.