Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SV vs Egged Short Ribs

So I got my Anova for Christmas and have been playing with a few different thing.  Monday night I tossed in 5 lbs of beef short ribs for 48 hours @ 141F to finish in time for New Years Eve dinner.  The were without a doubt the most tender short ribs I've ever had, but it seems like they were missing some of the succulence you get for 5 hour smoked short ribs, with so much liquid being squeezed off into the bag.  Does anyone else have this issue?  OTOH prep could not have been easier.  10 minutes to vac seal them on the front end, 15 minutes to start the Egg, season and sear 48 hours later.

I love having both the Egg and Anova, now its a matter of grinding stuff out and figuring out which device is the best tool for the job depending on the meal. 
Pentwater, MI

Comments

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Smoke on the Egg after the SV bath.......but to answer your question, I do not have the issue you describe.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Yep, I agree. I think SV ribs need a dipping sauce in addition to sear/torch/fry.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • I LOVE my SV and use it at least 2x/week. That said, the 72hr short ribs were delicious to me but my family did not like the mouth-feel as compared to Egg'd ribs so guess whose opinions will trump all? I think the Egg smoke flavor is mandatory as compared to a blow torch IMHO.

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • I think it comes down to purpose and expectation.  SV short ribs would really lend them selves to being an entree for a fancy dinner with a pan-made wine sauce from the juices in the bag, but if you want BBQ-style ribs, fire is the only way to go.
    Pentwater, MI
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Our favourite meat from the ANOVA Trés Booblay is without a doubt tri-tip. Dust it with a rub of choice and into the 135º bath for 3 hours then a torch or CI sear. Served with a board sauce using the basics in the rub. 
    I wasn't happy with short ribs, guess we prefer the braised and smoked version.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!