Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Rub

Options
Are the big name rubs really worth the price? What's your "go to" rub? I've made my own for years and have been quite satisfied (both in end result taste and in price). Maybe I don't know what I'm missing????
Laurens,SC

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    If you're satisfied with what you have, stick with it.

A fun thing to do is try new rubs and attempt to reverse engineer them.

Personally, I'm a sucker for trying new rubs so I am always willing to snag a new one to try. I have way more than I'll ever need. If it comes down to it, I probably have 3-5 rubs that are "go-to" and the rest is up to my fancy.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I buy a lot rubs as well. My go to would be Dizzy Pig's Red Eye Express. I use a lot of it. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I just knew you were gonna say john henrys pecan rub. Hahaha!

Little Rock, AR

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    I have a "regular home-made go-to" rub for pork.  I use a few store bought for beef, chix or fish when not going simple like, salt pepper, onion and garlic. But I have tried to limit my purchases since I have several that were a "one-off" that I have acquired over time.   Fun to experiment at times however... 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    Options
    Following...

I have been taking rec's here for a bit. On ribs, butts I have been using Bad Byrons Butt rub. Great flavor with a little kick. Brisket either my own or just salt and Pepper.  I also have been using Dizzy Pig dust which is good and goes well with chx, burgers. I have always been a big fan of old bay, and still use it regularly. Just picked up a large shaker of Head Country rub out of Ponca City, OK. It's legendary down there. 

I am always on the hunt for rub as well but will keep it simple as I don't have the space, so I stick with what I like. I am very interested in Meat Church. If anything because they are from TX.
    LBGE - Nov/'14
    A Texan residing in Denver, CO.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Happy Holla is my go to for anything pork.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I use plowboys yardbird and DP ragin river more than anything else. 

Little Rock, AR

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Mickey`s coffee rub is my go to rub!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    My got to ones are Oakridge BBQ rubs and Texas BBQ rubs. 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    If you're satisfied with what you have, stick with it.

A fun thing to do is try new rubs and attempt to reverse engineer them.

Personally, I'm a sucker for trying new rubs so I am always willing to snag a new one to try. I have way more than I'll ever need. If it comes down to it, I probably have 3-5 rubs that are "go-to" and the rest is up to my fancy.
    I agree with @Eggcelsior.  I like trying new rubs and have some ones I really like, but I would love to try to make my own sometime.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    At this point I open cupboard, close my eyes, reach in and grab whatever. I need to start using this stuff. It is consuming my kitchen. 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• toothologist
    Options
    I buy a lot rubs as well. My go to would be Dizzy Pig's Red Eye Express. I use a lot of it. 
    I, too, appreciate many of Dizzy Pig's products. Jamaican Firewalk is one of my favorites. 
    "Quality and convenience are rarely seen walking hand in hand."- Alton Brown
    LBGE
    Northwest TN
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I like experimenting also and buy a lot of rubs. My go-tos are Pig Pounda Kappa, Bone Sucking Sauce Rub, my own blend, and my new FAVORITE...absolutely my favorite, Southern Soul Dust. Only found on Saint Simons Island in GA. I used it for the first time this weekend. I don't profit or benefit from it's sale in any way and I don't know the owners...this stuff is just awesome.

SSD.jpg 202.1K
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    There are so many out there, with so little time to try them all. Don't know if it was the original, but Dizzy Dust (coarse) is a great rub. I've added my own Cajun or Berbere spice to it and come up with some very good variations. To me, if it has some Turbinado or Demerara in it you can pretty much be assured of a good bark on low and slows.
    The only go to for me is Penzey's English Prime Rib Rub - it is the only one we use on rib roasts. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    GalanteNate_OneEa Posts: 967
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I use to make my own rubs. I still do for the most part, but I have recently started using Meat Church rubs and they have really impressed me. To be honest I have 4 lbs of rub sitting in my virtual shopping cart on meatchurch.com just waiting for the release of a new fajita rub so I can place my order. At first I was mad that I started using a commercial rub but they taste damn good lol. I will always make seasonings for different spins of flavor, but these are my go to bbq rubs for sure. Sometimes I'll use them as a base and add things for heat or just to try altering the flavor a bit. Worth a try, I'm glad I did.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    @DoubleEgger Love your avatar; who doesn't love the Nature Boy Rick Flair
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Off topic? The thread is called dry rub and the question posed was what comercial rubs do you use and are they worth it. I guess I just don't get it. Sorry to hijack the thread lol
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    First if you are happy with what you do might as well stick with it. I used to make my own but I have come to conclude I personally cannot make one I like as much as my two favorites. 

I am a huge fan of Bad Byron's. It is very versatile and also doesn't contain any sugar so it doesn't burn if used for a higher temp cook. It is great on anything. I put it on popcorn the other night. 

Dizzy Dust is another all purpose rub I use. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Off topic? The thread is called dry rub and the question posed was what comercial rubs do you use and are they worth it. I guess I just don't get it. Sorry to hijack the thread lol
    Hopefully it was an "off topic" mistake. Your post was not off topic, and I am betting he had fat fingers and hit it by mistake. I "liked" so maybe that will cancel it out! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Hopefully it was an "off topic" mistake. Your post was not off topic, and I am betting he had fat fingers and hit it by mistake. I "liked" so maybe that will cancel it out! 
    No worries, but thanks, I just never try to offend nor troll and I try to stay on topic as best I can lol so just found it odd.  Was hoping i wasn't crazy but then again I re-read the entire post about seven times to see if I did hijack it and could not see where I went wrong.  

Back on the real topic (hopefully) I only try a new rub if someone swears its worth it, and I really only plan to use it to influence my rub.  And by my rub I mean I have a real solid core base rub that I tend to always start with and tweak to the dish Im making (i.e. add sugar/sweetness if doing pork and so on)  I read somewhere why bother trying to do something that some one else has already worked a lifetime to prefect?  It is also difficult to keep fresh bulk seasonings so I don't know how cost effective it is to always try to make your own rubs.  But deep down I believe the whole reason I cook is to have my own flavor to share with others.  It's pretty rewarding the way someone looks at you when you explain that they can't buy what they are tasting lol.

Now honestly Im not sure if this was on or off topic…;)
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    No worries, but thanks, I just never try to offend nor troll and I try to stay on topic as best I can lol so just found it odd.  Was hoping i wasn't crazy but then again I re-read the entire post about seven times to see if I did hijack it and could not see where I went wrong.  

Back on the real topic (hopefully) I only try a new rub if someone swears its worth it, and I really only plan to use it to influence my rub.  And by my rub I mean I have a real solid core base rub that I tend to always start with and tweak to the dish Im making (i.e. add sugar/sweetness if doing pork and so on)  I read somewhere why bother trying to do something that some one else has already worked a lifetime to prefect?  It is also difficult to keep fresh bulk seasonings so I don't know how cost effective it is to always try to make your own rubs.  But deep down I believe the whole reason I cook is to have my own flavor to share with others.  It's pretty rewarding the way someone looks at you when you explain that they can't buy what they are tasting lol.

Now honestly Im not sure if this was on or off topic…;)
    Ya your not crazy at all....
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    @DoubleEgger Love your avatar; who doesn't love the Nature Boy Rick Flair
    Woooooo!