Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help Save My Marriage

Options
I plan on making baby back ribs (take two) this Saturday.  I like to chew or pull the meat off the bone and of course my wife (also take two) likes fall off the bone ribs (sigh). I really don't want to give in a just make fall off the bone ribs.  A nice compromise might be ribs that pull off the bone clean but are not falling apart.  Can someone recommend a method that I can attempt this weekend that will please whole family?

Thank you,

Matt  
Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  

Comments

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Simple...happy wife, happy life. Personally if it makes my wife happier, it makes me happier. Of course, there is nothing that says you can't make two totally different slabs during the same cook.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Other than cooking one set of ribs longer I can't think of anything.  I'm sure others will chime in.  Remember "happy wife, happy life" though,  Especially being #2.  Went down that road before and they get more expensive after you get rid of them.   =)
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    As mentioned, if you want both, then cook two racks (check out the X-X-X cooking method) and foil hers for around an hour or so.  Remove from foil and hit with Q sauce on BGE for about 20 mins and you are there.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Ditto!!!
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I would just do it her way. The title of your post implies you want to keep her so just give in. It took me a long time to figure that out. I am a lot happier now. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You DO know she's right don't you? I'm not saying I agree with the "SWMBO" philosophy, that's nonsense. I'm saying her ribs are better than yours. LOL

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Never tried it but you could leaving them whole and wrap her half at whatever point you decide they need wrapped.  Or you could just cut them in half and wrap hers.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    If you ever want to see her naked again, I recommend fall off the bone ribs with a smile on your face. 

You are wise, Grasshopper.  Now go fetch me a beer.
    Flint, Michigan
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    The most important part is the smile...
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    If she thinks you like the ribs that way, then you can have an "off day" every once in a while and make some with some chew to them.  
    Flint, Michigan
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Trust me, I very rarely make or serve food to my wife that I myself would eat.  It is seasoned differently, cooked to different doneness, plated differently, etc.  The key is finding things that you can make that are close enough you aren't making a much greater mess then necessary.  The foil hers, and do yours however you choose is the way to go. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Start hers first and foil hers. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • bi11fish
    bi11fish Posts: 36
    Options
    I always need to ask myself--Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Simple. Until you develop your own vajayjay you do it the way MaMa likes it. Or you can always do it your way on yours and foil hers midstream for fall off the bone. Happy wife....
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    Thanks guys,  I'm going to foil hers and see how it goes.  It almost seems too easy....
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Simple. Until you develop your own vajayjay you do it the way MaMa likes it. Or you can always do it your way on yours and foil hers midstream for fall off the bone. Happy wife....

HAH!  ROFL you are in top form this afternoon!  :l
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Marriage is grand, divorce is one hundred grand
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    And a Case Extend a hoe is priceless 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    mgd_egg said:
    Thanks guys,  I'm going to foil hers and see how it goes.  It almost seems too easy....
    I think that will work for you.  Foiling speeds up the cooking process, so if you cook them the same amount of time and foil hers some of the time they will cook faster thus be more fall-off-the-boney.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Do you lower the toilet seat and clean up your splash zone?
    Do you buy gas for her car and change her oil so she doesn't have to?
    Do you take out the garbage more often than she does?

Are you willing to say: "You want ribs your way, shake your butt outside and cook them yourself!"

We all do for them, and they do for us. I never have to make salad or empty the dishwasher, and I rarely do laundry or vacuum or change the sheets.

She wants her steak the other side of medium - I can make that happen even though I feel like I've ruined a ribeye.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    Do you lower the toilet seat and clean up your splash zone?
    Do you buy gas for her car and change her oil so she doesn't have to?
    Do you take out the garbage more often than she does?

So if I say not to 2 out of 3 is that I sign I'm in trouble?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    So if I say not to 2 out of 3 is that I sign I'm in trouble?  
    Probably not, but I'll assume the first one is non-negotiable.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Maybe remind her that Eve started with one of Adam's ribs, not the other way around.

...then duck.
  • Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options
    As one of the few women on this thread, y'all bring a tear to my eye!  I love how y'all are so good to the lady in your life!  At least on the food front.  

You know, it really is the little things you do for us that make us happy.  
    Of course, we do like the big things sometimes too.   =)
    Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited March 2015
    Options
    One of the few times this statement is actually true. THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID =)
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I sooooo wanted to post that @DoubleEgger.  Nicely played.