Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is the best cook you ever did to bring your families closer.

Or what is the best cook that maybe out of your league that you would want to attempt but think that you could never possibly try because you think that you would fail.

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    The one thing I want to try is a whole hog. I don't think I will fail I just don't have a vessel big enough to cook it. Guess that would be one to bring everyone together. Kind of a bucket list cook of you will
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • ilwaldens
    ilwaldens Posts: 27
    I want to make homemade pastrami.  Going to try that this summer once I get my BGE up and going.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    I would love to try to set up a rig to cold smoke Salmon sometime.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    I have a feeling this thread will take off. I am emotionally attached to my Egg for multiple reasons, one being memorable meals that brought the family together.  if I had to pick one meal, it would probably be the filet mignons I made for Christmas last year. 

I I have big plans for this summer though.  I want to attempt paella, and I want to dry age a whole ribeye roast like @BOWHUNR did, then cut steaks for a blowout meal for my buddies.  THAT would be special.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited March 2015
    Paella gets them together-but reading of the will is quite likely to be a much greater hit.  Just need to organize it right with the appropriate sides. :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited March 2015
    I made beef rending yesterday. Not on the egg but will do it next time. One hell of a lot of work but totally worth it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• leo123
    leo123 Posts: 101
     I had to look up beef rending to see what it was. I think you spelled it wrong. The recipe I saw was Beef Rendang. It's look interesting and I'll have to try.
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Probably 4th of July last year.  Did buffalo chicken thighs, burgers, brats, cedar planked mashed potatos and elotes (Mexican Street Corn) for 24 people.  It was a blast, the food was great, and the whole family had a good time.
    Pentwater, MI
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    edited March 2015
    Our cultesac cooked  a whole hog one New Year's  when the kids were young. The men took a few of the kids to the Atlanta Farmer's market to buy the pig. We surrounded the children coming and going to protect them from stray bullets. 

We loaded the pig in the back and the kids commented on  the "blue eyes". We stole a 55 gallon drum from a construction site, a neighbor had grates made to fit to burn coal . The adults stayed up (well, most of the adults) all night New Year's Eve. 

We used the drum for fire and built a concrete block bed for the coals (which melted the blacktop). We looked like a bunch of homeless folks huddled around the fire all night. 

That day, we had our car stereos all round the cultesac on the same station - surround sound, batteries died.  It was a blast. Adults drank, kids ran around and we had a feast around 4 in the afternoon. It didn't bring our family together but many families together.          

Two days later, the night before back to work, we had a leftovers party. 

All in all, it was perhaps the most memorable New Year's ever until we kicked Bama's behind in the Sugar! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Little Steven
    leo123 said:
     I had to look up beef rending to see what it was. I think you spelled it wrong. The recipe I saw was Beef Rendang. It's look interesting and I'll have to try.

I see I did spell it incorrectly. It wasn't me though, it just auto-corrected again to rending. Rendang daging is the right name for beef and the cooking method. If you don't cook out the liquid it is a curry.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• s_claus
    s_claus Posts: 74
    Did some baby backs on the LBGE back in January.  (I've only had my egg since Dec.) Had my kids, grandkids, sister and father there to celebrate Dad's 85th BD. I offered to take him out for dinner, cook steaks, or smoke the ribs and he chose ribs. Did them low and slow, indirect with PS with some hickory. Cooked until tender then wrapped in foil, wrapped that in a towel and let them sit for about 30 min while we finished the sides. Turned out super for my first rib cook on my egg. But making what Dad wanted was the best part.

(Sorry, it was before I joined the forum and didn't take any photos.)
    HO HO HO
    LBGE in Lawrenceville, GA
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Pizzas on the egg get my kids, and sometimes their friends, involved. Going to try and get them in on prep and such this year. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    Little Steven said: ... Rendang daging is the right name for beef and the cooking method. If you don't cook out the liquid it is a curry.
    we tried this dish at an Indonesian restaurant in Kowloon recently, very nice, reminds me of a similar dish my mom used to cook.  going to google for a recipe.
    canuckland
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Last year I invited my ladies over for a Mothers Day grillout.  My grandmother, mom and wife and the rest of the family.  Cooked a bunch of ribeyes and babyback ribs.  Meal turned out great and it felt great taking care of the women who have taken care of me my entire life.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Little Steven
    edited March 2015
    Little Steven said: ... Rendang daging is the right name for beef and the cooking method. If you don't cook out the liquid it is a curry.
    we tried this dish at an Indonesian restaurant in Kowloon recently, very nice, reminds me of a similar dish my mom used to cook.  going to google for a recipe.

Gary here is the one I used but I added some fish sauce, kecap manis and Thai birds when I started to reduce the stock

http://rasamalaysia.com/beef-rendang-recipe-rendang-daging/2/

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• What I've noticed is that pretty much every time I fire up the grill, only 1 so far on the BGE but many on my previous kamado, the family ends up gathered on the patio with me. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    great minds think alike, or fools seldom differ? I just printed that recipe, will add your mod, thanks.
    canuckland
  • Little Steven
    Omit the jiggery if you use the sweet kecap.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    The cooks that bring them out of the woodwork are pizzas, chicken wings, and smoked salmon.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    SaltySam said:
    I have a feeling this thread will take off. I am emotionally attached to my Egg for multiple reasons, one being memorable meals that brought the family together.  if I had to pick one meal, it would probably be the filet mignons I made for Christmas last year. 

I I have big plans for this summer though.  I want to attempt paella, and I want to dry age a whole ribeye roast like @BOWHUNR did, then cut steaks for a blowout meal for my buddies.  THAT would be special.

Sam, the ribeye (or standing rib) roasts are the best and so easy!!    If I might suggest some roasted potatoes:  these are one of our favorites.

B size potatoes, washed and patted dry.  Use a large mixing bowl, and add in about 1/4 c.  olive oil, and some generous amounts of any spices you want.  We usually do some garlic powder, cayenne, fresh ground black pepper and some kosher salt.  Toss that about until the potatoes get covered in oil and spice.

Grill next to the roast for about the last hour or so of your cook.  Don't worry if they blacken up some on the outside; that makes them better.  They should be crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside. 

Just a suggestion but one of our favorites.  We do these camping quite often because we can prepare in advance and put in a foodsaver bag.   Happy eats!

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I'm gonna say pulled pork because I cook it for our 4th of July party and prime rib, because we do one for Christmas. These are events where our extended family as well as immediate family are present and involved. 
  • Little Steven
    Omit the jiggery if you use the sweet kecap.

Dammit auto-correct....jaggery

Steve 

Caledon, ON