Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

GROSS!

Options

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

I love Florida 8 months out of the year.  From November-June Florida is the best state to live in..the only thing I miss about Washington State or Colorado..is the winter.  It doesn't "feel" like Christmas or Thanksgiving anymore.  Sure the lights are up and the boob tube is set to classic Christmas tv shows and movies; and there's always the food. But there is no fireplace going and its 75 degrees outside.

I would surmise that California is the best state to live in climate-wise. it's 75 and dry year-round in some areas. I agree on the winter thing. I'd get really depressed if I couldn't experience the cold every year.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I'll put up with roaches for fall Saturdays in the South.  Nothing like the smell of egg smoke blowing thru the autumn leaves and SEC football on the TV after a morning whitetail hunt.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Home is where you make it, having lived (Army brat) and worked all over, just about everywhere has something unique to offer, although I can't recall much good to say about Saudi. 
    Living here in the Canadian rain forest, I do miss the winters I grew up with in eastern Ontario, but I sure do not miss the flies and mosquitos. 
    Like @GrannyX4, we too can have a mold problem if you don't use your egg weekly, not as bad as Florida, but all it needs is some moisture and time to develop. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Home is where the kids and Grands are. They are the only family I have and I don't want to miss any of those special moments. @mountaindew We had the fireplace on last night. Crazy! Turned the air down and we had a glass of wine wrapped in a blanket during a huge thunderstorm. Egg is humming today with 2 butts. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options

I love Florida 8 months out of the year.  From November-June Florida is the best state to live in..the only thing I miss about Washington State or Colorado..is the winter.  It doesn't "feel" like Christmas or Thanksgiving anymore.  Sure the lights are up and the boob tube is set to classic Christmas tv shows and movies; and there's always the food. But there is no fireplace going and its 75 degrees outside.

Some nights I'll crank the air down far to simulate a winter holiday night. I grew up in the north, and I agree that it doesn't feel like Christmas when some years you can go to the beach and take a dip.
    Dunedin, FL
  • bearBGE
    bearBGE Posts: 129
    edited July 2014
    Options
    No other place I'd rather be than the great state of Minnesota...Ok maybe one other place and that would be Colorado...but then I'd have to give up my ice fishing and bass fishing and replace it with fly fishing...I guess I could handle that...Winter isn't bad I still grill about 3-4 days a week...(in my garage)
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    bearBGE said:
    No other place I'd rather be than the great state of Minnesota...Ok maybe one other place and that would be Colorado...but then I'd have to give up my ice fishing and bass fishing and replace it with fly fishing...I guess I could handle that...Winter isn't bad I still grill about 3-4 days a week...(in my garage)
    The BGE isn't the only thing you can smoke in CO!

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited July 2014
    Options

Borax powder (often sold under the brand "Hot Shot") is cheap and great at keeping roaches from getting places.  We put it around the edges of the garage and at the base of the piers of the house and it definitely helps.  I'd put some around the base of your egg, or under the egg table if you aren't going to use it for a while.

Not sure about toxicity with pets, so read the labels.
    NOLA
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    buzd504 said:

Borax powder (often sold under the brand "Hot Shot") is cheap and great at keeping roaches from getting places.  We put it around the edges of the garage and at the base of the piers of the house and it definitely helps.  I'd put some around the base of your egg, or under the egg table if you aren't going to use it for a while.

Not sure about toxicity with pets, so read the labels.

Oh my, I had forgotten about Borax. Thanks for the reminder. ;;)
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    @Skiddymarker‌ I just finished using a whole spray bottle of Concrobium Mold Control that you recommended. It worked great. Thanks for your help. The umbrella is up, the cover is gone, my supples are stored in a container in the garage, no droppings, roaches or ants and no mold. I cooked 2 butts, a turkey breast and tonight steaks. The egg is back in use, clean and I'm much happier! Thanks for all your help and suggestions. ;;)
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Hope it works for you, it works on PNW mould, but then the stuff you get in Florida is tenacious, you have the humidity and heat. Glad to hear you are back in the outdoor kitchen so as to speak.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    RRP said:
    I hate to tell you folks who threw away things but you should  go out of your home in the dark of night with a flashlight and look at your siding, walks, patio furniture etc and I bet you will see more roaches than you care to! We have lived nestled in the woods for 34 years now and while we are clean people etc you have to realize roaches inhabit the outdoors - it's when they get inside you can go bananas, but outside they are everywhere!
    Not in CA.

I've lived my entire life in CA (except when the USAF sent me elsewhere) and I have never had cockroaches in or outside my home.  While in the USAF I experienced cockroaches in Texas, Mississippi, & South Korea so I know they live in other places and I expect there are homes with them in CA, but they do not exist all over the outdoors in CA.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    RRP said:
    I hate to tell you folks who threw away things but you should  go out of your home in the dark of night with a flashlight and look at your siding, walks, patio furniture etc and I bet you will see more roaches than you care to! We have lived nestled in the woods for 34 years now and while we are clean people etc you have to realize roaches inhabit the outdoors - it's when they get inside you can go bananas, but outside they are everywhere!
    Not in CA.

I've lived my entire life in CA (except when the USAF sent me elsewhere) and I have never had cockroaches in or outside my home.  While in the USAF I experienced cockroaches in Texas, Mississippi, & South Korea so I know they live in other places and I expect there are homes with them in CA, but they do not exist all over the outdoors in CA.
    have never seen an outdoor roach, have only seen one indoor roach up here and it was in a chinese resteraunt =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited March 2015
    Options
    As far as California is concerned.....there are a lot worse things than roaches!   =)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Zmokin
    edited March 2015
    Options
    As far as California is concerned.....there are a lot worse things than roaches!   =)
    Yep, you got me there, got no idea how to get rid of out of state visitors.  :cry: 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    Yep, you got me there, got no idea how to get rid of out of state visitors.  :cry: 
    Can you help us out with Pelosi? 
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    Along with the rest of her minions in Sacramento
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options

My big problem with Florida is all of the Floridians (present company excluded, of course).  Florida man is continually in the news and in the running for Darwin awards.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Zmokin
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    Um, I'm not in her district, so I don't get to vote against her.
    Sorry, can't help us much there.

• Zmokin
    Options
    logchief said:
    Along with the rest of her minions in Sacramento
    OK, I agree there are things much worse than cockroaches, but at least they don't directly invade my home or my backyard or my BGE.  It's funny, they do restrict the days I can have a fire in my fireplace, but the ordinance specifically exempts cooking devices.  so even on days they ban me from using my fireplace due to particulate count, I am legally allowed to smoke whatever meat I want in my BGE.

• Zmokin
    Options

My big problem with Florida is all of the Floridians (present company excluded, of course).  Florida man is continually in the news and in the running for Darwin awards.  

Isn't Florida the only state to have the same hurricane run into it twice?

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Zmokin Yes I believe so. Only the one you're referencing I believe hit as a CAT1 or 2 and then hit again weakened but destructive as a strong TS. We had several systems hit us that year. Good times. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Zmokin
    Options
    mountaindewbass said:

Well, like Dorothy said "There is no place like home".  You may think Florida is the best state to live in, and for you, I won't dispute that, but for me, CA is the best state to live in.  Florida has too much humidity and not a single mountain to climb.  Swampland is not my cup of tea.  I was raised in the dry heat of Northern CA.  I very rarely ever go fishing below 5,000 ft elevation.  There are no mountain streams for me to fish in Florida.

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    CA > FL     100 freakin % 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    is this a battle for last place to live, CA or FL =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    Florida is the hand I was dealt in the game of life.  My parents moved me to Florida in the middle of my sophomore in high school from Pittsburg.  Florida is where I meet MDSH, where we had our children and enjoy our Grands.  Are there better places to live - probably.  For me the love of family is my first choice no matter where that might be.  I am very pleased, however that it is in a warm climate.  Now back to the original post.  I am very happy to say now that I have removed the cover from the egg and table all problems are solved.  We put a big umbrella over the table and egg and now it is protected, for the most part, from sun and rain.  :relaxed: 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I'm feeling really good that a thread on cockroaches has more views and responses than anything I will ever cook.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    wait, I have an idea.

does anyone know how long to brine a cockroach?  raised direct?  fruit wood?
  • frtripp
    frtripp Posts: 3
    Options
    Blasphemy I tell you! You shall love your egg as yourself, saith the Scriptures. Do not neglect the egg. Spend time with her. Return to your first love. hahaha. 
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    They like the direct route and aren't particular about wood. :relaxed: