Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is the BGE accessory you regret purchasing the most?

Options

Comments

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    smbishop said:
    BGE grid lifter - get thirdeyes, I use it every cook.

Not many will agree with me, but I bought those grates that help the airflow at the bottom of the firebox for both my small and large and went back to the BGE grates soon after.  Too much lump was falling through and I have no problems with the original grates...

If you would want to sell the Grate for your large, let me know.  I have one for my medium and was wanting one for my large.

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    This thread reminds me of Hamfests. I wonder if a fleamarket/swapmeet the day prior to Eggfests would be possible? Everyone brings their un or under used stuff and leaves with slightly used stuff they want to try.

Any other Hams (current or past) out there?

N3ZKB
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    @DMW- great idea.  Just need the fest sponsor to get on board.  With the varying level of personal/business entities that run fests hopefully this will catch on.  I will take the message to our local fest organizers/sponsors.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    There are two items that I bought and no longer use ... the ceramic cap and the daisy wheel.  Bought a Smokeware cap for the first egg and fell in love with it.  So the daisy wheel when into storage.  Made an aluminum plug (wood works just as well) to go inside the cap for shut down ... and the ceramic cap also went into storage.

When I bought my second egg, the dealer took back the new daisy wheel in exchange for a Smokeware cap.  He made a few dollars on the exchange and I saved quite a few ... good for both of us.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• North_Is_Up
    North_Is_Up Posts: 137
    Options
    Big Green Egg All Natural Charcoal Starters. They go for about $12.00 for 24 of them. I went to Ace and found Safe Lite Fire Starters for about $17.00 for 144. Do the math. I did.
    The funny thing is I store a small supply of them in the empty box of BGE starters for regular use. 
    Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Rib rack.  Waste of space.
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Platesetter. So many better ways to cook indirect using a flat pizza stone. And easier to handle and store after the cook.

I also like the simple BGE Nest but the current price for the Nest is just getting crazy for a basic stand.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Jeepster47
    Options
     As Photo Egg mentioned, the plate setter isn't an easy item to store.  But, it more than makes up for the aggravation when the legs are used to protect the thermocouple wires from direct flames.  Plus the legs provide a convenient location to place the probe tips where they're shielded from direct flames to give grill-level reading.

The plate setter is a bastard child until you buy a CGS PSWoo2.  With the Woo, it's very easy to handle when hot.  With the Woo, you can pull the plate setter, grill, food, and temp probes in one simple unit to add more lump or smoke wood.  Plus, the Woo provides a convenient method of cooking raised direct.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options

Made an aluminum plug (wood works just as well) to go inside the cap for shut down

Not sure what happened to your aluminum plug.  You will probably have to make another.  On another note I found a nice aluminum plug that fits my medium.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    There are two items that I bought and no longer use ... the ceramic cap and the daisy wheel.  Bought a Smokeware cap for the first egg and fell in love with it.  So the daisy wheel when into storage.  Made an aluminum plug (wood works just as well) to go inside the cap for shut down ... and the ceramic cap also went into storage.

When I bought my second egg, the dealer took back the new daisy wheel in exchange for a Smokeware cap.  He made a few dollars on the exchange and I saved quite a few ... good for both of us.

Jeepster, would you mind posting a pic of the aluminum plug?  Thanks.
    Phoenix 
  • Jeepster47
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @blasting ... not a problem.  Here's the thread.  In the above post, I should have called it an aluminum lid ... plug suggests that it goes down in the ceramic vent hole, which it does not!

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1173654/put-a-lid-on-it/p1

@Ozzie_Issac ... leave my stuff alone or your sister will become an only child!

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    I also never used my BGE cookbook. I was excited when I bought it, but I never used it. I see I am not alone. 
    Ah I forgot I even had this. Add this to the list. Never use it, this forum is a million times better. Great responses!
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    I honestly don't see why people bag on the PS so much. I got the AR combo for Xmas and haven't even touched the woo or stone yet.  

I don't see the woo +stone doing anything better than the PS does.  Plus as I noted in another thread, i use the wings on the PS as a heat shield for probes.

I plan to use the stone as a dedicated pizza stone, just haven't got around to making pizza yet.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    DMW said:
    This thread reminds me of Hamfests. I wonder if a fleamarket/swapmeet the day prior to Eggfests would be possible? Everyone brings their un or under used stuff and leaves with slightly used stuff they want to try.

N3ZKB

I know that there are a few Facebook groups that are BGE Buy/Sell/Trade.  I managed to score a cover for mine from a guy who would up with two.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    1.  BGE cover.  Just unnecessary.  Now it rests over a chair on the patio, full of mouse holes and last year was home to a thriving ant colony.  Need to pitch it.
    2.  Cast iron grate.  Never used, not even once.  
    3.  Folding BGE grid extender (@RRP posted a picture).  The legs warped from using on heavyweight cooks - pizza stone and turkey (not at the same time  ;)). 
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited March 2015
    Options
    blasting said:

Jeepster, would you mind posting a pic of the aluminum plug?  Thanks.
    While we keep waiting for @Jeepster47 to reply with a picture of his recently pilfered aluminum one here is one I made of wood. The spiral dowel makes it safer to insert thus lessening the risk of burnt fingers while lowering the plug inside the hot neck of the Smokeware.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lowandslow
    lowandslow Posts: 122
    Options
    Grate handler.  Useless.  Much easier to use gloves.
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Here is my plug.  I really like it:

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I love the grate handler.  Especially on the XL.  I use it all the time.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Maverick here. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    DMW said:

N3ZKB
    KE5BWO
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    KD5EVA but I let it lapse.
    edited March 2015
    Options
    btw, when I say here is "my" plug.  I mean here is the plug I "borrowed" from @Jeepster47 's egg.  He really shouldn't travel so much.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    btw, when I say here is "my" plug.  I mean here is the plug I "borrowed" from @Jeepster47 's egg.  He really shouldn't travel so much.
    There really is a price tag on a life of leisure. 
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    To the Forum Admins: Can you create a buy/sell/trade forum that we can use to swap and sell unused items? This thread shows there is definitely a use for such a forum.  I see this in many other message boards and it works very well. Toughest part is keeping the commercial sellers from spamming it, but from my limited time here it appears that the retailers that participate are not actively hawking their products and are respectful of the community.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited July 2015
    Options
    To the Forum Admins: Can you create a buy/sell/trade forum that we can use to swap and sell unused items? This thread shows there is definitely a use for such a forum.  I see this in many other message boards and it works very well. Toughest part is keeping the commercial sellers from spamming it, but from my limited time here it appears that the retailers that participate are not actively hawking their products and are respectful of the community.
    I can't imagine Big Green Egg would support a page like that especially if it's a product that competes directly against them.  I just can't see it happening 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    Options
    I regret getting the useless grill brush.  I knew it was junk when I picked it up but I bought it anyway.  The scrubbers never stay on.  I use them to clean the grill grates with my tongs, or I use a ball of foil.  

LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    60 lbs of cowboy lump ! Everything bought is used at least twice a week.
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Platesetter and CI grates.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat