Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Texas vacation spots?

rholt
rholt Posts: 392
Hello all, since I know many of you are seasons travelers I thought I would ask yall. My family is planning a vacation this summer to some large body o water in texas. We went to surfside beach last year and felt somewhat underwhelmed. I was thinking some kind of lake house or something that would accommodate 12-15 folks. My lodging budget is right at 3000 bucks. Any advise or insider info would be great.

Comments

• bvdw
    bvdw Posts: 37
    what part of Texas would you like to visit?
  • Lake Livingston in east Texas is well known for its' fishing and has plenty of family friendly stuff, but no big cities close if the adults want that. The Wimberley area here in central Texas is beautiful, and not far from Austin, but the area lakes are low. We've had good luck using Home Away to rent vacation homes. Good luck!
    LBGE, platesetter, Stoker wifi, StokerX Mac software, Pit Pal for iOS, @HerringBigEgg on Twitter, joined forum in 2008
    Austin, TX
  • Cm23
    Cm23 Posts: 130
    I have a house on lake Livingston, great place to get away, big lake with little traffic.
    XL, 2 Large, Mini  -- Shenandoah, TX  Now BulletGrillHouse
  • rholt
    Thanks for all the info guys. I will definitely be looking into all of these places.
  • greenenvy
    greenenvy Posts: 87
    edited January 2015

Here's a place I was considering last year for an extended family get together:

http://www.paradisecanyon.com/

Edited to add another one I had bookmarked:

http://canyonlakeviewresort.com/category/accomodations/

your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential

LBGE in SATX

• What were you underwhelmed with? The TX beaches are great to have nearby but they aren't known for thier sugary sand and killer surf. I would say that if you are going to visit the beach here, i would stick with the better known areas. Galveston, S. Padre Island, Port Aransas. They have more established towns (or cities in the case of Galveston and Port A) so there is a lot more to do. I've lived here most of my life and have never heard of surf side beach. I had to google it...population 482. Sounds like a hoot. The other beaches I mentioned have bars, fishing, restaurants, tons of stuff to do. There would be thousands of people on the beach in all those areas on an average summer day. I would Imagine the actual beach is similar to surfside though so thats what you thought sucked, don't go back to the beach. S Padre has the best beaches and surf. It's just hard to get to. I live in the middle of the state and its 9 hours from my house.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    edited January 2015
    As a native Floridian who has lived in Texas for 18 years, I think South Padre has the only beach worth visiting for more than a day or two. It is a lot like the Gulf beaches of Florida.

We have had some good times on Lake Travis and Lake LBJ. I'm not sure about the water levels there currently.

There are also some good times to be had on the Frio River and the Guadalupe.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• LBJ is perfect. That's where I would go if you are doing the lake thing. Travis sucks right now-30% full. It's a puddle compared to its former self. Bummer.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    As a Texan, if I want a nice beach (blue ocean & white sand) --> I go east of the Mississippi river. Everything west is brown water & tarballs until you get to south Padre. East of Mississippi the water is blue.. Gulf shores Alabama and all points east are great. Like Cen-tex says - I'm convinced folks go to Mustang Island, North Parde because it's close, lots of area all to yourselves, and the cities are fun. I've done that too.  

Lakes are different - just don't want you to think blue water and white sand on the Texas gulf!

Rivers - tubing is great. agree with @foghorn.   Thats where it's at in Texas :)  Blue hole, too.  Tubing and bbq.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • rholt
    Well my uncle picked Surfside beach for offshore fishing reasons. Unfortunately, the beach is crap and was full of brown nasty sea weed the last time we went. I would have loved Port A or some other spot but he chose this one again. I will definitely look into those places when I plan the trip because he sucks at planning trips. Anywho, I appreciate your input greatly.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

Bummer.  Do you SCUBA?  If so, you might be able to get away for a couple of days on a boat that leaves from Freeport.

http://www.flingcharters.com/index.asp

Otherwise, from there you can do a day trip to Galveston or to the Houston Space Center.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Sorry about that.  I too had to look it up, looks super industrial.  It does look like it's a straight shot from there to Galveston without having to go back inland and around, much more to do there for the rest of the family.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I'd vote for tubing on the Guadalupe or Frio. If the 'Lupe, then you can head into Gruene at night for dinner and bars and maybe see a good show at Gruene Hall. Plus you have Schlitterbahn right there as well.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    Griffin said:

I'd vote for tubing on the Guadalupe or Frio. If the 'Lupe, then you can head into Gruene at night for dinner and bars and maybe see a good show at Gruene Hall. Plus you have Schlitterbahn right there as well.

Tubing the Guadalupe is one of my fondest Texas memories. A party on the water and when you drink so much you can't get out at the end you know its time for another turn.
  • rholt
    Yeah, we are definitely going to be hanging around galveston. We have been there before and went to some tropical gardens place with an aquarium. Just something to do because there is literally nothing in that little crap town besides the beach and maybe a subway. :((