Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MAYO

My buddy once told me to put mayo all over a pork butt to make sure the rub stayed on. Cool, I did that and it worked. Then I tried on steaks and chicken. I think its way better than a mustard base. Your thoughts?
St. Johns County, Florida

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Rub sticks just fine without wasting a perfectly good condiment. And with much less mess.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Absolutely agree with @Carolina_Q.  If you want to put something on there to help the rub stick just use some EVOO
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    @RRP‌ not being critical by all means do what makes you happy. I happy with EVOO or water and it's much less messy. That's all. Hell, we all do it different and it's all right!
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Rub sticks just fine without wasting a perfectly good condiment. And with much less mess.
    uhh...kinda disagree. This is up to a cordial discussion 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited January 2015
    :-q

Why add the extra fat imo.
    Seattle, WA
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    D
    RRP said:
    MaC122 said:
    My buddy once told me to put mayo all over a pork butt to make sure the rub stayed on. Cool, I did that and it worked. Then I tried on steaks and chicken. I think its way better than a mustard base. Your thoughts?
    I'm in the mayo use camp and proud to stand up for it! I will post a thread tomorrow of my kick butt spare ribs from tonight using Duke's Mayo in place of yellow mustard.  Don't be afraid to post what YOU like! As long as someone critical isn't buying your meat and buying your rubs and buying your lump then go for what YOU like - not what someone ELSE likes!
    Dukes mayo for the win!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Ron, he asked for our thoughts. I gave mine. Nothing more.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited January 2015
    RRP said:
    MaC122 said:
    . . . Your thoughts?
    I'm in the mayo use camp and proud to stand up for it! I will post a thread tomorrow of my kick butt spare ribs from tonight using Duke's Mayo in place of yellow mustard.  Don't be afraid to post what YOU like! As long as someone critical isn't buying your meat and buying your rubs and buying your lump then go for what YOU like - not what someone ELSE likes!

'Do what you like with what you pay for' is a concept as time-honored as most of the principles this nation has held since its beginning. =D>

I remind myself of that principle every time I have to bite my tongue and refrain from posting shoot-from-the-hip, un-solicited ridicule of some of the trends/fads/crazes that I've seen sweep through this space.

In example, the "Caveman" method was actually bragged about by several of the regulars here.  "WTF?!", I said to myself.  Damn.  They were proud that they'd dismissed centuries of grill grate technology! @-)  Bless their hearts. :|

I damned near lost a pint of blood from biting my tongue so hard.  But . . . as you say, it's their meat, they can char it if they want to.

Then, there was a minor wave of joy as some here were shown that they could make meat loaf stuffed with mashed potatoes!  And macaroni & cheese. WTF?!  Presumably because it's just too much trouble to move your fork 3 inches to scoop the mashed potatoes from your plate?! :-S

None of it matters.  I like seeing all of it - even the silly sh!t - because I just might get an idea from it . . . or learn something from it.  Or . . .  actually like it.

As for the mayo thing, I plan to try it at least once.   :-?  We've done the mustard thing several times and find it to be 'okay' as a binding element, but not all that necessary.  It imparts no taste that we can detect, so . . . ho hum.  (We even tried spicy brown mustard.  Again, snore.)

We'll try mayo and either adopt it or abandon it.  If it enhances taste/crust/etc, we're in!  If not, I'll just bite my tongue.  Again. B-)

I'm with you, RRP.  I want to see it all.  We can discard what's crazy (to us) and keep what we like.

As the Yolkster says, "We all do it different and it's all right!"  I'm sure Carolina_Q would agree.

;)

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• I like Tsang's Stir Fry Oil. Great garlic flavor!
    Flint, Michigan
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Really don't need such for a butt, IMHO.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Well put @Sardonicus‌
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    another option

canuckland
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    another option

Did that on my last butt.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited January 2015
    another option

Did that on my last butt.  

:-O We're still talking 'food' here, right?

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Hell, I've use a honey-sriracha mix for a binder for ribs before.  Probably wouldn't do it again, but still better than 99% of the ribs I have in a restaurant.  Point is, there are only one way to cook something "wrong" on the egg: cooking something in a way to you do not enjoy the finished product.  Try things, go crazy, eat well.

Pentwater, MI
  • I thought I had a original idea... then thought probably not and I was right. Going to try it anyways.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,167
    Mayo is pretty much just oil anyway and a bit of egg. I can see how it would work just fine like oil, but won't run on vertical surfaces. Until warm anyways.
    This reminded me I haven't made my own mayo in a while, have to change that.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Sometimes I roast chicken breasts with a Panko crumb crust. I like to coat the breasts in mayonnaise and then roll in bread crumbs. I feel I get a better coating of bread crumbs. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie said:
    Sometimes I roast chicken breasts with a Panko crumb crust. I like to coat the breasts in mayonnaise and then roll in bread crumbs. I feel I get a better coating of bread crumbs. 
    We sometimes use a mixture of Mayo, Ritz crackers and parm when roasting fish.  It’s excellent.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    SciAggie said:
    @SciAggie - I do the same, but use ranch dressing instead of mayo.  It is my wife's favorite way to eat chicken breast.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• The Mayo.... maybe softened the bark a bit? It’s been a while since I have smoked a butt so a side by side smoke would be better for comparison but for now I’m going to say it softened the bark and I liked it.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.