Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beginnings of my table build

Options
13»

Comments

• MADAC
    MADAC Posts: 8
    Options
    That's a fine looking table!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    gijoejd said:
    I picked up the gallon at the lumber yard where I got the cedar lumber. I just talked to the owner about what he liked and recommended and he showed me that stuff. 
    Sikkens is great!!   Used several coats on my table!

BTW...beautiful table!  Great job!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • gmbbs
    gmbbs Posts: 110
    Options
    Consider putting a 24x24" ceramic tile under the egg instead of using washers to space it up. Will give you an add'l 1/4-3/8" or so of clearance, and protect the wood from errant ash, sparks, embers, etc.

Nice looking table!
  • NeilTheBeerGuy
    Options
    nice and classy! 
    In the Pacific Northwest We cook outside! Year round! 
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Very professional job there, looks real quality and well constructed.  Same table saw as I have, I need to put mine to work
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    All these photos are NICE and even Inspirational.  

But, I'd much rather have a file from Google Sketchup so I could SEE a 3-D image of the table, walk around and get dimensions and such.

Here is a screenshot for my proposed XL table build.   Anyone who wants the Sketchup FILE has but to ask and I'll ship it off.

As for granite?   My piece is 30mm = about 1 1/4" and is 18"x24" weighing over 60lb.  maybe more.    Than ADD the little table nest for spacing from the granite.  I understand somebody makes little FEET which would also probably work.

• chupacabra
    Options
    @gijoejd the table looks great!  excellent work
    Marietta, Ga
    I feel bad for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Begger said:
    All these photos are NICE and even Inspirational.  

But, I'd much rather have a file from Google Sketchup so I could SEE a 3-D image of the table, walk around and get dimensions and such.

Here is a screenshot for my proposed XL table build.   Anyone who wants the Sketchup FILE has but to ask and I'll ship it off.

As for granite?   My piece is 30mm = about 1 1/4" and is 18"x24" weighing over 60lb.  maybe more.    Than ADD the little table nest for spacing from the granite.  I understand somebody makes little FEET which would also probably work.

Nice table.  I have done some on Sketch up, but can't figure out how to make it look nice like that.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Begger
    Options
    It takes time to 'paint' every surface with some chosen pattern.
    I went with dark for the tops and some lighter finish for the rails and posts.

Granite?  I went to the selection of 'stone' materials and chose from THAT list.

All surfaces are 'painted' so when I rotate thru the 'object' it looks like it should.

I can take off measurements, too, for a cut list and materials list.

For example, I need 12@ 2X4x27".   2x4s are REALLY 1 1/2" x 3 1/2" and drawn correctly.     For cost reasons I spec'd Doug Fir for the frame and beams while I'll get 3/4" in 4x (3 1/2") and 6x (5 1/2") which when spaced by my pattern with 1/4" between, ends up as exactly 32", a good width, IMO for an XL table.
  • Begger
    Options
    Framing view of lower table.    'cutouts' are for legs
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Begger said:
    Framing view of lower table.    'cutouts' are for legs
    This is cool.  My 6 year old son wouldn't let me have time to work with sketch up right now.  We are to busy playing.   I need to finish my design soon.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • gijoejd
    gijoejd Posts: 89
    Options
    I had to route out a small section for my hinge. I was going to just cut two smaller sections but decided this looked cleaner. 
  • dblalock1030
    Options

Two dimension questions for you.  What is the clear width opening at the front of each of your cabinets and what is the final height from the felt line to the ground?  Thanks and beautiful work. 

1 XLBGE and 1 MiniMax

Madison, AL

Life is good, why wouldn’t it be, I’m a Pirate after all. 

• gijoejd
    gijoejd Posts: 89
    Options
    Felt line is 37.5" and I absolutely love that cooking height.  My cabinet doors are 12.5"x21.5".  I have a bag of lump, fire starters, and lighter in one side.  The other side houses a pizza stone, rib rack, half moon raised grid, 2 bags of wood chunks, grate brush and lump stir stick....is that what it is even called?  I keep my plate setter in the area below the BGE.