Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - chicago hockey

Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
in these days of political correctness how does the Chicago hockey team get away with their name?

Comments

• What?  They should be the "African-American Hawks"?  Just joking.  I hate them because I'm a Red Wing nut, but they are an original six NHL franchise.  I'm glad they have stayed under the PC radar.  As much as I hate to admit it, but their jersey is one of the coolest in all of sports.
    Flint, Michigan
  • From Wikipedia:

McLaughlin had been a commander with the 333rd Machine Gun Battalion of the 86th Infantry Division during World War I.[4] This Division was nicknamed the "Blackhawk Division", after a Native American of the Sauk nation, Black Hawk, who was a prominent figure in the history of Illinois.[4] McLaughlin named the new hockey team in honor of the military unit.
    Pentwater, MI
  • I think the idea is the Chicago Black Hawks are actually representative of a person although many think of it as a tribe (Chicago Sauk's does not have same ring to it) As a first nation name, similar to the use of the term Rochester Americans, it is politically correct. Cleveland Indians is close to being incorrect, but does not seem to upset folks the way Redskins does. Redskins to some, is similar to the terms spic, honky, dago or cracker. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I was thinking phonetically. 
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited February 2015
    From Wikipedia:

McLaughlin had been a commander with the 333rd Machine Gun Battalion of the 86th Infantry Division during World War I.[4] This Division was nicknamed the "Blackhawk Division", after a Native American of the Sauk nation, Black Hawk, who was a prominent figure in the history of Illinois.[4] McLaughlin named the new hockey team in honor of the military unit.
    It is pretty cool how the military tribute also ended up being a historical tribute to Chief Black Hawk and the Sauk of IL, who lived along the Rock River of the QC(3 hrs west of Chicago).  Received my prestigious Nursing degree from Black Hawk College. lol

Hiking the trails in Rock Island along the river is humbling. Like I need another reason to rally around the best franchise in the NHL.  B)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited February 2015
    Tjcoley said:
    I was thinking phonetically. 
    I see what you did there.

•   Wish we had a hockey team in Toronto....
    Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE
  • Last time I drink before responding to your post. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!