Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to BGE

Options
Hello everyone - I am new to this site and have been watching the post and reading discussions for the past week.  I have also been doing online research and comparative pricing about the BGE in my area.  I love to cook, grill and smoke (I have a bradley smoker) and my current 12 year old grill is falling apart.  So I am taking the plunge on a large BGE.  My question to the group is what accessories should I consider are the immediate need.  I think the Plate Setter, the pizza stone and perhaps a cast iron grate, but I am looking for suggestions from everyone's vast experience.

All comments welcome and thank you in advance for the advice.

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Insta read thermometer. Not sure you need the CI grate unless you're in love with grill marks. Look at ceramicgrillstore.com at their set ups before you purchase a platesetter. 

Also, welcome to the funhouse. 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Welcome! Get a Thermapen, and a plate setter. I have a cast iron grate, but I never use it. 

My advice would be not to over buy at this point. You don't want to get a bunch of stuff that you will never use. 

Post your pics! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    +1 John. Learn the egg, decide what you want to do, then buy stuff.  Platesetter vs woo is up for debate. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I am a proponent of the PS and the PS. The cast iron I also love, but if the pocket book is a concern, I would wait on that one. If the pocket book is not a concern, by all means. Also invest in a good instant read thermo. You get what you pay for. Speed and accuracy are key.  Just remember that the egg is extremely versatile. You need not be constrained to just smoking or BBQ per say. Enjoy, you won't be sorry. 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Your choice of lump and the method for starting your lump is something to consider as well. 

Where are you located?

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    If you haven't already got the PS. Might I suggest CGS Ceramic Grill Store (Tom) and an AR. This set-up will get you indirect cooking, raised direct and several others. It's quality built right here on American soil :plus_one: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • ilwaldens
    ilwaldens Posts: 27
    Options
    I am in northern Illinois close to the Wisconsin boarder.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Do not buy the big green egg branded instant read thermometer. Thermoworks makeshift good product. Ceramic grill store has a YouTube channel. I think only 2 videos. However it will expand the egg. Turn the lg into twice the cooker. If you decide to go with PS then I'd say the pswoo is a must. Great piece. I'd lean away from the cast iron for now. I use to us it but use a cast iron pan to sear. Welcome
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    ilwaldens said:
    I am in northern Illinois close to the Wisconsin boarder.
    I sent you a PM. Check your inbox. 
  • mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    Options
    I would highly recommend the CI grate.  One feature that it has that is not obvious at first is that it has 2 distinct sides.  The bars on it are triangle shaped, not round.  So one side has a flat surface with little space between the bars.  This is great for things like flaky fish, shrimp, asparagus, or smaller things that might fall between the bars on the stock grate.  

Other benefit is that you can buy two or 3 regular bricks(like a buck each), wrap them in foil, put them on top of the cast iron grate, then put your factory grate on top of it, and have a raised direct setup for very little money.  Or you can swap it around, and have the factory grate resting on the fire ring.

One other tip...  If you do raised direct like I mentioned, you can spread wood chips on the lower grate between the food and the coals.  They will smolder quite well there for awhile.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    If you haven't already got the PS. Might I suggest CGS Ceramic Grill Store (Tom) and an AR. This set-up will get you indirect cooking, raised direct and several others. It's quality built right here on American soil :plus_one: 
    Another thumbs up for CGS and the AR.  Great product.
    NOLA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The ability to do a raised direct cook, the grid at the felt line, is a must have. Wings, spatchcock chicken and veggies, IMO, all cook better raised direct. What @mlamb01 says above is a good idea (that's what I did). Buy the CI grid as a second grid. It does a good job with burgers when positioned flat side up and if set on the fire ring with some spacers (I use fire bricks) to space your regular grid at the felt line - you have raised direct. 
    For reverse sear, put the setter on the CI grid on the fire ring. Do the low part of the cook on the regular grid on the setter and when you pull the setter to sear, the CI grid is already very hot. Welcome!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Welcome. You probably saw this topic out forth by @johnkitchens this week. Lots of good comments by Eggsperienced Eggers.  You might some some $$ if you go through theses posts:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1177833/which-bge-accessory-has-been-a-game-changer-for-you#latest
    New Albany, Ohio 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey-the following may have some info you can use:

Here’s a link to all things ceramic-chances are if you have a question the answer is within this site somewhere.  Check out the recipe section for some great ideas. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm   For additional links to cooking/recipe sites; here are two very good ones, depending what you are cooking:  This site contains a wealth of the science behind Q cooking along with info on about every type of meat cook you would attempt: http://amazingribs.com/ Here’s the second one:  http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/  

After-market toys- With the BGE there are three basic styles of cooking;  “direct”-where the cooking grid is on top of the fire ring; “raised direct”-where the grid is elevated at least to the gasket-line (this setup requires after-market stuff-easiest is to get another grid and then use three fire bricks (or three empty aluminum beer cans) and place them on the grid at the fire ring and then put the second grid on top. The third is “indirect” where there is a heat deflector (platesetter or some other type stone) between the burning lump and the cooking grid.  This is the setup for low&slow long duration cooks.  I would get comfortable playing around with the BGE before any major after-market investments.  Will save you $$ in the long run. 

An observation-make sure you calibrate your dome thermo-boil some water, then insert the thermo and check the temp.  If not around 210*F, then note the off-set and use the nut on the back to correct.  Then recheck.

That's more than enough for now.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Welcome aboard.  I agree with the others on the AR.  Adds an immense amount of possibilities.  
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @Skiddymarker - Next time you do a reverse sear, try using a drip pan on the cast iron grid to shield the meat, instead of the platesetter.  Use bricks on the CI grid to hold up your cooking grid.  I found this works just the same as using a platesetter, but the drip pan is alot easier and safer to handle when hot.  
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    mlamb01 said:
    @Skiddymarker - Next time you do a reverse sear, try using a drip pan on the cast iron grid to shield the meat, instead of the platesetter.  Use bricks on the CI grid to hold up your cooking grid.  I found this works just the same as using a platesetter, but the drip pan is alot easier and safer to handle when hot.  
    That's a good suggestion if you are not comfortable moving a hot setter. MBGE setter is not an issue, pair of channel locks and the ash tool and out she comes. The setter reflects the heat down onto the CI grid, whereas a drip pan doesn't have the same effect. Even though the dome temp is 250º, the Ci grid under a setter is off the scale of my infrared thermo. 
    If I'm only doing a couple of steaks, I use an old pizza stone cut in half. Once the low cook is done, just slide the stone to the non-fire side. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I too am new to the BGE family and have 2 regrets about the purchase. 1st why in God's green earth did I not buy this 10yrs ago....must have been to cheap.  Secondly why didn't I just get the Medium to go with my XL when the boss (wife) told me to get what ever I wanted.  I think she had gotten tired of me looking and talking about them.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Welcome, congrats on a fine decision.
    You need- a method of cooking raised indirect, PS, or woo/ with stone
    A thermapen, or fast read thermometer
    A mapp torch for lighting your lump
    These are the NECESSITIES of the startup.
    Get more stuff when you have learned more, and have mastered your first few cooks, best of luck, and always come here for advice, we love to give it.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • ilwaldens
    ilwaldens Posts: 27
    Options
    Thank you all very much for the very warm welcome and the advice.  I have taken notes on recommendations and look forward to sharing my experiences with the group!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Welcome!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Welcome to a bunch of great Egg cookers, sure have been helpful for me.  Everybody has given great advice, now get that BGE and get cooking, you'll be amazed
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • wolfy16
    wolfy16 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi newbie!!  I am also a newbie!!  Cant wait to fire my BGE up this weekend!  Happy cooking!
    Pittsboro, NC    Large BGE
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Welcome to the insanity. I can't recommend enough what others have said about spending a little time with the Egg before you go crazy with accessories. Most important is the instant read thermometer. Don't forget to burp the egg if you are cooking above 350 or you will lose your arm hair or worse. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome. Get a new liver and an affordable divorce attorney. "Better call Saul".
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Welcome dont forget to take pictures
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • BigKlu
    BigKlu Posts: 14
    Options
    A foodsaver will be in your future as we have had the egg 3 months now and cook on the weekend for meals all week.  Need to buy a 3rd fridge as I had to take beer out on the garage refrigerator to store my purchases form the last trip to Restaurant Depot.  With regards to options I love the Maverick for all night cooks, would love to get a Stoker but too busy buying meats.
    XL BGE, Akorn and one very old Ducane... 
    HUSKER Football, UK Basketball (Went to 2 good sports schools)  
    Washington Mo.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Welcome aboard from mid-state Illinois! Just where abouts are you other than close to the state line?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Options
    Welcome to the funny farm.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon